Gloster Gauntlet 56 Squadron

Thanks Chris, still a bit lacking in energy, no real stamina but all good for modelling! And most importantly, the build’s going without too many hitches at the moment…..but top wing on before too long! 

• Like 1

-The center wing separated from both side of the upper wing is particularly interesting to ease  the installation of the cabane masts and even for the rigging. I may consider this option, with spars joining the outer sections, for my projected Gauntlet from Gladiator kit, after all, it is ot very difficult to realise.....

16 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

-The center wing separated from both side of the upper wing is particularly interesting to ease  the installation of the cabane masts and even for the rigging. I may consider this option, with spars joining the outer sections, for my projected Gauntlet from Gladiator kit, after all, it is ot very difficult to realise.....

It means JM that you can install each wing separately and only “fight” with aligning 4 interplane struts instead of 8, plus the 4 cabane struts if you are doing the whole wing. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, galgos said:

It means JM that you can install each wing separately and only “fight” with aligning 4 interplane struts instead of 8, plus the 4 cabane struts if you are doing the whole wing. 

- Yep, that's the main idea, a wire streched between the two outer masts may give a cue fot the alignement remain the question of the angle, on the ICM kit, the external mast are deeply burried in the wing giving a self angled? mast I don't know wether it is reliabe or not, at worse a template can give the angle...

The location and fit of the struts/masts on the ICM Gladiator is the easiest I’ve seen on any biplane, but on the Gauntlet it’s a different matter, so any method which eases the construction is worth trying! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, galgos said:

The location and fit of the struts/masts on the ICM Gladiator is the easiest I’ve seen on any biplane, but on the Gauntlet it’s a different matter, so any method which eases the construction is worth trying! :)

🍻  🍻

I've been struggling to understand the exact arrangement of these gunsights:

LRGMtj.jpg

so this was my interpretation:

M3srbN.jpg

but Christopher over on iModeller posted this:

9OOI0c.png

.....which started to make a lot more sense of the top photograph.  A little more research revealed:

wG2qMt.jpg

Love it when something comes together like this!  So the present (and future) arrangements this:

AV12Pu.jpg

This is going to be such a busy area because I've got to fit in those bloody bracing wires which I thought weren't there as well as the (refitted) cabane struts and their associated longitudinal bracing wires!  Biplanes.....ggrrrrr! 

• Like 5

Great info there Max on the sights.  The sight arrangement looks good and looks quite realistic too.  Looked great with the struts in place too, I am sure you will soon get that centre section reinstalled ready for the big bits.  

Great work.

Chris

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great info there Max on the sights.  The sight arrangement looks good and looks quite realistic too.  Looked great with the struts in place too, I am sure you will soon get that centre section reinstalled ready for the big bits.  

Great work.

Chris

Very nearly there Chris….struts firmly positioned and centre section in place but not yet glued. 

• Like 1

The die is cast:

rnL7uv.jpg

The base of some of the struts will need a bit of work once the rigging is complete, the fit’s not great. So the plan is tomorrow the port top goes on…..squeaky bum time. Bit of a compromise with the “under centre section” bracing wires, the front ones were easy but I cannot for the life of me see how to wangle fitting the rear ones with theradiator extending up to the centre line and the gunsights in place…..so I’ve not even tried to include them! 

• Like 5

The top wing is on!  Not without its trials and tribulations; first off putting the top centre section on first didn't work well, the margin of error for getting that square and central was too small and the chances of the wings being skewed and out of alignment too great, so that idea was abandoned, though there was a consequence which I've only just discovered.

So once the wing had been assembled and the struts glued in place on the lower wings, it was then "just" a question of lining everything up and gluing the wing in place.  Except of course it's never "just" a question!  Even with the plane mounted on the jig I still needed the capabilities of an octopus to hold everything in place and steady for gluing and setting.  For some reason I have a gap at the top of both port and starboard outer aft strut.....nothing that can't be easily overcome but odd nonetheless.  So the cabane struts, well one actually, that I "tweaked", now a little too short so I need to make a new one, again nothing too major.

Fln3YG.jpg

HSx4WF.jpg

gGlpAf.jpg

Thankfully though everything is square and stable.  My next task is the "X" rigging between front and rear struts (x4) then main rigging completion.  Starting to look like a proper Gauntlet now!! 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Have you used any coarse, vulgar language yet in this build? I ask because that's what popped into my mind when I read this latest installment.

Chris

I could easily have done Chris…..from memory I think I muttered “Oh f**k it!” once but I’m a pretty laid back modeller most of the time. 😇😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see the top wing on Max, shame about the struts but a minor trifle for a Modeller of your calibre.

Looking good and not too far to go now 

Chris

Just lots of fiddly bits Chris! I tend to do these in short bursts of modelling, perhaps half an hour at a time then walk away to do something else (usually involves tea and chocolate biscuits somehow!), then return to the task restored ready for battle. 😉

• Like 2

I can breathe a small sigh of relief because the "X" bracing wires are finished without too much hassle, one or two tested my patience but that is all that's required really with rigging:

64BMq0.jpg

I've yet to address the gap at the top of the rear strut!

KOYa6L.jpg

I'm quietly hopeful that the rest of the rigging will be straightforward, but time will tell.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, galgos said:

I've yet to address the gap at the top of the rear strut!

With eight interplane struts, the probability that one of them does not fit, equals - according to my own experience - to more or less 100 %😀. Excellent work so far.

Edited by Patrik
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

With eight interplane struts, the probability that one of them does not fit, equals - according to my own experience - to more or less 100 %😀. Excellent work so far.

So true Patrik…..just a tiny amount of warpage in that resin wing makes all the difference!