Mk. XIVe - Finished and now a bonus Spitfire XIVc also finished.

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

And it does! Always nice when the second colour goes on. Looks good Chris!

Thanks Charlie,  yes it starts to get exciting now, hopefully only another two coats of green, 🤞 

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

'From now on'? It's been looking good from the start Chris - just sayin',

Cheers,

Roger

😄 thanks Roger, very kind fella.  I meant if really starts to look like a Spitfire now.

Dug our a couple of Mk.IXs to build too as I am all Spitfired up for more.

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I couldn't put it better myself.

"Excellent"*

Cheers,

Alistair

©️David Banks

Thanks Alistair 😊,  very kind.  Iam enjoying the current builds very much. 

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

Wot ^^^^ they said.

😄 Thanks Mark,  very kind.

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

And wot ^^^^^they said.

You've got a distinct soft demarcation there over the rear fuselage, how did you do that with a brush?

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks John, very kind too.  I don't think the initial paint used for the edges of the camo, just a small amount is put on the brush (an old knackered brush) and I paint the pattern I want just inside the line I wish to take, when you have used the paint in the brush the start of the line is drying and so I go back over it in a swirling pattern and it starts to smudge the edge of the demarcation line and then infill with some thinned paint.   It takes a bit longer than airbrushing , but is immensely satisfying. Worth a go!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 6

Hi all

Second thinned coat of DG brushed on. One more then the post shading

spacer.png

spacer.png

John @Biggles87, with this second coat I am using a slightly larger flat brush and I don't go right up to the demarcation as the paint will creep towards it slightly but not all the way so means you don't have to rub the brudh along the line, this is only needed generally on the first coat. This means the painting speeds up quite a bit.

Pleased with that.

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, Dunny said:

And so you should be - looks awesome!

Thanks Roger, getting quite excited now as won't be too long to completion,  I have the Gee Bee in the GB which starts in a few days  and I have a couple more 32nd scale builds at the top of the stash as well as some more Spitfires to get started.  

Chris

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Roger, getting quite excited now as won't be too long to completion,  I have the Gee Bee in the GB which starts in a few days  and I have a couple more 32nd scale builds at the top of the stash as well as some more Spitfires to get started.  

Chris

Look forward to seeing the Gee Bee - an unusual little brute! I'm not sure which way to go next, I think I've fulfilled my Spit quota for the year. Maybe Blenheim Mk.I, maybe repeat my failed Beaufort, or maybe a Typhoon Mk.II/Mk.V combo. Hmmmm - maybe I'll just focus on the P38 and Stringbag!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Look forward to seeing the Gee Bee - an unusual little brute! I'm not sure which way to go next, I think I've fulfilled my Spit quota for the year. Maybe Blenheim Mk.I, maybe repeat my failed Beaufort, or maybe a Typhoon Mk.II/Mk.V combo. Hmmmm - maybe I'll just focus on the P38 and Stringbag!

Cheers,

Roger

Ooooooo some nice kits there Roger, got the Blenheim in the stash too. The P38 and Stringbag are lovely too. The Tiffies sounds like a good project .  One can never have too many Spitfires on the go you know😄😉

The Gee Bee is the Z model the yellow and black one and it certainly is an unusual looking aircraft, I hope I can pull it off.

Chris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Gee Bee is the Z model the yellow and black one and it certainly is an unusual looking aircraft, I hope I can pull it off.

Given your recent history with yellow & black my confidence level is above average 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Given your recent history with yellow & black my confidence level is above average 😉

😄 Thanks Roger, fingers crossed 🤞 

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I might try your method on mine when I eventually get to the painting stage. I mostly use acrylics these days but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work just as well with them. We’ll see.

John. 🇺🇦

Not sure  the acrylics will behave as since I tried painting with Tamiya paints and it all went wrong.  Although TonyOT (really missed from this site) used acrylics and he always seemed to get  great results.

Give it a go John and see , will be interested to know how the acrylics behave. 

44 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Cracking paintwork as always.

I don't think this one will be much longer.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind .  Hopefully will get the last DG coat on later.  

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

Hi all 

Finsl coat of Dark Green now brushed on and post shaded with lighter shades, trying for a slight mottling but not too much . Also unmasked the yellow leading edge areas. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Prop and Spinner are done, you may notice that it's not yellow!!!

There was another thread and a photo of the airframe was studied by the author and another and they have stated the spinner was a darker shade than the yellow tips, so they have surmised red and I have also gone with this.

spacer.png

Quite happy with thus progress.

Thanks for looking in.

Chris

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Hiyo ni kazi nzuri ya rangi tu, Chris.

Can’t keep saying the same thing in English, it’s boring!

Thanks Mark, Swahili, eh.   Wema sana wewe, really pleased with how it looks.

Thanks 

Chris

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Excellent travail de peinture. Sorry, I can’t manage anything more exotic.

John. 🇺🇦

😄 Merci beaucoup John, Heureux de la façon dont il s'est avéré

55 minutes ago, Dunny said:

kazi nzuri Chris - utakuwa na hii kwenye begi baada ya muda mfupi!

Cheers,

Roger

😄 Asante Roger fadhili sana na wewe pia

Thanks guys, Google translate is wonderful.

Chris

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Prop and Spinner are done, you may notice that it's not yellow!!!

Looks great in red Chris, much nicer than yellow (green's looking cool too). Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looks great in red Chris, much nicer than yellow (green's looking cool too). Keep up the good work.

Thanks Charlie, I am pleased with it, overpainting the yellow was fun and took a couple of extra coats!!!

The green turned out well.  I have added a gloss coat , might get another on this morning so it's really protected, tidy up a few bits then some decals and paint the canopy glazing etc.

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

paint the canopy glazing etc.

Chris

I think that might push my Swahili over the edge - look forward to seeing it though 🤣

• Haha 3

Looking fabulous Chris. The spinner looks top drawer. Interesting that your post shading with a brush. I did this on my Tamiya RC and when painting “canvas” but I think it’s worked well here. I assume the paint was really quite thin. 

Brilliant stuff. Bravo. 👏👏👏

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking fabulous Chris. The spinner looks top drawer. Interesting that your post shading with a brush. I did this on my Tamiya RC and when painting “canvas” but I think it’s worked well here. I assume the paint was really quite thin. 

Brilliant stuff. Bravo. 👏👏👏

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, pleased I found the info re the Spinner before it was too late 😀 

Yes the paint I brush on it thinned but the post shading paint not so much as that is almost dry brushed on .

I have to do it that way as when brush painting i would lose any pre shading. 

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I would resort to my usual exotic Anglo Saxon but all I can say is.

Wot they said.

Absolutely braw.

Cheers,

Alistair

😄 Thanks Alistair.   Pleased with it so far.  Will see if I can get the gloss coats done tonight and some undercarriage bits too

Chrid

• Like 2