On 3/11/2023 at 8:58 PM, Iain Ogilvie said:

Wow - just read from start to finish - the Javelin is one of my favourite aeroplanes.

Cheeky Q - did you put your designs up on Cults, or similar, for purchase? 🙂

I'd love to do a Javelin in 1:32 one day - FDM printed main airframe, and resin printed details...

Iain

Iain, my apologies.  I’ve not seen your post until now.  I’ve not put the parts on Cults although I am considering it.

• Like 1

Today I was able to measure the radar nose of the Newark FAW8 and tomorrow a friend will take similar measurements of the FAW9 at The Jet Age Museum.  With that information I might well be able to create correct 3D printed nose cones for the Airfix Javelin.  I apologise to those of you waiting on improved cockpits, I’ve been busy designing fuselages for the old Airfix Canberra B(I)6 in order to model a PR7., 

• Like 5

I was able to compare the scaled dimensions of the Airfix 1/72 Javelin with the 2 measurements taken - it matches neither!  Too short for a ‘9 and too long for an ‘8.  Looks like I will be needing to work on the front end radome as well as the cockpits.

• Like 4

On 3/29/2023 at 9:21 AM, TeeELL said:

Looks like I will be needing to work on the front end radome as well as the cockpits.

I'd certainly be in the market for both; work on my Javelin FAW.9 is currently paused. Oh, and a Canberra PR.7 fuselage too if you're ever planning to make this available...  got a couple of Airfix B(I).6 kits that need a new lease of life 🙂  Perhaps do an RAF Tengah flight line mid 60's.

Don't know what it is but really I seem to get far more satisfaction reviving these old kits (with your help of course 😉)  than I do from assembling some new superkit. 

Keep up the good work - its great stuff  :thumbsup:

Rich

1 hour ago, RichG said:

I'd certainly be in the market for both; work on my Javelin FAW.9 is currently paused. Oh, and a Canberra PR.7 fuselage too if you're ever planning to make this available...  got a couple of Airfix B(I).6 kits that need a new lease of life 🙂  Perhaps do an RAF Tengah flight line mid 60's.

Don't know what it is but really I seem to get far more satisfaction reviving these old kits (with your help of course 😉)  than I do from assembling some new superkit. 

Keep up the good work - its great stuff  :thumbsup:

Rich

Rich,

the FAW 9 rear end parts, improved U/C, airbrakes out or flush and deployed flaps are available.  I will be looking at a better FAW 7/9 cockpit in the near future and I should have enough info to create the FAW 6/8 cockpit around Easter time.  The FAW 7/9 radome I will look at shortly, along with that of the FAW 6/8.

I’ve all the info I need to create the forward fuselage for the PR7 and I am happy that I’ve the diameter correct - I have a truncated B(I)6 fuselage to check it against when complete.  The interior does require detailing but I can supply either a complete fuselage or 2 halves (or both!)

• Like 1

That sounds brilliant.

I've got your initial Javelin parts and really excellent they are too!

Was part way through my build when you mentioned having a crack at the cockpit, so I thought I'd hold back finishing the Airfix 1/72 Javelin FAW.9. I'm planning a similar uplift on a Frog Javelin FAW.9 to see if I can breathe new life into that. Certainly aware that the Frog kit radome was off; Freightdog Models do a replacement so I have one ready.     

The Airfix Canberra kit nose was always poor so any improvements to its front end are very welcome and the PR.7 is a very rare bird in 1/72!  

Can hardly wait - best of luck!

Rich

Edited by RichG

• 1 month later...

Rich,

I though I should update you on the Javelin cockpit - it has been ‘on hold’ as I’ve been busy with parts for the Canberra conversion.  I am now on my canal boat so nothing will be done for a while (I rather wish I had bought the parts with me to work on!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry just picking this up. Many thanks for the update @TeeELL I'm sure it'll be well worth waiting for.

As it happens I'm immersed in things Canberra myself using your fantastic upgrade parts. I was nearing completion of my PR7 when I realised I needed cameras in the rear fuselage but by then I'd buttoned up the Airfix rear fuselage (not yet joined to the PR7 nose). So plan B is to use this fuselage for a better B(I)6 or a B15.  And continue the PR7 build with a second kit once I've worked out the rear camera locations and flash bay. 

I hope you are enjoying the water - idylic weather. 😎

Rich

Edited by RichG

On 6/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, RichG said:

Sorry just picking this up. Many thanks for the update @TeeELL I'm sure it'll be well worth waiting for.

As it happens I'm immersed in things Canberra myself using your fantastic upgrade parts. I was nearing completion of my PR7 when I realised I needed cameras in the rear fuselage but by then I'd buttoned up the Airfix rear fuselage (not yet joined to the PR7 nose). So plan B is to use this fuselage for a better B(I)6 or a B15.  And continue the PR7 build with a second kit once I've worked out the rear camera locations and flash bay. 

I hope you are enjoying the water - idylic weather. 😎

Rich

Rich,

I made a scaled version template based on the 1/48 scale Alley Cat conversion.  Obviously I cannot send you a copy as I am heading for Liverpool (6 days to go).

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I recently came across a FaceBook group by a couple of people recreating, bit by bit, a ‘new’ Javelin (search Gloster Javelin - a reconstruction).  In one afternoon, reading through their posts and receiving a reply to a query, I found more information on the 2 navigators’s cockpit radar and equipment fit than research over the last year!  If you are into Javelins then please go and join.

Anyway, I’ve been in touch with them and received some detail photos of their MB Mk3JS seat and, using a combination of an Airfix 1:48 seat, an original 1:72 seat plus the various photos I came up with this:

This is an early photo, a lot of additional details have been added:

spacer.png

Having added details such as the height adjustment lever (not that it will be seen!), the Barometric Time Release Unit, Scissor Shackle and so on the file was printed:  (looking at these, I realise that I have published a photo of the first and basic print, the details listed above are not present on these)

spacer.png

I cannot add any harness details - whether that is due to a limitation of the software, my skill or that I’ve simply not discovered how, I know not!  However, some suitably coloured tape should suffice and there are references to the harness in ‘NavyBird’s’ build.  
I was sidetracked initially when designing the seat because the first references and photos I found were of the Javelin mk3J - quite a different design in almost every conceivable way!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Just found out about this thread due to a slight hijacking of another thread :whistle:

You can look forward to an order from me at the end of this month @TeeELL as it's a five week month so money is a touch tight.

Gondor

No worries Gondor.  Whenever you are ready - let me know what you want and I will get it ready for you.

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

Just found out about this thread due to a slight hijacking of another thread :whistle:

You can look forward to an order from me at the end of this month @TeeELL as it's a five week month so money is a touch tight.

Gondor

Feel free to join my Face Book group ‘Airfix Kit Enhancements’, as builds featuring my parts are starting to appear.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeeELL said:

Oh yes!  It is an age thing!  Just been reading through your PM.

No problem as I know what you mean, just glad I remember why I go into the bathroom, let alone any other room :unsure:

Gondor

Jeez Gondor, that must mean passing through at least 2 ‘portals’,  my memory couldn’t cope - good job the bladder serves as a great reminder ?

My contact at ‘The Jet Age Museum’, Staverton, has sent me some additional photos of their MB Mk3JS seat and it has some subtle differences from that of of the ‘Gloster Javelin - a reconstruction’ FB site.

I am continually going back to look at the items I have produced to see if they can be improved - thus eschewing the adage ‘if it ain’t broke - don’t fix it’!

one area that recently jumped out at me when I was showing someone the rear fuselage plug was the difficulty in fitting it to the kit with the turbines fitted.

I have now created a slot across the rear of the plug and the turbine ‘join piece’ has been moved, made narrower and now sits into that slot.  The mating face of the plug with turbines fitted is now flat (or at least as flat as the print support ‘pimples’ allow).

• Like 2

Thanks to Newark Air Museum and the Face Book group ‘Gloster Javelin - a reconstruction’ I have received a number of reference photos and diagrams which should give me enough information to design an alternative Javelin FAW8 cockpit for the Airfix kit.  I am also moving closer to doing rhinoplasty on the Javelin forward fuselage in order to create an AI-17 and an AI-22 nose (the Airfix kit ‘nose’ sits somewhere between the 2).

• Like 4

I guess I’ve mentioned this, but a while back I managed to acquire a part started 1:48 Airfix Javelin, which I figured would give me some details for my 1:72 ‘improvements’.  Last week I decided to dig out the cockpit parts to determine how to recreate them in the smaller scale.  One major item was missing - the front face of the nav’s radar display.  A quick e-mail to Airfix with all the necessary info and I’ve an email today telling me the part is on its way.

• Like 2

And today I found it!  I had gone right through the box looking for the errant part it was nowhere to be found.  Yesterday, not looking for it, it was all but the first thing I did find!  But, yet again, I found another build error in this ‘second hand, part started kit’ - fairly easily corrected, but I can now set too on creating the FAW7/9 and FAW6/8 cockpits - the front very generic the rear, a deal more type specific.

• Like 1

I put a bit of colour onto one of my printed seats, it has highlighted a minor correction required.  Overall I am quite pleased with the end result.  The seat was designed at 1:48 scale using the Airfix seat as a guide; when printed at 66.67% to achieve the 1:72 product the general dimensions very closely match those of the ‘seats’ in the Heller/Airfix kit.  I’ve a set of PJ Production Mk3 seats - they are about 3/4 the size.

When I create some straps for the seat, I think it will be convincing enough.

picture quality isn’t so good due to the size of the part and this morning subdued sunlight.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4