Mk. XIVe - Finished and now a bonus Spitfire XIVc also finished.

Hi all 

A bit of progress on the Spitfire 

Components painted and oil washed and dry brushed.

spacer.png

Additional hydraulic pipes added

spacer.png

And painted

spacer.png

Cockpit together, also added the Aileron actuator rod from the control stick, just got to psont and add the camera and a throttle quadrant and the cockpit is done.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 21

Lovely work Chris - I'll see if I can push mine forward to such a lovely standard this weekend!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Chris - I'll see if I can push mine forward to such a lovely standard this weekend!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, it goes together very well indeed, however I recommend scraping mating surfaces clean of paint again  also recommend watching the excellent videos linked very helpfully by Troy earlier in this thread as they show very clearly the pitfalls re the Fuselage and wing joints.

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

What Roger said, stellar work in the cockpit Chris.

Thanks Mark a very enjoyable model inbitself the cockpit.   Very pleased with it.  Got a 32nd scale Mk.IX to convert to a Mk.XIV  at some point too.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I recommend scraping mating surfaces

I always scrape my mating surfaces - sometimes when I don't need to! 🤣

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

I always scrape my mating surfaces - sometimes when I don't need to! 🤣

Very good Roger :rofl2: , dirty boy!!!😉

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Nice ‘pit, the harness looks particularly good. Whose did you use?

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks John , pleased with the cockpit,  the harness was from Eduard RAF WWII seatbelts set, I have got a fabric set for one of the 32nd scale Spitfires, not sure I would like to fo in this scale though🤪

2 hours ago, Russmeister 101 said:

OOOOOH... Spitfire!! :D  Followed

Great progress on the pit.  As @Biggles87 said, the belts look fantastic!!

Pass the popcorn and pour me a pint of your finest ale barman!! 🍿 

Thanks Rustmeister,  now your talking, a Fursty Ferret for me please barman!!!

Thanks guys just fettling the fuselage for hhe fuel tank cover, fit is good but is flush and needs to stand proud to represent the armoured cover.  Also doing more on the Swordfish too.

Chris

19 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That is one nice office.

Cracking job Chris.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  I have installed it in the fuselage, which is setting at the moment. 

Really pleased with it so far, got another Mk.XIV today too, don't tell SWMBO!!!😉

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Trust me. My lips are sealed.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks fella, I was lucky as she was at work and I visited the Battle of Britain collection at Hawkinge today, had a very interesting time and purchased the racing version of the Mk.XIV but more options in the Xtradecal sheet for me to do.  It is now stashed in the I've had it for ages pile😉

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks fella, I was lucky as she was at work and I visited the Battle of Britain collection at Hawkinge today, had a very interesting time and purchased the racing version of the Mk.XIV but more options in the Xtradecal sheet for me to do.  It is now stashed in the I've had it for ages pile😉

Chris

Mate - you'll be in trouble if she springs an audit on you...🤣

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Mate - you'll be in trouble if she springs an audit on you...🤣

I know, could be tricky, but I am relying on the fact that they are rarely carried out so memory won't be that good of previous audit and I think I can get away with it.  I have the emergency book of raffle tickets on standby,  just incase :whistle:

Chris

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Dunny said:

you'll be in trouble if she springs an audit

I should think a simple pencil mark “got to here” on the nearest door jamb will have you in the doghouse!

But… coming back to the point, your first (legal!) one is looking super.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I should think a simple pencil mark on the nearest door jamb will have you in the doghouse!

I am always in trouble in one way or another 😕,  but if it keeps her out of the mancave, can be a strategic victory for me!!! 😉

Chris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

Great work on the cockpit, some nice touches to think about 👍  Looking forward to seeing your next steps.

Thanks WP, very kind, fuselage and cockpit now together, just working on the fuel tank armour at the moment.

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve got so many Spitfires that SWMBO wouldn’t notice one more ( I hope ), but I am looking for another Mk XIV to convert to a high back -C using a spare Mk VIII fuselage.

More soon I trust?

John

Yes same here John, it worked too, I put it in plain sight in the I have had it ages pile and an impromptu visit/inspection  yielded no glares , wahoo!!!

The high back sounds good, got an Academy C and Daco correction I built years ago, but am going to refresh with the C decals in the Xtra decal sheet too, also got an XVIII coming from flying hours so will use the decals in the same set for that too, it will be the first time I will have used most of the decals in an Xtradecal set!!!

Chris

• Like 4

Hi all

Some further progress, fuel tank cover thinned out either side above the tans and the tabs thinned out asper the Paul Budzik videos Troy kindly linked and Tail Dragon also showed. Fuselage joins were quite good but needed sprue goo filler.

spacer.png

This hives the overhang required, lower wing fitted

spacer.png

I think this could be my fault as i glued the fuselage sides to the cockpit and i should have left those loose until the lower wing was on although the lower wing fillet to fuselage joins are perfect so not sure if me or the kit, but there is a gap between the upper wing halves and the fuselage,  oh well a bit of plastic and and sprue goo will sort.

I clamped the wing in the undercarriage bay areas, cannons and front external corners.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 15

Seems like this one is putting up more of a struggle than the Stringbag.  I’ve not watched the Paul B. Video, and don’t know much about this kit, so all this seems a heck of a lot of required effort to get a result.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that of course, I chopped the front of my kit clean off! 😂

Edit to add; I’m sure you’re eking out a stunning result nonetheless.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Seems like this one is putting up more of a struggle than the Stringbag.  I’ve not watched the Paul B. Video, and don’t know much about this kit, so all this seems a heck of a lot of required effort to get a result.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that of course, I chopped the front of my kit clean off! 😂

Edit to add; I’m sure you’re eking out a stunning result nonetheless.

Thanks Mark, I am not sure if it was me or the kit, most likely me!!!

I have to say I am a big fan of Airfix products and a large chunk of my stash is Airfix.  

I will get some filler on those fillets later and let that set overnight.  

Chris

• Like 3