1/48 GMC 2.5 ton truck with recovery set no.7 + Willys Jeep

Hi,

This is my recently completed Tamiya 1/48 GMC 2.5 ton 6x6 truck with the addition of the recovery no.7 resin conversion set. I have also added the Tamiya 1/48 Willys Jeep kit. Further information about the build can be found in the WIP thread. It's been a lot of work but pleased to finally have finished!

Kits: Tamiya 32548, 32552

Resin conversion: MP originals masters models 48011

Photoetch: Aber and Hauler

Stowage: Tamiya, Aerobonus, MP original masters models

Paints: Ammo mig and Lifecolor acrylics

Weathering: W&N and abteilung oils, Wilder mud products

Figures: Tamiya

Base: Materials from garden and some Woodland Scenics products

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Stuart

The idea for the jerry can rack came from this historical reference photo:

IMG_4686

IMG_4693 (2)

IMG_4825 (4)

IMG_4697

IMG_4816 (3)

IMG_4758

IMG_4806 (2)

IMG_4841 (2)

IMG_4845 (3)

IMG_4909

IMG_4903 (2)

IMG_4945

IMG_4837

IMG_5051 (2)

IMG_4869 (4)

IMG_4980 (5)

IMG_4869 (3)

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, sandsmodels said:

nice job

11 hours ago, Richard E said:

Excellent work and a diorama that definitely tells a story.

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Great models in a superb diorama, with a neat storyline. Very top work Stuart.👍

Many thanks guys for your very kind comments. It is very much appreciated 👍

11 hours ago, Yg Models said:

master piece 😍

i have a 1/72 GMC 2.5 ton truck😁

Many thanks Yg. Hope you have fun with your 1/72 GMC 2.5 ton! It really is one of my favourite WW2 vehicles. Look forward to seeing it!

• Like 1

Very nice Stuart. Interesting how you have continued the ground work on the sides of the base. Don't think i have seen that before, but it looks good.

George

• Thanks 1

Absolutely outstanding Stuart, don't often get around to looking at the smaller scale models but so glad I did!

Brilliant models,  obviously, but the base/groundwork is amazing really atmospheric amongst the trees.

Did you do a wip including the base and trees?

Great photos too btw.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

Very nicely put together diorama. 

Regards

Pete

Many thanks Pete for your kind comments and glad you like the diorama. Much appreciated 👍

20 hours ago, providence said:

What a wonderfull diorama ! The black and white pictures can easily be confused with some photographic archives. Congratulations.

Regards

Providence

Thank you providence! Very much appreciated. Glad you like the B & W photos though my figure painting is maybe a bit of a giveaway to not being real historical images 🤣  I did take one photo without figures which might have a better chance of passing the test! Thanks again :)

IMG_5079 (4)

6 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Very nice Stuart. Interesting how you have continued the ground work on the sides of the base. Don't think i have seen that before, but it looks good.

George

Many thanks George. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I used an old wooden picture frame as the basic shape for the base. I guess there's no right or wrong of having the sides painted or left as natural wood but for this one I felt it gave a more natural look to extend the earth texture onto the sides. I applied PVA glue and sprinkled on the dirt mix in layers. Seems to hold okay though don't handle it too much. Thanks again 👍

• Like 1

A fantastic scene in 48th scale, looks very good indeed, I also like the way the groundwork is on the sides of the base as well, plus the tree's look awesome, moss/ivy growing up the trunks ;)

Matt

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Absolutely outstanding Stuart, don't often get around to looking at the smaller scale models but so glad I did!

Brilliant models,  obviously, but the base/groundwork is amazing really atmospheric amongst the trees.

Did you do a wip including the base and trees?

Great photos too btw.

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks so much for your kind words Darryl. It's much appreciated and pleased you like it.

I didn't do a WIP for the base but will try and do one on a future build. It's quite basic really and I just use Nightshift's youtube videos for some reference. 

1) Take old wooden picture frame and remove glass.

2) Build up basic terrain with Amaco Sculptamold Modelling compound (can get on Amazon)

3) Brush with dilute PVA and sprinkle on mix of natural dirt/earth/sand as you see fit. Build layers as required using dilute PVA or spray        adhesive

4) Paint with Tamiya acrylic paints whatever shades you like

5) Use enamel washes or oils to create variations in shade.

6) I sprinkled this one with Woodland scenics Fine turf Burnt grass for the moss and ground up bits from the garden.

See videos below also. Many thanks again :)

9 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

That is soooo good!

Love it, well done.

Cheers

Gaz

Many thanks indeed Gaz 👍. Very much appreciated and glad you like it.

8 hours ago, Model Mate said:

I keep having to pinch myself when I realise this is 1/48 - stunning work.

I love the moody forest setting, and your photography has captured the feel as well as the diorama itself. How did you do the trees out of interest?

Many thanks Model Mate for your comments and glad you like it 👍. Greatly appreciated.

For the trees I just used this Youtube video tutorial and pretty much followed it exactly. You can play around with different static grass lengths to give the look and density you want. The florist's wire I got from ebay. In hindsight a couple of my trees could do with some extra branches but I didn't want to obscure the view of the models too much so it was a bit of a compromise. Also if moody forest settings are your thing then definitely watch this Nightshift video below! Thanks again :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, Toryu said:

Excellent! A perfectly modelled and very realistic dio.

Many thanks for the comments Toryu. Very much appreciated 👍

On 8/14/2022 at 4:52 PM, Cerberus said:

A fantastic scene in 48th scale, looks very good indeed, I also like the way the groundwork is on the sides of the base as well, plus the tree's look awesome, moss/ivy growing up the trunks ;)

Matt

Greatly appreciated Matt and glad you like the scene 👍

I didn't give much conscious thought to the groundwork on the sides...just felt right for this particular setting. See video above regarding the trees and pleased they didn't seem to obscure the models too much!

Thanks again :)

On 8/16/2022 at 2:06 PM, Muchmirth said:

Very very nice indeed! I really like all of this. I tried to follow the Luke Towan tutorial before and must say yours look a lot better than mine!! Top job.

Many thanks Muchmirth for the feedback. It is very much appreciated and glad you like it.

This was my first attempt at doing trees. Turns out to be a bit of an art form! So many things to get right...shape, size, texture, colour, density etc...it's quite deceptive! Definitely one of those things of keep practicing!

Many thanks again :) 

Excellent work Stuart. Not only have you done a brilliant job on the two vehicles, but you've made a base that really sets them off and gives a very "deep in the forest" atmosphere. Nice work.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, IanC said:

Such an atmospheric little scene. Great models, nice composition and I really love the trees and ground work. 

Many thanks Ian for your comments and glad you like the scene! Very much appreciated 👍

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Excellent work Stuart. Not only have you done a brilliant job on the two vehicles, but you've made a base that really sets them off and gives a very "deep in the forest" atmosphere. Nice work.

John.

Thanks very much John for the kind comments it's greatly appreciated. Pleased you like the base as it was a bit of a balance of getting the forest atmosphere without blocking the view of the models too much! Definitely a setting I will try and do again.

Many thanks again :)

• Like 1

Hi Stuart,

Terrific vignette!, despite not having a heavy in the scene, it is a great job, which tells a story, and there are many details to observe in the vehicles... Trees are great, I have the intention of doing something similar to that one day, but between the lack of adequate materials and starting a model, I am delaying it.... sigh... Good job

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1