Mk. XIVe - Finished and now a bonus Spitfire XIVc also finished.

Ooo yes Chris, what a cracker. One of your very best I think. I know you've told us how, but I still maintain it must be black magic how you can get such subtle colour variations and fine demarcation tapering with the ol hairy stick. Fantastic work! 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I am inspired to build more Spitfires, although need to finish my Swordfish,  Gee Bee in a GB, the 32nd Sea Venom. I might still start another 😉

Hoi where's my long promised beaufighter!😝

Andy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob K. said:

Amazing model. And brush painted as well. Would love to 

learn how to do this that well. Great Spitfire!

Rgds

Rob

Thanks Rob very kind, I really do love the painting side, it is very therapeutic and not as hard as you might think, I would struggle with an airbrush,  I'm sure.

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Superb result. One to be very proud of.

Thanks Tony, got to love a Spitfire , you can never have too many😉

1 hour ago, Winded Penguin said:

Lovely colour scheme and decals. Built with such care, and it's obviously so  👍

I particularly like the realistic overlap you've contrived for the fuel tank cover.

Especially, since that is one area of the kit the creates opportunities 'where none need exist'.

Thanks WP, very pleased with the way it turned out.  The fuel tank dwas Thanks to Troy pointing out the Paul Budzik videos he linked at the beginning of this thread, well worth a watch.  

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

What more can I say? fantastic.

John.  🇺🇦

Thanks John, really enjoyed this one.

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Ooo yes Chris, what a cracker. One of your very best I think. I know you've told us how, but I still maintain it must be black magic how you can get such subtle colour variations and fine demarcation tapering with the ol hairy stick. Fantastic work! 

Hoi where's my long promised beaufighter!😝

Andy

😄 Thanks Andy, very kind,  the kit is a cracker and very enjoyable.   I haven't forgotten the Beaufighter, and have cut all the resin bits for the conversion.   I will get to it as, I do like to have multiple builds on the go😉

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

I rather think you are that master of the craft that needs no airbrush like us mortals.  You do tremendous work Chris, and as is said above, this is some of your best.

Thanks Mark very kind of you to say that, it is not as hard as you think, I was just not in a position to use an airbrush due to fees etc  so have just carried on with brushes really.  

53 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Another beauty Chris !!

Can't wait for the RFI...

CC

Thanks CC really pleased with it.  Will get some photos tomorrow as I am taking the car out for a retros run or two on Sunday.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looks fantastic Chris. Stick with the brush!

Superb weathering, I love the close ups of the door.

Thanks Charlie, I certainly am very comfortable with a brush,  the door is a Barracuda replacement and is very nice but had no crowbar(not meant for a XIV), but easily made from brass rod.  The chipping didn't show in the pics though.

Chris

• Like 4

Chris,

What a stunning finish! It is a very easy kit to like, but lifted to another level by your attention to detail and of course superb painting! Well done mate,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

What a stunning finish! It is a very easy kit to like, but lifted to another level by your attention to detail and of course superb painting! Well done mate,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, really kind of you fella, it is a lovely kit, and enjoyable to build and paint,  I have another with an Eduard PE set and some other bits to add to improve things a bit😉

Thanks to you and all the others for following along too. 

Chris

• Like 3

On 10/14/2022 at 7:20 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Really chuffed with this one

Me too.  

On 10/14/2022 at 7:20 PM, bigbadbadge said:

I am inspired to build more Spitfires,

And I’m inspired to watch you doing so, Chris.

Gorgeous Spit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Me too.  

And I’m inspired to watch you doing so, Chris.

Gorgeous Spit.

Thanks Steve, very kind, chosen another couple to do, dome PRU blue and an EDSG scheme too, amongst other builds too.  

CC has been a bad influence on me😄

Chris

• Like 3

Hi all

Just thought I would add this one  too as a bonus Spitfire,  it's one I did quite a few years ago  and is the Academy Mk.XIVc .  I used the Daco nose correction set and Watermark decals and made it a spurious machine , so what with the Xtradecal set I got for the multiple Mk.XIVe  models there is a C on ghe sheet too sk thought I would make use of it.

Here it is after the offending decals were removed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will re do some of this one to make a correct model.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

• Like 17

• bigbadbadge changed the title to SuperSpitfire, Airfix FR Mk. XIVe - Finished and now a bonus Spitfire XIVc.
6 hours ago, AliGauld said:

And more magic going to be shown,

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  thought it's about time I sorted this one.

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Ooh - bonus! Will look forward to seeing how you go!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, hopefully will be able to revamp this one quite quickly, famous last words🤪😉

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

That’s very nice, Chris.

Oh boy, I’m losing all resistance to building a Mk.XIVc…, somehow, some way…. maybe even before the P-38….

Ah ha,the Spitfire's revenge!!!  Go on , you know you want to:whistle:  Thanks Mark

3 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

Another XIV topic from the same stable. Yes please!

Thanks WP, watch this space.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all 

Some progress on the bonus Spitfire 

Restoration of areas behind roundels has been done apart from the sky band

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wheel Well colour corrected

spacer.png

invasion stripes base coat added, not dure whether to coat again or just leave  slightly translucent as looks sort of weathered ??? What do you guys think?

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 10

Fantastic finish Chris. I still need to build my spitfire. I do t know why I haven’t got one. 🤔 the paint work is just exquisite. 👏👏👏 And your attention to detail is to be admired. The spit is fantastic too.  Maybe a spot next for me? 🤔

Johnny.

ps. As for the invasion stripes. I personally think another coat but don’t let me be your guide. You know my track record. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done Chris,

I'm in two minds about the white.

There's part of me thinking that the translucent finish will look really good after the black and some light weathering on top.

The big feardie in me would add more white just in case it doesn't look how I'd imagine it.

The thing is I know you could give it more white afterwards with your superior painting skills.

I'm rambling now but it's your kit you build it how you feel you want it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1