That belongs in a museum! - 1/32 Ho-229 Zoukei Mura museum restoration

Hi all,

I've finally finished replicating the only existing Ho-229 V3 in the world that was previously being restored at Smithsonian museum and I'm quite happy with what I ended up with.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The reference photo I used from Smithsonian air-space magazine is here:

spacer.png

• Like 67
  • Thanks 3

I get it, restored but left in original condition so not being a full restoration it does take on that quality. I think you have achieved that, well done. Refreshing too because all others have been presented as new aircraft.

I saw this in the “flesh” a few years back and I must say you have replicated the look perfectly - a brilliant model. 

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

I saw this in the “flesh” a few years back and I must say you have replicated the look perfectly - a brilliant model. 

Tom

Too bad (?) they've already finished restoration by now. It currently looks like this:

spacer.png

Closer to what it actually would have been if they put it into war, but a lot less interesting compared to what it was before restoration.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, BorisAlexandrov said:

Too bad (?) they've already finished restoration by now. It currently looks like this:

spacer.png

Closer to what it actually would have been if they put it into war, but a lot less interesting compared to what it was before restoration.

I think that is the replica built in California. All the references for the Smithsonian one indicated it is only being conserved, not restored.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robin-42 said:

I think that is the replica built in California. All the references for the Smithsonian one indicated it is only being conserved, not restored.

As above - the 'restored' 229 in the pics above is not the Smithsonian original, it is a replica built in the USA.  The Smithsonian 229 is largely in the same state now that it has always been in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robin-42 said:

Yea after looking closely at this photo I realized that the iconic pins that connect the wing and the fuselage are missing. Definitely a replica.

11 minutes ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Great build - what an unusual looking aircraft; years ahead of it's time.  Did it actually see combat?  Imagine that coming at you!

It didn't see any actual combat unfortunately. This kit included a bit of fictional parts that were likely intended to be mounted on the production aircraft but didn't make it, like the Revi16b gunsight, and the twin Mk103 30mm autocannons.

Having only seen the original 3 days ago there is no restoration work carried out at all on her. Where as most of the other German subjects at the museum have or are mostly complete. No wonder they will get around to it at some point in the future. Still very interesting to see though.

sammy

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Great build - what an unusual looking aircraft; years ahead of it's time.  Did it actually see combat?  Imagine that coming at you!

Not only did it not see combat, it didn't actually fly either.  This was the V3 production prototype, completed - or nearly completed - after the V2 prototype crashed after an engine failure.  Brought back to the US after the war, but never flew there either...

Beautiful work – it looks just like I remember it from a visit in 1979.

The model cries out for a diorama base with a group of aviation nerds with cameras… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

P.S. "It didn't see any actual combat unfortunately." Unfortunately? 🤨

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful work – it looks just like I remember it from a visit in 1979.

The model cries out for a diorama base with a group of aviation nerds with cameras… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

P.S. "It didn't see any actual combat unfortunately." Unfortunately? 🤨

Hmmm I'm actually quite curious to see if it's going to fulfill the "3x1000 (1000km/h speed, 1000kg bomb payload, 1000km range)" vision of Mr. Hermann Meyer...I mean, Hermann Goering, therefore I used the word. You're right, it's quite fortunate that it didn't see any actual combat, and was left as a witness of the final desperate days of the Reich.