Airfix B17G - £5 with Breakfast 490th BG

Hello Neil,

The work you have done is remarkable, bravo👍
And thank you for the inspirational sharing.
I have had one in dust endurance for a year. But recovery is coming, and I am going to get back into it!

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• 1 year later...

I have been following your B-24 build, and I saw where you said that it would look nice beside your Fort, so I had to come take a look.

Fantastic job Neil! I’m always impressed when I see the dirty oil streaks going between the wing vents and not out of them. It means you pay careful attention when you are researching. I’m guilty of having the streaks coming out of the wing vents in the past myself. Hollywood got their weathering wrong in the Memphis Belle movie, so I didn’t feel so bad. It wasn't until I started reading the erection and maintenance and pilots manuals that I discovered what the vents were for and then started paying closer attention to photos. Neil Burkill nailed the weathering, years ago on a Monogram B-17 and I see that you are in the same league with your weathering. Very impressive build on this great kit. I look forward to following your future builds.

Once again, excellent work Neil.

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I'm glad this post got a resurrection.  Just a lovely B-17 that is so well finished with the NMF and weathered so precisely and accurately.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2024 at 20:00, MrB17 said:

I’m always impressed when I see the dirty oil streaks going between the wing vents and not out of them. It means you pay careful attention when you are researching.

Absolutely agree.. it's one thing that makes a B-17 that's brilliant in to one that's exceptional. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:00 PM, MrB17 said:

I have been following your B-24 build, and I saw where you said that it would look nice beside your Fort, so I had to come take a look.

Fantastic job Neil! I’m always impressed when I see the dirty oil streaks going between the wing vents and not out of them. It means you pay careful attention when you are researching. I’m guilty of having the streaks coming out of the wing vents in the past myself. Hollywood got their weathering wrong in the Memphis Belle movie, so I didn’t feel so bad. It wasn't until I started reading the erection and maintenance and pilots manuals that I discovered what the vents were for and then started paying closer attention to photos. Neil Burkill nailed the weathering, years ago on a Monogram B-17 and I see that you are in the same league with your weathering. Very impressive build on this great kit. I look forward to following your future builds.

Once again, excellent work Neil.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for the post resurrection. I try to study what I see, although there's some artistic licence now and again after all, this has to be a bit of fun! I referred to Neil burkhill's B17 when I did the HK 1/48 one a couple of years ago, he has a talent there looking across his various builds.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:13 PM, HL-10 said:

That is pretty awesome!

Great NMF!

On 1/30/2024 at 8:17 PM, Mynimal said:

A masterpiece. Very well done.👍

On 1/31/2024 at 2:58 AM, gaputz said:

Gorgeous! Superb workmanship. 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:55 AM, Remus389 said:

A shining example of a model, you might need sunglasses.😎👍

I was tempted to dirty this up more, but the photo's shown it quite clean!

On 1/31/2024 at 7:15 PM, georgeusa said:

I'm glad this post got a resurrection.  Just a lovely B-17 that is so well finished with the NMF and weathered so precisely and accurately.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks George :)

On 2/4/2024 at 11:20 AM, Whitewolf said:

Beautiful model! Is this the very latest Airfix B17G release?

Thanks, yes. I enjoyed it so intend to do a few more although a green one perhaps next!

On 2/4/2024 at 6:46 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Exquisite! Woody!!

Thanks mate :)

On 2/4/2024 at 8:04 PM, Ralph said:

Well  I do actually live in Eye, and regularly run on the old runway and taxi ways. Great to sed such a well executed model of an Eye based airframe!

I'm rather jealous! Being in the northwest, we have limited aviation history in the local area.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:23 PM, Spitfire madman said:

Stunning finish job well done 👏 

• Like 1