Question for P-3B Experts – Sonobuoy System

rhamilton007

The P-3B series has a sonobuoy system that can be manually loaded (six sonar buoy’s) from the cabin, just in for the crew door. Yet the underside fuselage does not have any exposed sonar buoy shoots like the P-3C series. There is a panel where the shoots should be.

Question – Is the P-3B shoots like the Neptune where a spring loaded door opens as the sonar buoys are ejected and then immediately closes. Or are the doors more mechanical?

Would anyone have a photo of this panel in the open position?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, rhamilton007 said:

Yet the underside fuselage does not have any exposed sonar buoy shoots like the P-3C series. There is a panel where the shoots should be.

My Dad worked on/Maintained the RNZAF P3B's.

From my discussion with him, the P3B had only one chute opening for

the Sonobuoy to exit Port side, aft of rear entry hatch.

I don't recall any doors etc. and any of the "Technical publications" he received from Lockheed

are all with my sister (funnily enough in Adelaide ^_^)

You can see the exit opening in this RNZAF Photo circa 1971, just above the far RHS Crewman's (2nd row)

side cap

WhG545-71.t6151021e.m600.xdxXD6vdG.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

Just as a bit of historical trivia, my Mum, had for many years a used Sonobuoy metal transport casing

for storing her knitting Needles in.

Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, LDSModeller said:

You can see the exit opening in this RNZAF Photo circa 1971, just above the far RHS Crewman's (2nd row)

side cap

That's the Outflow Valve exit vent. The sonobuoy chute is further forward and inboard

🤣 It's the exit point for the pressurisation control valve. Most pressurised aircraft have two - an Outflow Valve (normal control) and a Safety Valve to prevent over-pressurisation (just in case the Outflow Valve fails closed).

18 hours ago, Bell209 said:

That's the Outflow Valve exit vent. The sonobuoy chute is further forward and inboard

Yes - Thank you you're quite right, (looking at photos just recently made me think about that)

I actually have a photo of the chute tucked away some where (never available when needed ^_^)

Thanks/regards

Alan