Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair, 1 Servicing Unit RNZAF, Henderson Field - Guadalcanal 1944 Bitsa

G'day all.

Another finished in time for our annual show next weekend.

It's the 1/48th Tamiya F4U-1A as an RNZAF machine with 1 Servicing Until while at Henderson Field at Guadalcanal in 1944. This one is an interesting one as it is a spliced airframe from two crashed aircraft, hence the different schemes fore and aft. A bit of aftermarket was used; Eduard belts, a Yahu instrument panel and markings from Xtradecal. I had to make a new pitot as the sprue it was on was thrown out thinking that it was empty...doh.

There's lots pf layer of paint, oils and weathering effect to get it appearing as it did. In the reference photos I've found it appears that the forward half had a lot mor wear and tear than the rear. Certainly a subjective interpretation but there's lots of scope to weather it up.

Cheers, Mick.

IMG20220813220113-01.jpg

IMG20220813220125-01.jpg

IMG20220813220151-01.jpg

IMG20220813220251-01.jpg

IMG20220813220316-01.jpg

IMG20220813220510-01.jpg

IMG20220813221652-01.jpg

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, WhiskySierraKilo said:

Hi Mick, a beautiful rendition.

The weathering just draws the eyes.

Annual show in Brisbane next weekend ?  Plz tell me more.

w.

Thanks!

QMHE (Queensland Model Hobbies Expo) is on next weekend 20/21 August at the Ipswich Events Centre. The Queensland Scale Model Championships are held at the event.

The show details are here -> https://qmhe.com/

Stop by the St Edmund's Old Boys Model Club and say hi. The Corsair (an a heap of others) will be on our display.

Mick

2 minutes ago, Mick Drover said:

Thanks!

QMHE (Queensland Model Hobbies Expo) is on next weekend 20/21 August at the Ipswich Events Centre. The Queensland Scale Model Championships are held at the event.

The show details are here -> https://qmhe.com/

Stop by the St Edmund's Old Boys Model Club and say hi. The Corsair (an a heap of others) will be on our display.

Mick

Mick - thank you.
I'm in Ipswich and I keep missing the show every year.
I'll be there.

Cheers & thanks again,

William.

very nice, did you paint the rivets individually?

I really like the use of slightly different blues on the fuselage along with the white panel and fuel tank.

Also the "dusty/sandy" appearance works very well, not an easy effect and its difficult to imagine how you could have done it better.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

On 8/14/2022 at 12:12 PM, WhiskySierraKilo said:

Mick - thank you.
I'm in Ipswich and I keep missing the show every year.
I'll be there.

Cheers & thanks again,

William.

That's great to hear William. Please do stop by and say hi. If I'm not at the display just ask for me and the fellas can point me out.

20 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I like that, it looks very convincing to my mind. Nicely done. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve. 

19 hours ago, shortCummins said:

very nice, did you paint the rivets individually?

I really like the use of slightly different blues on the fuselage along with the white panel and fuel tank.

Also the "dusty/sandy" appearance works very well, not an easy effect and its difficult to imagine how you could have done it better.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks John. The rivets carry a light coloured wash, a much better way than individually go over them with a paint brush. 

This model was a lot of fun to weather and being a dark airframe difficult to make appear interesting. There are lot of layered oils and some fiddly applications in areas to achieve the look. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Cheers,

Mick

16 hours ago, Troffa said:

That's a belter! Lovely job sir!

Cheers Troffa!

16 hours ago, Russmeister 101 said:

What a cracking Corsair!

Bravo that man! 👏

:bows to the crowd:

Thanks Russ.

13 hours ago, David H said:

Looks very nice, Mick!

Thanks David

13 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Masterful job on the weathering! 

👌

10 hours ago, Roberto said:

Mate, this is so good! Bravo 👍

Thanks Roberto.

7 hours ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

👍

• Like 1

It looks lovely! I found it shocking at first look. Not shocking as in terrible, but shocking as in it hit me right between the eyes and my first thought was gosh, this pile of worn out junk is what the winners were going to war in? It shocked me into imagining a pilot climbing into that and trusting it with his life when it looks like not all of it will make it to the end of the carrier deck.

But that's what the pilots did.  My mind got used to the idea and I thought about the pilot that was climbing into that faded, scratched, worn Corsair knowing it was the same aircraft that had carried him safely through battle yesterday and the day before that. An aircraft he trusted implicitly and had built a relationship with.

So, thanks and well done for posting a build that set my imagination alight!

On 8/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, kiseca said:

gosh, this pile of worn out junk is what the winners were going to war

It's important to bear in mind that these aircraft were "Owned" by the RNZAF Servicing

Units (SU) and "Loaned" to the Operational Squadrons to fly them

The RNZAF SU's maintained high levels of Maintenance to keep these airframes flying.

Yes, prangs did happen, but not due to SU lack of maintenance.

The finish on this model as shown would be more toward the end of WWII.

Note in this RNZAF photo, NZ5307/NZ5272 as rear aircraft

MUS9800318.t623cbe9b.m800.xmRsYbBBE.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

When these two airframes were spliced, they both had less than two months flying time each, so the paint finish would not have

been as worn (except getting a sun tan while sitting in an RNZAF Bone yard) as their contemporaries in operation

DWCorsair2_1_1.t60020b6d.m800.xjKsKPzL9.

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

The Environment (Sun etc)  did their number on the paint, but note also, the SU's used

Aviation Spirit (fuel) to clean the airframes, as it was the only thing that was effective in removing

coral dust ;)

Regards

Alan

• Like 3