Gloster Gauntlet 56 Squadron

-It is a true  beauty and it is not yet finished.

-I envy the quality of  your photos equally......I cannot blame my  trusty digital camera, but as we used to say in the army :There are no bad guns only bad soldiers......

-Bravo mon ami....

Had a really busy, and tiring, week so not a lot of time nor motivation for modelling, but I'm starting on the detail work to get the Gauntlet finished.  My focus yesterday was on the pitot head.  Silver Wings provide a PE one in two parts which isn't very convincing nor easy to install, so I decided to make my own, carving it from an old resin casting block (does anybody else save these or just me?? ).  Anyway, investigation time of course first.  This picture shows the pitot head quite well, but also something else:

MywYJz.jpg

The bead sight is sited in a cut-away on the upper cowling, something else to whittle away!

iA4ku6.jpg

This is a detail from the crashed Gauntlet, image "inverted the right way up" and showing a slightly different design to the top one.  I presume the associated pipework (which on the Tiger Moth runs down the front of the strut) runs inside the hollow struts so that makes life easy(er).  I've carved the head like the lower one so that it fits snugly against the strut but I've yet to add the two "prongs".....photo when it's finished which probably won't be for a few days...more busy-ness..

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Great research, I'm looking forward to seeing it bear fruit. Hope you find some time over the weekend!

I wish too Richie but I fear it may be Monday….might grab a wee while tomorrow depending on what time I get back home, but I don’t want to rush it and c*ck it up! 

• Like 1

- These machines of the thirties were really attractive, you've capture perfectly their like no other lines, very well done Max.

-I've noticed the ring & bead sight arrangemement on the Hind (Fury?) look similar to the one on the gauntlet; You may have noticed I'm not very proficient at machines of  before WW II years ........

- One of the good things of this post is that it made me do some research about Hawker aircraft of the thirties and I've discovered the Hind was a two seater. I will have probably the made the same mistake with French aircrafts of this period.

-II will go to bed less stupid tonight........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

-Thank  you Max for these very interesting photos. My attention was drawn by the openning of the cowling which looks wider than the one on the Gladiator. could it be another "small" modification to do on my Gaunt-tor ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

-Thank  you Max for these very interesting photos. My attention was drawn by the openning of the cowling which looks wider than the one on the Gladiator. could it be another "small" modification to do on my Gaunt-tor ?

Could be JM, I’ll measure the two models just for fun!

• Thanks 1