Enamel weathering products lifespan?

MattH912

Hi all,

Im looking at investing in some A. Mig and AK enamel weathering products to improve my weathering to both aircraft and AFV builds, but I have heard mixed opinions about their lifespan, that they can go off after being opened. Im just curious if anyone here has some knowledge they can possibly share with me about the rough time it takes for these products to "go off" and by that I have heard they can form a sort of sludge in the bottle. For reference I was looking at getting both washes and heavier "mud" type enamel products.

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak for the current versions but I bought some enamel Mig washes about ten years ago and they were unusable after about five or six years. The pigments had dropped into a layer that was so compact nothing would budge it. In contrast my Vallajo Model Air paints from 15 years ago are as good as new.

I should add that this hasn't stopped me buying such products - I just have a realistic expectation of their shelf life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete F said:

I can't speak for the current versions but I bought some enamel Mig washes about ten years ago and they were unusable after about five or six years. The pigments had dropped into a layer that was so compact nothing would budge it. In contrast my Vallajo Model Air paints from 15 years ago are as good as new.

I should add that this hasn't stopped me buying such products - I just have a realistic expectation of their shelf life.

Thank you very much

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2022 at 9:10 PM, Pete F said:

I have had exactly the same experience with Mig Ammo nature effects bottles: after a few years the product is unusable. I do not think these products are very good anyway. They look like flat enamel paints thinned with low quality thinner (judging by the smell which is quite similar to mineral spirit sold in DIY stores).

best,

Christian.

• Like 1