Improvements or painting models

Phil1960

Hi All, I don’t know if here is the right place to post but, in general, if you had to choiche, do you prefer improvement/assembly of the kit or the painting/weathering process? I prefer the first phase😊! I’d like to know your thought. 
ciao Filippo

• Like 2

My favourite part is researching a vehicle and trying to individualise my model in some way. Assembly I find quite relaxing and is the phase I prefer. Painting I don't enjoy so much...wrong/right shade, too dark/light, too thick/thin, cleaning airbrush, masking, curing issues, peeling, reactions with weathering products and how the model can look so different in different lights  etc. 

Weathering can be quite good fun though all too easy to ruin a good model. The other thing about weathering is it can be a little overwhelming with all the potential options/materials and possible processes...easy to get lost in a sea of possibilities!

• Like 3

I like most stages of model making but my favourite is the weathering, as I get to try and make the model look more realistic and add a personal finish.

There is always the risk of going too far or messing it up, but if that happens I try to learn from it then stick it on the shelf and move on to the next one.

• Like 1

Always loved the building/modifying stage. Painting the basic colour/camo was ok, but I used to find I ran out of steam/interest in the weathering and finishing bit. Had a shelf full of stuff waiting to be finished. Terrible waste really. But that's life.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cklasse said:

I like the detailing part and assembly more than painting. I don’t have a permanent painting area, so it’s a lot of work to prepare for spray painting and cleaning up.

spacer.png

It looks very good although I'm not 100% certain of what it is.😀

I personally prefer painting because I’m rubbish at assembly. I find painting and weathering to be more creative as you have several options but the assembly a little dull as just following someone else’s guide … if that makes any sense. Also I’m a brush painter and so the whole construction and order of painting is a different to the guys who cheat… I mean airbrush… only kidding, I jest, I jest… I have nothing against airbrush’s I’ll probably get one in the future at some point it’d be handy more for my dioramas more than the models themselves. But ever modeller is different and it’s what ever suits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

the guys who cheat… I mean airbrush… only kidding, I jest, I jest…

I fully appreciate that you made this comment in good humour, but how is using an airbrush in any way "cheating"? Surely, it's using a different set of skills to produce effects that no other device can provide? I have a lot of admiration for folks who produce great-looking models, whether they do it with an airbrush, hairy-stick or any other way.  

Cheers.

Chris.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I fully appreciate that you made this comment in good humour, but how is using an airbrush in any way "cheating"? Surely, it's using a different set of skills to produce effects that no other device can provide? I have a lot of admiration for folks who produce great-looking models, whether they do it with an airbrush, hairy-stick or any other way.  

Cheers.

Chris.  

No it’s not cheating at all!!! I just meant it as a joke.

• Haha 1

I enjoy the assembly and weathering - like some others find the painting a chore!  I mainly paint using hairy sticks and rattle cans - I had an airbrush but no matter how much i practised, I just couldn't get the hang of it, so was back to hairy sticks!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:04 PM, sardaukar said:

I've always enjoyed building more and I love a bit of conversion and kitbashing. Painting can feel like a bit of a chore but I'm trying to train myself to enjoy it.

I'm the opposite. I much prefer painting and weathering to cutting out and cleaning up millions of wheels, tool clamps and track links! I think that's why I prefer Tamiya kits as they're a little bit kinder on the parts count compared to some other manufacturers. 😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IanC said:

I much prefer painting and weathering to cutting out and cleaning up millions of wheels, tool clamps and track links!

I do understand this, and will often choose a 'relaxing' build based on the complexity of the running gear.

• 8 months later...

I like both parts so have no real preference.  The assembly is satisfying and the painting for me is what finishes the kit and brings it to life. I do like the challenge of appplying wear and weathering to be as realistic as possible. 

I use a combination of brushes, airbrush, acrylic and enamel paints and some pigments, which I'm still trying to master! 😏

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

I enjoy designing & 3D printing my own models, by the time I've finished printing all the parts though I often start to lose interest/energy in the project. I have a whole separate "stash" of kits & conversions that I've 3D printed, then boxed up & put away. I really should just start building some of them, after all if I mess something up I can just print another! I have more ideas for projects then I have time to build them though 😅

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Actually I could break this down into, research/shopping, building/improvements, painting/weathering.

Some projects never make it past the shopping phase, to sit in the stash indefinitely as by the time the stuff turns up my mind may have picked up another project.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I like all aspects of a build; the construction/alteration/conversion, and then the painting and weathering. But if I had to chose I suppose that it would be the latter, because once I'm at that stage, I know that it's almost finished and I can now look forward to the next project.

John.

• Like 4

Definitely painting and weathering, which is why most of my AFV builds now are Tamiya, ensuring relatively quick and pain free construction. And I always like to add some figures, which adds another 'artistic' aspect. 

• Like 4

An interesting question. I hope no one minds an aerial interloper drawn by what bobbed up at the top. Because it is something applies to any modeling.

I started out more concerned with improving a kit, whether adding details or altering it to a better shape, or an older or newer version than the kit provides. I don't build as much open-cockpit types as I used to, so detailing a cockpit isn't so important.

I've curbed this in recent years, and concentrate now on overall finish. Weathering on aircraft is modest by compare to what you gentlemen do, and is best done with a light hand.

Research I like a great deal. It's fun finding details about a particular machine of a particular type at a particular time and place. I enjoy having a story to tell about a model.

• Like 3