Hi from Houston, TX, USA

flying_hamster

Good day all,

Pretty much a newbie here. Done a few aircraft 1:72 models with my dad back when I was a kid, but no more modelling since. Had been playing miniature board games for a couple decades, so a bit of experience fixing and painting those models (and a rack of various paints, mostly fantasy colors from Citadel and Vallejo). 

In between jobs for a month, so got some free time and my mate sent me a nice present to fill the time - 1:48 Tamiya F-14A, along with a copy of some modeling book/mag. I haven't done anything at this scale yet, with so many parts, so it will definitely be interesting and time-consuming. But the model looks gorgeous and looking at people's pictures of complete projects, the result can be fantastic... Who knows, maybe this is the start of a new passion... Unfortunately it will be a solo exercise for me, as my wife and daughters have no interest in this project :( 

Anyways, looking forward to learning a lot from this community (and some other modeling communities as well, tbh). Many thanks for warm welcome in advance!

Welcome aboard. We have a couple of other members in Texas, so you're not alone out there.

The Tomcat might take you slightly more than a month, it's a fair size. Take your time and check references.

If you have any questions then don't be afraid to ask. Things, materials wise, have changed a bit since your 1/72nd days.

Usual glue nowadays, for instance, will probably be Tamiya extra thin, which has it's own application methods.

It's quite normal for the rest of the family to not have any interest. Just be sure to claim your own modelling area in the house!

Cheers, Pete

14 hours ago, flying_hamster said:

Good day all,

Pretty much a newbie here. Done a few aircraft 1:72 models with my dad back when I was a kid, but no more modelling since. Had been playing miniature board games for a couple decades, so a bit of experience fixing and painting those models (and a rack of various paints, mostly fantasy colors from Citadel and Vallejo). 

In between jobs for a month, so got some free time and my mate sent me a nice present to fill the time - 1:48 Tamiya F-14A, along with a copy of some modeling book/mag. I haven't done anything at this scale yet, with so many parts, so it will definitely be interesting and time-consuming. But the model looks gorgeous and looking at people's pictures of complete projects, the result can be fantastic... Who knows, maybe this is the start of a new passion... Unfortunately it will be a solo exercise for me, as my wife and daughters have no interest in this project :( 

Anyways, looking forward to learning a lot from this community (and some other modeling communities as well, tbh). Many thanks for warm welcome in advance!

Welcome from the not so far west, and as @Pete in Lincs has mentioned your not alone. I've been here for a few years and have enjoyed every moment. Ask and you should receive all kinds of input to your question. Would like to see your progress on the F-14A. I have the D in the line somewhere.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Hello Hamster … :post1:  from the city of Chicago. Im mostly a military aircraft builder myself and the Tamiya kit is very nice. One member here painted it completely before assembly as there were no gaps at all. Should be a good return to modeling experience. I hope you opt to stay with it as it can be rewarding and fun. 

Dennis

Howdy from the DFW “Metroplex”! You’ll find this a very convivial and collegial forum. I mean, if they’ll accept we rowdy Texans, they’re a bit o’ all right!

I attended junior high school south of you at Freeport, and I have fond memories of visiting Houston, especially the old Foley’s department store every year at Christmas time, and battleship Texas and the San Jacinto monument and battlefield.

Welcomr to the forum!

Surelu would like to see your work.

I have done plane modelling myself in the past (just two posts in diorama section) now I am on maritime business.

And don't worry, my wife and kids also do not give a damn about modelling 😲, but you won't be alone in this place!

Be Well!

Igkor