There was a demon that lived in the air.... 1/48 X-1 and B-29 Mothership 75th Anniversary FINISHED! And a "small" Post Script

8 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Most outstanding work! :clap2::worthy:

😱

Thanks dnl42, I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for following along and with the Costco ideas. I'll keep those in mind for the future.

A result that meets with our Galactic admiration; not only for the impressive result of your labours but also for the speed with which you have completed the project. It would most likely have taken me around two years to do. A very educational build as well. Well played all round that Earthling! :clap2:

Approving of Mars 👽

10 hours ago, billn53 said:

Superb! And, big!
Did I mention, Superb! ?

Thanks Bill!:D

6 hours ago, Martian said:

A result that meets with our Galactic admiration; not only for the impressive result of your labours but also for the speed with which you have completed the project. It would most likely have taken me around two years to do. A very educational build as well. Well played all round that Earthling! :clap2:

Approving of Mars 👽

Thank you O Great And Imperious High Grand Poobah Of The Intergalactic Highlands on the low plains of Mars and Barber Shop Quartet Plus Two. Tis not without it's short comings, but this Earthling is pleased with it's eventual final outcome. Came out far better than my last two excursions with this B-29 in the dim and distant past. There may be hope for my modelling skills yet.:worthy:

• Haha 1

Congratulations , not just for the xtreme work on these models but mainly for your very kind sense of History loyalty when you said:

..."Today 75 years ago she and Chuck Yeager zipped across the Heavens into the history books with the shattering of the sound barrier."

Fantastic work from a fantastic person.

SouthViper from Brazil 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SouthViper said:

Congratulations , not just for the xtreme work on these models but mainly for your very kind sense of History loyalty when you said:

..."Today 75 years ago she and Chuck Yeager zipped across the Heavens into the history books with the shattering of the sound barrier."

Fantastic work from a fantastic person.

SouthViper from Brazil 

Thanks South Viper I just tried to pay tribute to the event as best I could.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:45 PM, dnl42 said:

Most outstanding work! :clap2::worthy:

😱

And here's a final Post Script for this build, a "small" Family Portrait. I wish I could have added my B-17 and B-24 but they're in for restoration. Oh well maybe next time.

52432709820_9b8ce84cfd_c.jpg

52432709845_62fb426f61_c.jpg

52432260651_96fa2484ae_c.jpg

52432709750_16f8528d94_c.jpg

52432776058_077e5f8edf_c.jpg

52432776048_b99cde6d66_c.jpg

I tried an experiment with 20"x 30"( 50.8cm x76.2cm) foam board. I wanted to see if it would work as an acceptable base for large builds. A single panel works perfectly, but unfortunately they warped and didn't mate up as well as I would have liked. C'est la Vie.

I was trying to recreate a photo I had seen of both a B-29 and a B-36 together on the tarmac. Now this build is done! Waiter! Another round for the House!:drink:And another 2 for the Road.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• LorenSharp changed the title to There was a demon that lived in the air.... 1/48 X-1 and B-29 Mothership 75th Anniversary FINISHED! And a "small" Post Script

Yeah, that B-36 may be a wee bit bigger. Even hanging on the ceiling, you clearly do not have a tiny house...

Is that the HpH B-36?

33 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

I was trying to recreate a photo I had seen of both a B-29 and a B-36 together on the tarmac.

Are you thinking of the LIFE photo with a B-36, B-29, B-17, and C-47?

Ah, I found your image. Well done! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Yeah, that B-36 may be a wee bit bigger. Even hanging on the ceiling, you clearly do not have a tiny house...

Is that the HpH B-36?

Are you thinking of the LIFE photo with a B-36, B-29, B-17, and C-47?

Ah, I found your image. Well done! :thumbsup:

Yep that's HPH's B-36. A yearlong build that was an aggravation from Hell at times.

That was one of them The one I remembered had a B-29 and the proto type B-36 with the original nose glass and the "BIG" wheels.

No, actually I 'm in a very tiny house Display/work room is all of 8x 13. and most of it is taken up with either models or tools.

I'll invent a room stretcher one of these Millenia.

25 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That acre of metal looks incredibly vivid in the sunlight. What a body of work! :clap2:

It definitely brings new meaning to the phrase "Heavy Metal":coolio:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

52432260651_96fa2484ae_c.jpg

I know the photograph you're trying to replicate here, and honestly, if you had extended the tarmac base out of the frame, I would easily have believed it was another real-life shot from the same day. Superb modelling, and proof once again that nothing looks more like natural metal than natural metal!! 

I really enjoyed following this build. Thanks for posting!

Will

Thanks Will. I'm glad you liked it. I wish I could have gotten my multi "home made" tarmac to look better., but I doubt I will need it for anything else this big unless I do a fully populated scene. Sunlight does bring the best out of a natural metal finish.