Mk. XIVe - Finished and now a bonus Spitfire XIVc also finished.

Hi all

Not done a new thread for ages as been concentrating on the FAA thread for last 2 yrs or so.  When @mark.au started building his Mk.XIV .  It got me hankering to build another Spitfire and so as ee sre foing with our Swordfish models to replicate doffrrnt Swordfish used in the Taranto raid in a sort of unofficial GB, i asked if i voukd join with a Spitfire too.  Now i don't have a great travk record for completing GB models as still doing my 32nd Sea Venom and that GB finished in June!!! But fired up with enthusiasm i have tried to crack on with the Swordfish and this one and hopefully will finish both in good time.

spacer.png

This build is the Airfix 48th scale kit and haveto say it looks absolutely lurvley. 

I will be adding a replacement Propeller or might file the blades to a better shape, not sure yet, I will add some Eduard Seat belts too. Otherwise this will be as Airfix intended.

I am doing the RCAF option in the kit, serial NH902, VC-P, flown by Sqn Leader James Bernard Prenergast , No 414 Sqn RCAFin Luneberg Germany May-June 1945.

spacer.png

I do have the Xtradecal sheet , but will use on another high back that I will partially re do and a Mk.XVIII when it arrives.

The kit, so far has gone together very well and fit has been perfect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pleased so far 

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 19

Chris,

This is hilarious - I'm planning to launch my WIP of the same kit today! 

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Cheers,

Roger 

That's excellent Roger,  two unofficial GBs running , this is great stuff.

Looking forward to seeing yours progress,  it's all very nice so far.

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi all

Not done a new thread for ages as been concentrating on the FAA thread for last 2 yrs or so.  When @mark.au started building his Mk.XIV .  It got me hankering to build another Spitfire and so as ee sre foing with our Swordfish models to replicate doffrrnt Swordfish used in the Taranto raid in a sort of unofficial GB, i asked if i voukd join with a Spitfire too.  Now i don't have a great travk record for completing GB models as still doing my 32nd Sea Venom and that GB finished in June!!! But fired up with enthusiasm i have tried to crack on with the Swordfish and this one and hopefully will finish both in good time.

spacer.png

This build is the Airfix 48th scale kit and haveto say it looks absolutely lurvley. 

I will be adding a replacement Propeller or might file the blades to a better shape, not sure yet, I will add some Eduard Seat belts too. Otherwise this will be as Airfix intended.

I am doing the RCAF option in the kit, serial NH902, VC-P, flown by Sqn Leader James Bernard Prenergast , No 414 Sqn RCAFin Luneberg Germany May-June 1945.

spacer.png

I do have the Xtradecal sheet , but will use on another high back that I will partially re do and a Mk.XVIII when it arrives.

The kit, so far has gone together very well and fit has been perfect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pleased so far 

Thanks for looking in

Chris

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Cheers,

Roger 

I approve of these two messages  :)

Looking very nice so far, Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, blueYeti said:

Nice cockpit, I wait for more....

Still few Merlin Spitfires wait in my cabinet.

Time to collect ref for griffons, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Blue Yeti, it's going together well and is a lovely kit so far. You can never have too many Spitfires.  Got a few inbthe stash too!!!

Thanks

Chris

Looking forward to seeing this, (hope the fuel tank cover suggestion works out for you).

Not sure if you need this, but I have some photos of the recon camera ...

Image2

Image3

different lens fit , but I believe the same body...

Image6

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, opus999 said:

Not my usual scale, but I think this is a terrific looking aircraft, so I'll follow along if I may.  Cockpit looks great!

Thanks Opus999 , pleased with how it is turning out , the Mk.XIV is a cracking and brutish looking machine. Good to have you along too.

45 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Following as I have this kit in the stash.

Gondor

Good to have you along too Gondor.

Thanks guys

Chris

2 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Looking forward to seeing this, (hope the fuel tank cover suggestion works out for you).

Not sure if you need this, but I have some photos of the recon camera ...

Image2

Image3

different lens fit , but I believe the same body...

Image6

Thanks TD, they are some lovely images , I have a couple for my CA Hudson build from the Tamiya Mossie, so will be helpful for that too.  Ca  I ask is that colour a standard as Airfix call out black for the camera?

Thank you 

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks TD, they are some lovely images , I have a couple for my CA Hudson build from the Tamiya Mossie, so will be helpful for that too.  Ca  I ask is that colour a standard as Airfix call out black for the camera?

Thank you 

Chris

Without any conflicting info, I went with the colors of the real camera photos.  Light grey camera and film cannister, with an aluminum data plate, and a black inner barrel for the camera.

camera

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Without any conflicting info, I went with the colors of the real camera photos.  Light grey camera and film cannister, with an aluminum dat plate, and a black inner barrel for the camera.

camera

Brilliant thanks again for the info that is very helpful and looks great. 

Chris

• Like 2

svKD1vH.jpg

Note, by the time these were being built, there  had been a switch too all the interior being grey-green,  including AFAIK, the inner leg part of the wheel well, the outer wheel part being the underside of the wing colour.

You likely have seen this, but the suggestions here 

https://paulbudzik.com/models/Airfix Spitfire FR Mk XIV/airfix-spitfire-fr-mk-xiv-review.html

this section

"Airfix Spitfire FR Mk XIV: A Few Fixes

The basic review of the Airfix 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk. XIV was done to show the kit as it would go together right from the box, with a minimum of cleanup or special adjustment. The review pretty much just followed the instructions.  But in this short video, I want to suggest solutions for a couple of, what I consider to be, the two significant shortcomings of the kit: the cover over the forward fuel tank and the gaps at the wing root joint."

Has some useful tips and tweaks on the construction as indicated in the quote.  Even if old news, maybe of use to others reading this.

HTH

T

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

svKD1vH.jpg

Note, by the time these were being built, there  had been a switch too all the interior being grey-green,  including AFAIK, the inner leg part of the wheel well, the outer wheel part being the underside of the wing colour.

You likely have seen this, but the suggestions here 

https://paulbudzik.com/models/Airfix Spitfire FR Mk XIV/airfix-spitfire-fr-mk-xiv-review.html

this section

"Airfix Spitfire FR Mk XIV: A Few Fixes

The basic review of the Airfix 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk. XIV was done to show the kit as it would go together right from the box, with a minimum of cleanup or special adjustment. The review pretty much just followed the instructions.  But in this short video, I want to suggest solutions for a couple of, what I consider to be, the two significant shortcomings of the kit: the cover over the forward fuel tank and the gaps at the wing root joint."

Has some useful tips and tweaks on the construction as indicated in the quote.  Even if old news, maybe of use to others reading this.

HTH

T

Thanks Troy, very useful info re the interior grey/green and thanks for the link too, will have a good look through.

Thank you

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Troy, very useful info re the interior grey/green and thanks for the link too, will have a good look through.

Thank you

Chris

This is all good stuff - great info on the interior grey green and the camera!

• Like 1

You're fairly belting on with this one Chris,

All looking good so far.

On 14/08/2022 at 00:23, bigbadbadge said:

just need Alistair to get one now:wicked::whistle:

Nice try, not even tempted (well that's not true)

I've got enough on my plate at the moment :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have the ICM kit in the stash ( I think it’s an XIV, definitely bubble top, clipped wings and a Griffon engine) , partially started, so it’ll be interesting to follow along and see how the kits compare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’m gonna follow too, Chris if that’s ok.  You, Roger and Mark and some added wisdom from Troy et al.  What’s not to like.

Thanks Steve, welcome aboard,  should be good three different Airframes of the same type.  @Troy Smith has been most helpful and the links he posted have proved very useful too.  

26 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

You're fairly belting on with this one Chris,

All looking good so far.

Nice try, not even tempted (well that's not true)

I've got enough on my plate at the moment :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  got a fair bit done and quite quickly for me too, it is a great kit and would recommend it fella :whistle: 

I am really looking forward to your Swordfish .

22 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I have the ICM kit in the stash ( I think it’s an XIV, definitely bubble top, clipped wings and a Griffon engine) , partially started, so it’ll be interesting to follow along and see how the kits compare. 

Thanks Mark , welcome fella.   Ahh you have the ICM Mk. XVI nice.  I was looking at one of those a few years ago, but converted a Tamiya Mk.Vb with a low spine conversion and xtra radiator etc .  That is a Packard Merlin engined Beastie and will be interested to see how the ICM kit builds up   I might even be tempted to get another one myself. Look forward to seeing that build up, will you be exposing the engine?

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Look forward to seeing that build up, will you be exposing the engine?

Probably not. Actually now that I think honk of it I was between a Belgian airforce camo scheme and an all red racer which would fit the bill for the prototypes and special schemes GB although it’s not as if I’m having difficulty coming up with builds for that GB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

Probably not. Actually now that I think honk of it I was between a Belgian airforce camo scheme and an all red racer which would fit the bill for the prototypes and special schemes GB although it’s not as if I’m having difficulty coming up with builds for that GB.

Oooooo sounds interesting,  I know of the silver and red machine, looking forward to seeing a red racer Mark.  You do realise I am going to get into trouble with the Domestic Authorities now as I will have to get one!!!😄😉

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice subject Chris, i'll be following this one for sure.

Terry.

Thanks Terry, I do love a Spitfire although won't be going to the lengths I did correcting the Hobbyboss 32nd Vb🤪

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too, I think there seems to be an epidemic here.

John. 

Thanks John, Spitfireitis is a well known medical condition,  I have it bad😉😄

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 1