Cleanup on aisle 5: Some silly sod's gob has been smacked, and he left a pool of saliva on the floor once he picked up his bloody jaw. Kids nowadays!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. That means I really like it!

• Haha 3

I am having to use 4G to post this as my t'interweb has gone down!  Surprising just how much goes with it, no dulcet tones from ‘Alexa’ or music from Boom radio, no Ring door bell, no dozens of extra channels on the tellybox (although, with nothing worth watching) etc etc etc.  But the most critical thing is that I cannot use my 3D software properly.

Anyhoooo, I have been painting some examples of the printed items to try and show their ‘finished’ appearance.  One thing I learnt, very quickly, has been how careful you have to be when waving a ‘hairy stick’ around some of the parts.  I have discovered a need to bolster a few of the more delicate parts which, fortunately, can be done fairly unobtrusively; or could be done if I had t’interweb!  So I must exercise patience whilst TalkTalk and OpenReach resolve the problem …… a lot of patience probably.

• Like 2

T21,

keep an eye on this.  When I am as content as I can be that my prints are as good as they can be I will publish it here.

most of the finer detail parts are coming together well, I still have to resolve the biggest issue - the rear fuselage component.

• Thanks 1

The majority of components have reached a satisfactory stage of development and are shortly going to be made available.  The following photo includes everything that is now ready for ‘batch printing’.  PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NOSE-WHEEL LEG HAS BEEN IMPROVED UPON SINCE THE SHOWN EXAMPLE WAS PRINTED.

spacer.png

From front left:

Nose-wheel leg (in the photo the complete actuating mechanism the ‘A’ part was knocked off during painting - additional strengthening has been added).  The nose-wheel leg is available in 2 versions ‘standard’ (complete like the kit) or ‘reinforced’ (hole down the center of the leg for the addition of a suitable steel wire/pin/rod) - both nose-wheel legs come supplied with a separate nose-wheel)

Main U/C actuating mechanism, which includes ‘operating jack’, comes as a pair as they are ‘handed’.  They are a compromise due to the moulded in structure of the kit U/C bay - supplied with the requested main gear legs.

3 examples of the Main U/C door operating mechanism, separated and as printed.  The items come as a pair and are ‘handed’ and have ‘sacrificial parts’ to aid in the printing process and fitting, the completed unit with sacrificial parts removed can be seen in the view of the kit, up and to the right.

Row behind:

Turbine exhaust for Sapphire 6 or 7, turbine exhaust for Sapphire 7R with re-heat unit.  These are supplied as a pair appropriate to the version of Javelin.  They all fit the jet-pipes although I only have Sapphire 7R (FAW 8/9) jet-pipes at present.

Intake bullet and ‘compressor face’, supplied as a pair and designed to fit the Airfix or my seamless intake ducts.

Main U/C leg in the photo the painted leg has a small rhinestone‘taxi lamp’, the unpainted leg has Molotow reflector and ‘Glue ‘n Glaze’ lens.  The legs are supplied as a pair with the actuating mechanisms as mentioned.  The legs are available as ‘standard’ or ‘reinforced’ with axles to suit the Heller/Airfix main wheels or ‘after market’ items.  With a very small amount of work the kit supplied wheels are more than adequate - I do not supply alternatives.  (So there are 4 options for main gear legs).

Final image shows an un-modified  kit wheel pressed into the leg.

Third row:

Painted ‘lowered flaps’, these are ‘handed’ and come as a pair.

Painted Airbrakes retracted, 2 thinned coats of Humbrol enamel to show that the ‘fingers’ can be seen (this example is an ‘upper’ airbrake.  Supplied as a set of 4, 2 x upper and 2 x lower.

Re-heat nozzles for the High Planes Models conversion, correct size, correctly angled down and in, correct number of slots/openings around circumference.  Supplied as a ‘handed’ pair.  Also useable as replacements on FAW9 kits of other manufacturers.

Just to their rear: Painted example of the Airbrakes Out, again this example is an upper airbrake.  Supplied as a set of 4 as per the ‘retracted’ options.

Back row:

FAW 8/9 jet pipe and re-heat nozzle as printed, same removed and painted.  Supplied as a pair to fit my replacement rear fuselage plug.

Replacement, seamless intake ducts, supplied as a pair with compressor face as a separate item.

Finally, off to the right is a example of parts fitted to the Airfix FAW9.

Here is another view of some of spacer.pngthe components:

• Like 6

The Nose-wheel leg has been revised as the mud guard was too far from the tyre and a little more, unobtrusive, strengthening has been added to the ‘actuating mechanism’.  I did a test print of just the wheel yoke and mudguard (to save time) and it is fine now.

The rear fuselage is still trying my patience - there simply is no quick way to test print the modifications in order to achieve as close to a ‘perfect fit’ as I can achieve.  Sorry about that.  I will work on it it and try to resolve the design soon.

Walking back from Air Cadets this evening, it occurred to me that the various components could/should be bundled together, I could print them together even.

For example:

1A - Standard nose-wheel leg and nose-wheel

1B - Reinforced nose-wheel leg and nose-wheel

2A - Standard main-wheel legs (for Airfix wheels), actuating mechanisms, main door actuating arms (x4 in case of breakage)

2B - Reinforced main-wheel legs (for Airfix etc, etc, etc as above

2C - Standard etc (for after market wheels etc etc etc 
and so on.  

Pricing will be simple and inexpensive;  for instance, I cannot see 1A or 1B costing more than £1.  The ‘2’ package around £2 maybe.  If suitable ‘hollow stainless steel tube’ is required then that would add of course.

pair of flaps about £2

Set of Airbrakes open £2, Airbrakes flush £1.

Anyway, I will work out something and I don’t imagine things will be anymore expensive than that (unless the cost of electricity goes sky high!!)

I will ship overseas and get a costing first.  Payment via PayPal or BACS.

• Like 6

The latest version of the rear fuselage is being washed clean of liquid resin prior to the U/V hardening process.  My fingers are very firmly crossed that this will be OK.  - There’s the beep, now off to do the U/V bit.

• Like 1

As I said over on the other site Tony, I'll be up for a couple of sets, including the rear fuselage when you've perfected it - mind you, I've not got a Javelin in the stash so I'll have to source one! 

Cheers! 

Stuart

12 hours ago, Robert said:

The prices you have quoted are very reasonable. Do you go to Telford ?

Regards

Robert

Robert,

I am going to Telford and I will have a display of parts (if my Club is OK with that).  My plan is to take a reasonable number of parts/options although their ‘sale’ will have to be carefully undertaken as I am not a trader!  If you or other members interested want to collect their items at Telford, that is fine I will make sure I take your order made-up and boxed.

You should find me on the Swindon IPMS stand or the Unofficial Airfix Modellers Stand.  I will probably have to identify a 2hr morning and 2hr afternoon period when I will be at the Swindon display.

1 hour ago, TeeELL said:

Robert,

I am going to Telford and I will have a display of parts (if my Club is OK with that).  My plan is to take a reasonable number of parts/options although their ‘sale’ will have to be carefully undertaken as I am not a trader!  If you or other members interested want to collect their items at Telford, that is fine I will make sure I take your order made-up and boxed.

You should find me on the Swindon IPMS stand or the Unofficial Airfix Modellers Stand.  I will probably have to identify a 2hr morning and 2hr afternoon period when I will be at the Swindon display.

That's great news l am there all weekend as part of IPMS Kent. Once you have finalised the items and pricing l will PM you.

Regards

Robert

The latest version of ‘the rear fuselage plug’ is a reasonably good fit but my attempt at replicating the shape up to and then beyond the base of the rudder isn’t working - or rather, it is working but doesn’t look right.  Again, I think it is due to the taper on the fuselage of the model.  I am going to have a go at creating the rear from scratch again.

• Like 3

Been a bit quiet on the Javelin front!  I started again with the rear fuselage plug design and the join seems ti be resolved.  It has thrown up other issues which I need to work on, nothing too major though and a few tweaks with the design should see everything finally sorted out.

Thise of you who have expressed an interest in acquiring parts for your Javelin builds can expect some news next week - good news, I hope.  For those of you attending SMW I will make-up your orders nearer the time.

I am off to my model club to see if I can persuade them to let me display the parts - I may also do the same on the Unofficial Airfix Modelling Forum table (haven’t asked yet though).

• Like 5

Right, my Swindon IPMS club is happy for me to display the parts on our table.  I will have a selection to view and a load of parts available.  It has been suggested to me that I put up the items on ‘Cults3D’, I think I will see what those of you on here think of the items first.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I decided that it would be a great idea to scale up the Javelin parts so that the detail could be more readily seen.  I have up-scaled the U/C parts which threw up some interesting ‘faults’ that are not apparent at the small scale!

• Like 1

Here is a photo of my ‘giant’ parts (they are about 1:29th).  I thought they would be useful at SMW for folk to see the detail.

spacer.png

• Like 6

I am now content that all the parts are ‘ready to go’ with the exception of the rear fuselage which I must focus on.  Scratching my head a bit to resolve the print issue with the jet pipes, I’ve a couple of ideas, all of which require an element of compromise.

the 1/29th prints revealed a couple if errors which are fixed (not helped by my printing the wrong file).

• Like 2

They look very good parts. I would be up for something to pick up at Telford when you finalise the 'packages' I keep putting off building the FAW9 every time I look at the back end

I will be on the Swindon IPMS stand, green polo shirt, yellow logo and ‘TONY’.  I will aim to be on the stand for at least one hour AM and PM on both days.  Will be setting up Friday as well.

I am sorting out and finalising the parts.  I have rationalised the main U/C and actuating mechanism and are printing them attached - why didn’t I think of that before?

OK everyone, can I have an indication of who is looking to acquire parts AND will be attending SMW Telford in November.  I plan to prioritise those orders first.

• Like 2