Mk. XIVe - Finished and now a bonus Spitfire XIVc also finished.

16 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Fantastic finish Chris. I still need to build my spitfire. I do t know why I haven’t got one. 🤔 the paint work is just exquisite. 👏👏👏 And your attention to detail is to be admired. The spit is fantastic too.  Maybe a spot next for me? 🤔

Johnny.

ps. As for the invasion stripes. I personally think another coat but don’t let me be your guide. You know my track record. 

Thanks Johnny there are some racking kits out there and what with your ability to 3D those excellent parts you do  you could do a cracking model. Go on, you know you want to 😉

12 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nicely done Chris,

I'm in two minds about the white.

There's part of me thinking that the translucent finish will look really good after the black and some light weathering on top.

The big feardie in me would add more white just in case it doesn't look how I'd imagine it.

The thing is I know you could give it more white afterwards with your superior painting skills.

I'm rambling now but it's your kit you build it how you feel you want it.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind of you indeed, I want to do the edges a bit raggedy too.

Thanks guys, I have an idea to add some streaky areas to impart a rushed look.

Watch this space.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Looking good Chris - I reckon the white could go another coat,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, yes I agree with you , Johnny and Alistair,  will do another coat and will try to get it a bit patchy with some brushwork visible  will see how it turns out😬

Chris

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

will do another coat and will try to get it a bit patchy with some brushwork visible

Sounds about right Chris. I thought possibly another light coat. What you have looks OK and when the black is on the contrast will make the white stand out more.

A really super looking Spitfire, I love the exhaust staining. But... I am a little bit worried about the red crow bar.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Sounds about right Chris. I thought possibly another light coat. What you have looks OK and when the black is on the contrast will make the white stand out more.

A really super looking Spitfire, I love the exhaust staining. But... I am a little bit worried about the red crow bar.

Cheers,

Thanks Charlie yes will definitely do another white coat but will ironically try and make it looked brushed on!!! The red crow bar will be repainted .  I built this many years ago in the early naughties and dis not know better then🙄

32 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Not sure you're capable of that. :wicked::lol:.

Cheers,

Alistair

😄 thanks Alistair,  it certainly goes against the grain and all I usually work towards🙄🤪

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

I’ve started painting my crowbars steel recently.

I don’t know how neat you intend to make your stripes but for a ‘ hastily done ‘ finish I use household masking tape, scored then carefully torn so produce a slightly uneven edge. It works with airbrushed paint, but I haven’t tried it with brush painted yet.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve started painting my crowbars steel recently.

I don’t know how neat you intend to make your stripes but for a ‘ hastily done ‘ finish I use household masking tape, scored then carefully torn so produce a slightly uneven edge. It works with airbrushed paint, but I haven’t tried it with brush painted yet.

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks John that's a great idea re the tape. I got caught out there with the crow bar, I have since painted it:whistle:

This is a set of stripes I did on a Mustang Mk.III and this shows what I did around the lettering and roundels

spacer.png

spacer.png

Again this is a very old model so apologies for any inaccuracies. 

Thanks for the tip John might have to try that. 

Chris

• Like 12

On 10/28/2022 at 8:41 AM, bigbadbadge said:

invasion stripes base coat added, not dure whether to coat again or just leave  slightly translucent as looks sort of weathered ??? What do you guys think?

Depends a bit on exactly when this represents, Chris.  But, generally, any time after about 20 June the translucent look would work.  Also worth noting is that quite commonly the stripes bled over the edges of code letters and roundels rather than stopped short, at least based on many of the photos of untouched up - freshly applied - invasion stripes.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them either way!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Depends a bit on exactly when this represents, Chris.  But, generally, any time after about 20 June the translucent look would work.  Also worth noting is that quite commonly the stripes bled over the edges of code letters and roundels rather than stopped short, at least based on many of the photos of untouched up - freshly applied - invasion stripes.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them either way!

Thanks Mark, I did end up doing another coat although quite patchy and hopefully will look okay, fingers crossed.  Hopefully will get the black stripes on tomorrow , unless I play with the white a bit more🤔

Also will be adding the final bits and bobs to the Swordfish too. 

Chris

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

hopefully will look okay, fingers crossed. 

My confidence level is high on this matter

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi all

Managed to get the black stripes on , the wavy lines are deliberate honest.

spacer.png

I have added some chipping through to the MSG below

spacer.png

Especially on the leading edges of the wings and Rads

spacer.png

And one with flash on

spacer.png

Fuselage decals next 

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 13

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

the wavy lines are deliberate totally accurate, honest.

Fixed that for you.  Shaping up very nicely.

I have figured out what my next Mk.XIV will be…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Fixed that for you.  Shaping up very nicely.

I have figured out what my next Mk.XIV will be…

😄 Thanks Mark, looking forward to getting the decals on now.

Oooooooo what one  you can't leave us in suspense???

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice restoration work on the XIVe Chris. I like the look of that P-51 as well.

Terry

Thanks Terry, very pleased with how it's shaping up,  the Mustang was the old ICM kit and does look good, it was my best effort on stripes when I built it.

3 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Stripes look just right Chris 👍.

Thanks Charlie,  pleased with the look now and the crowbar is no longer red😉 decals next.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Looking properly scruffy as they should be.

Cracking stuff.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  I had to stop myself from going any further with them otherwise would have gone too far.

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Looking good, the stripes look good especially as the groundcrew did them with a yardbrush.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,  it was really tempting to do them well but had to remember how hastily applied they were.  Pleased with how it's turning out. 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1