1:48 SEAC Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe *FINISHED*

Dunny

Hi All,

Whilst commencing my 1:72 Stringbag build, I also felt like a bit of 1:48 indulgence. Seeing as @mark.au and @bigbadbadge have just started similar Spit builds, I thought 'well why not? I am a grown man, and nobody can tell me not to' (with the obvious exceptions 🤣). It was lurking right near the top of the stash, so I've just about got time to finish it prior to the start of the impending P38 GB (which I'm also rather excited about as it will be my first GB). So here's the box art:

20220814-094942.jpg

Here's the sprues:

20220814-100853.jpg

20220814-100939.jpg

They look lovely! I've got myself a few extras for this one:

20220814-094916.jpg

Although the box schemes are both quite attractive I've had a hankering for a SEAC Spit for a little while, so I also invested in the lovely Xtradecals set:

20220814-094924.jpg

Here's what's on offer:

20220814-103019.jpg

20220814-103024.jpg

This allows for some lovely schemes for both highback and bubbletop versions. I nearly plumped for the DG/LSG 208 Sqn scheme, but I've chosen to model SM888, which is an aircraft of 28 Sqn RAF, based at Kuala Lumpur in 1946. Now although this falls outside my normal self-imposed WW2 restriction, a quick bit of research informed me that SM888 was first delivered to theatre in June 1945, so technically I'm home & hosed. :guitar:

Here's a photo of the aircraft:

SM888b28-Sqn-RAFin-Combat-com-Spitfire-M

There's a few interesting things to note from the photo. Firstly, the scheme shows a red spinner, but the photo looks to be much lighter (Sky?) - conceivably the photo is from 28 Sqn's time in India, so I may go with the photo? Secondly, the camouflage pattern is non-standard on the fuselage as noted in the scheme. Thirdly, it looks as if the aircraft is fitted with a slipper tank, although it could just be the larger radiators fitted for the mighty Griffon - perhaps @Troy Smith might know? Anyway, the kit looks superb, so it will be a pleasant contrast seeing this develop alongside the Stringbag (as well as the concurrent Spit builds of Chris and Mark),

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 14

• Dunny changed the title to 1:48 SEAC Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe

Well that’s a great subject, let the Mk.XIV fun and games begin!  

I was pondering the same scheme because @bigbadbadge is doing his as an ETO RCAF aircraft.  But now I think I may do a Saigon-based 237S RAF airframe, RN218.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Well that’s a great subject, let the Mk.XIV fun and games begin!  

I was pondering the same scheme because @bigbadbadge is doing his as an ETO RCAF aircraft.  But now I think I may do a Saigon-based 237S RAF airframe, RN218.

Hi Mark,

My apologies - I didn't mean to steal your scheme! RN218 also looks lovely...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi Roger, 

It's  a lovely kit and am looking forward to having a decent Mk.XIV Bubbetop in the collection.  

That is a great scheme, I have the same Xtradecal sheet and did briefly look at the same scheme but I will do the similar scheme on a Mk.XVIII instead.

In your photo I wonder if the Spinner would be white as looks similar to rthe SEAC white stripe on the tail ?

Sorry @mark.au, i can change the scheme if you want as certainly don't want to tread on any toes.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry @mark.au, i can change the scheme if you want as certainly don't want to tread on any toes.

Chris

No! Not at all Chris, no toes were stepped on!  

I hadn’t made my mind up on what I was going to do, then I thought I’d see what you and Roger were going to do and choose something else.  I’ve settled on RN218 now, there’s a good story to tell with it and there’s a conundrum on whether it was green/brown or green/grey.  We all know how I love a good photo interpretation rabbit hole 😊

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I hadn’t made my mind up on wha5 I was going to do, then I thought I’d see what you and Roger were going to do and choose something else.  I’ve settled on RN218 now, there’s a good story to tell with it and there’s a conundrum on whether it was green/brown or green/grey.  We all know how I love a good interpretation rabbit hole 😊

Brilliant thanks Mark looking forward to you tackling the colour conundrum, alway makes for a fascinating build too.  

Chris

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I hadn’t made my mind up on what I was going to do, then I thought I’d see what you and Roger were going to do and choose something else.  I’ve settled on RN218 now, there’s a good story to tell with it and there’s a conundrum on whether it was green/brown or green/grey.  We all know how I love a good photo interpretation rabbit hole 😊

This should be interesting! Glad we got those sorted - really appreciate your flexibility Mark...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

In your photo I wonder if the Spinner would be white as looks similar to rthe SEAC white stripe on the tail

You may be right Chris - it sure ain't red!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

This mini GB is growing.

I'm looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Alistair

So you're in then? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

Pulls up a chair.

I'm looking forward to finishing the Hunter so I can start mine 😉

Welcome aboard! Will look out for the Hunter...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

There's a few interesting things to note from the photo. Firstly, the scheme shows a red spinner, but the photo looks to be much lighter (Sky?) - conceivably the photo is from 28 Sqn's time in India, so I may go with the photo? Secondly, the camouflage pattern is non-standard on the fuselage as noted in the scheme. Thirdly, it looks as if the aircraft is fitted with a slipper tank, although it could just be the larger radiators fitted for the mighty Griffon - perhaps @Troy Smith might know?

I'm not a fan of Xtradecal research, they make too many silly errors

The Aircam book reference mentioned is online, but the pic is a bit murky

08%20Supermarine%20Spitfire%20&%20Seafir

from https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Aircam-Aviation-Series/Supermarine-Spitfire-Mk-XII-24

I note that your source image is likely this

https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/august-2019-supermarine-spitfire-xiv-far-east-21-photos/

note this Spitfire XIV MV349/A, 28 Sqn, which is not white

RAF-in-Combat.com_Spitfire-Mk-XIV-Far-Ea

and  Spitfire XIV SM883/T, 28 Sqn, which looks white? 

RAF-in-Combat.com_Spitfire-Mk-XIV-Far-Ea

"SM888 FRXIV KEA G65 29MU 24-4-45 222MU 13-5-45 1PATP City of Chester 7-6-45 India 25-6-45 ACSEA 12-7-45 28Sq u/c collapsed on landing Seletar Singapore CE 6-5-47 SOC 5-6-47"

there are other 28 Sq planes in the link, Spitfire XIV MV300/K, 28 Sqn, Spitfire XIV MV320/X, 28 Sqn, 

which look white spinners.

I'd suggest for a 1945 build, do the spinner white,  there seems some evidence  that they did not later have white spiiners, and flight colours seems possible.    Maybe ask in the WWII section, 

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I'd suggest for a 1945 build, do the spinner white,  there seems some evidence  that they did not later have white spiiners, and flight colours seems possible.    Maybe ask in the WWII section

Thanks as ever Troy, that's gold dust

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like an interesting project and I'd like to do something similar. Are there any period colour photos of green/brown Spitfire XIVs? I'm guessing they were repainted in theatre, but does anyone have details? 

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Thanks 1

For what it’s worth, I have an old Fujimi 1/72 boxing of the FR MkXIVE in the stash, that has 4 options for No 28 Squadron in Malaysia, 1946.  Two have white spinners, and two, including SM888, have sky spinners.

Personally, I think red more likely.  Assuming it’s painted to ease identification, sky would be less noticeable than white, so what would be the benefit in that? 

Dave

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hendie said:

I'll follow along if I may.  I just finished building one of these as a 28 Sqn airframe a few months ago.

Welcome aboard - I have followed your 28 Sqn adventures with interest!

7 hours ago, Bedders said:

Looks like an interesting project and I'd like to do something similar. Are there any period colour photos of green/brown Spitfire XIVs? I'm guessing they were repainted in theatre, but does anyone have details? 

Justin

I have not seen any Justin, but I'm sure they do exist

5 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

For what it’s worth, I have an old Fujimi 1/72 boxing of the FR MkXIVE in the stash, that has 4 options for No 28 Squadron in Malaysia, 1946.  Two have white spinners, and two, including SM888, have sky spinners.

Personally, I think red more likely.  Assuming it’s painted to ease identification, sky would be less noticeable than white, so what would be the benefit in that? 

Dave

True Dave - the photo does look much lighter than red so I am leaning towards white...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’ll follow along too, if I may.  The bubble canopy spits were my favourites as a kid (I probably thought they looked more ‘modern’).

Welcome aboard - they certainly are new-fangled looking compared to early Spits!

Count me in too please, always  liked the SEAC schemes.

I have the same Xtradecal sheet too.

John

PS: I also like the ‘ desert ‘ schemes used in the Middle East, looks like I need at least one more FR 18.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Count me in too please, always  liked the SEAC schemes.

I have the same Xtradecal sheet too.

John

🇺🇦

Welcome aboard John! Plenty to choose from on that sheet...

On 14/08/2022 at 16:24, Bedders said:

Are there any period colour photos of green/brown Spitfire XIVs? I'm guessing they were repainted in theatre, but does anyone have details? 

Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers were standard in SEAC, but later on aircraft in European colours were not repainted.

I don't know of any colour images,  but there are indicators of repaints,  the main ones are,  white serials, lack of Sky band, low contrast of upper surface colours.

Have a look at the links I posted above to get an idea of what different airframes looked like. 

HTH

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Not wishing to become the laggard in our ever expanding informal group build, I thought I'd better get a leg on with the Spit today (after having watched my daughter's netball team win their elimination final today - yay 🤩). I'd actually done a fair bit of painting whilst working on my Taranto Stringbag last weekend, so today became more about construction. First order of business was the camera. Now I knew from information kindly provided by @Tail-Dragon on @bigbadbadge's build that the recon camera was not black as called out by Airfix, but a light grey - here's one of Colin's photos:

Image6

I therefore replicated this scheme, with the camera shown on its mounting frame:

20220827-125951.jpg

Cr*p photo - sorry! You can just about discern that I painted the inside of the lens barrel black as per the above pic. Next the undercarriage wells were completed - interior grey-green for the oleo section, and MSG for the wheel section (as noted by @Troy Smith - again on Chris' build):

20220827-095212.jpg

I likes that! I then turned my attention to building the cockpit. Whilst studying the destructions I noticed something which rather tickled me. Now I will say that I think that Airfix' instructions are generally very good, but I did notice this blooper. If you look at Step 10, the instrument panel assembly is built up:

20220827-095814.jpg

When we progress to Step 11, we have this:

20220827-095822.jpg

Compass assembly *magically appears* 🤣 The compass is actually located on the firewall component and is not even part of this assembly, so I can only assume the images were derived from an outdated version of CAD or somesuch error. Made me smile, anyway! (I don't get out much) Here's the cockpit sidewalls with PE bits 'n bobs added:

20220827-135634.jpg

Here's the compass, safely nestled in its correct position:

20220827-135658.jpg

Here's a shot of the IP, which is rather lovely:

20220827-140336.jpg

Again, rather blurry, but you get the idea. The cockpit assembly went together without a hitch:

20220827-144109.jpg

And here with the harness added:

20220827-145053.jpg

The fuselage was then buttoned up - here's a nice peekaboo shot of the camera:

20220827-145513.jpg

Unlike Chris' build I had no issues with the wing roots - in fact they went together... seamlessly?

20220827-155254.jpg

Here's a final shot showing the state of play:

20220827-163106.jpg

Don't tell anyone, but I think there may be a whiff of primer in the morning. I'm very much enjoying this kit,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 10