Pyro's Santa María

ltNlhE2.jpg

Santa Maria’s launch is a single part with some nice clinker planking on the outside of the hull but without any detailing at all on the inside. This is fine as Pyro designed it to be stowed inverted on the ship’s main deck.

Yzdmlzd.jpg

It is uncertain how the boat was actually stowed, and it was often towed behind the ship, so just for fun I added thwarts from .015 X .040 inch plastic strip so the boat could be shown either inverted or right side up.

AP1Anmp.jpg

The boat received the same oil stain over acrylic paint treatment as the ship.

• Like 8

I’ve made a start on Santa Maria’s flags.

Wl5tg15.jpg

The Royal Standard carried by all of Columbus’ ships (repeated on the pennant) was the Bandera de Castilla y León (banner of Castile and León) quartered white and red with the coats of arms of Castile and León in yellow and red. This was the flag Queen Ysabel (Isabella).

Vyx4NqD.jpg

FHqhmMq.jpg

Thus far the red sections have been added over the white. So much for the easy part – now for those castles and lions...

• Like 8

The biggest challenge of these flags was painting the tiny lions.

VFrLwnI.jpg

I’m no artist, so I just jumped in with my finest brush and did the best I could with them.

TqW2BgF.jpg

The pennant also received its lions – which were even smaller than the ones on the banner! When I did these very flags before on my Pyro Pinta build several years back, my then eleven year old daughter had graciously complimented me on my “cool flying monkeys.” Sadly, my skills don’t seem to have progressed much since then...

muSCgdP.jpg

With the eight castles added in yellow, I’m calling these done. They are far from perfect, but my hope is that the less than elegant renderings will still harmonize with the heavy style of detailing on the rest of the kit.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Gidday Tim, your "cool flying monkeys" are definitely looking leonine, I think they and the castles look very good. For someone who claims to be no artist they are very artistic. Well done.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen for your kind support!

After the triumph of the flying monkeys I moved on to the flag atop the mizzen mast, the Royal Standard of the Catholic Kings. This one represented the united kingdoms of Ysabel and Fernando (Ferdinand) and was even more complicated than the banner and pennant.

fO1DAOf.jpg

Yikes! 😲

SFKaF23.jpg

Fortunately, since it is so small I figured I could get away with a vague, impressionistic representation of the standard. Thank goodness there is only one of these!

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

The last of the flags was the unique Columbus Expedition Standard.

Q4wAre4.jpg

Presented to Columbus by the Queen for the voyage, the Standard flown by the fleet consisted of the sacred cross flanked by the letters “F” for Fernando de Aragón (Ferdinand of Aragon) and “Y” for Ysabel de Castilla (Isabella of Castile) with each of the initials topped with a crown.

P9VOlIh.jpg

Pyro had depicted the flag as a large swallowtail, but Xavier Pastor’s authoritative Anatomy of the Ship: The Ships of Christopher Columbus shows the standard as rectangular.

jHoXolh.jpg

I duly trimmed the kit part down to a rectangle and painted it up following Pastor’s interpretation... and didn’t like it at all! Although perhaps more correct than the original kit rendering, that humble rectangular flag was definitely less appealing than Pyro’s dramatic swallowtail. Fortunately, I had that second kit on hand, so I raided its foremast/flag and started again.

UAyOPsg.jpg

Also, this time instead of painting the flag I used the new decals which came with the recent Lindberg reissue of the kit.

d6EnrSc.jpg

The excellent Cartograf decals went on beautifully, and reproduced the fancy lettering quickly and without fuss. I just love it when reissued kits are actually better than the originals!

• Like 7

FulW8TW.jpg

The kit sails looked pretty good overall, but there were some minor knock out pin marks on the concave sides and holes for tying on the rigging.

BtBeCT9.jpg

Sanding away the pin marks was no problem, and I filled the holes with super glue. Interestingly, the portion of the sail I sanded shows how the surfaces of the 50 year old plastic kit parts have yellowed over time!

djkQ3mj.jpg

After addressing these issues and and smoothing mold lines, I airbrushed the sails with Tamiya XF-25 Flat White tinted with XF-57 Buff and then shot the seams with a slightly lightened mix of the buff color. The sample cards on the left of the pic show the stark contrast between the two shades...

WNZBnTu.jpg

...but on the sails themselves these variations are more subtle.

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 8

ufhwr6m.jpg

The sail bowlines and Sacred Cross on the main and fore sails received pin washes with thinned brown enamel...

93nC5ga.jpg

...which was then mostly wiped away with a thinner-dampened rag.

Q5ukxmg.jpg

NYGQVMj.jpg

The crosses were then blocked in with red and yellow acrylics.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Tim Reynaga said:

ufhwr6m.jpg

The sail bowlines and Sacred Cross on the main and fore sails received pin washes with thinned brown enamel...

93nC5ga.jpg

...which was then mostly wiped away with a thinner-dampened rag.

Q5ukxmg.jpg

NYGQVMj.jpg

The crosses were then blocked in with red and yellow acrylics.

That's tidy brushwork!

7 hours ago, Tim Reynaga said:

but I couldn’t resist a quick test-fit!

Gidday Tim, I think many of us do, and she looks great.

Err, I couldn't help but notice your check-off list under the model, all female names. The mind boggles at the possibilities. No doubt all is above board and wholesome but you might want to be a bit more discrete! 😁       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Tim, I think many of us do, and she looks great.

Err, I couldn't help but notice your check-off list under the model, all female names. The mind boggles at the possibilities. No doubt all is above board and wholesome but you might want to be a bit more discrete! 😁       Regards, Jeff.

LOL! Well Jeff, perhaps I should delete the picture, or just let the list remain a mystery... but I don't want to leave the impression that I am some kind of creep!

wWvlzUV.jpg

I work from home, and the names are just a list of my staff for an IT asset inventory jotted down on a napkin during a phone call!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

That looks quite good! :worthy:

The finish is just excellent! Personally, I'd never try a plastic model of a wooden ship as I'd make a complete caricature of the subject,

I was wondering if you were going to try to finish by today.