The T3 will be built as a 29(F) Sqn aircraft although the ‘pen-nib’ fairing will be worked on to enable me to cast extras for the second Javelin, which will become a FAW6.  Obviously the FAW9 kit is being used for helping create all the 3D parts.

spacer.png

• Like 3

As expected the fit of the parts don’t necessarily match the 3D drawings.  No matter, it took just moments to tweak the drawings.  In addition, I have thickened the flaps, again just a moment and a couple of mouse clicks to resolve.  So another print run to proof the new drawings.  It never fails to impress me exactly what these resin printers are capable of - the nose wheel spokes have the gap between them as shown on the photo of the 3D drawing.

• Like 3

I have just wasted a print run because I forgot to add the supports.  Some good came out of it though.  I discovered that the nose wheel legs can be printed with a great deal fewer supports and that my ‘flaps’ did not have the complete design.

I have now corrected everything and I am running another print.

• Like 4

I am pleased to report that the nose wheel leg has printed, with supports, but without the myriad of supports to the mudguard etc.  that saves a huge amount of tidying up.  The flaps are working out - I am now awaiting a side-on view to determine the correct angle so I can build the flap bay as an integral part.  The main undercarriage legs are under way with some compromises as they will be drop-in replacements for the original parts.
I have fitted a nose gear leg to the Airfix model and I am delighted to say that it has worked perfectly.  I will get some photos done next week. 
Once again, the slicing software has produced issues printing the latest version of the rear fuselage, but I will work that out I am sure.

• Like 4

Progress on the main gear assembly is on hold whilst I wait for ‘theplasticsurgeon’ to crawl around the FAW9 at The Jet Age Museum.  He has a list of measurements and photos needed so that I can do as good a job as the Airfix moldings allow.   I hope to produce the lowering/raising mechanism as a drop in unit with the jack and lateral supports and will sit within the bay.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, TeeELL said:

Despit having enough information to crack on with the main gear.  I just keep making stooopid mistakes!  I have stepped back for a while.

Chalk it up to experiential learning. Stupid mistakes are like me jamming a razor chisel blade under my fingernail.     😱

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Well I have done about all I can with the main U/C legs, I need a test print before I design the actuating mechanism.  I’ve done the flaps but need to change the angle!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Working through photos and diagrams of the main U/C bays I must definitely compromise.  The 1/72 bays are the wrong shape below the surface of the wings and I am not going down the ‘Eduard’ route and creating a full replacement.  

• Like 2

Well,

the printer is doing it’s thing and in an hour and half I will know what has and what hasn’t worked!  The U/C bays are probably the most unlikely to work - but time will tell!

Progress is limited!  Having printed the parts I discovered that, somehow, I made the main U/C legs 2mm too short - how, on earth, did I manage to make such a critical error?  The flaps are looking OK but need a little more meat for the printing process.  I guess I am ‘getting there’, but it is proving more challenging than I imagined.  The main U/C bay parts I cannot really check until I’ve sorted the main gear.

• Like 1

This morning I have been re-working the original drawings to correct the dimension errors on the main U/C leg.  What is great about the software is that, if I roll the time-line back to the correction then do the correction, when I roll the time-line to the end all drawings have been updated - even the mirror image leg.  
Here are a couple of photos of components taped in place to give some idea of how they are progressing:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Having placed the flaps in place I can see that the flaps need a bit more work but, in general, they look OK.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think it was on here, but I posted (somewhere) a print failure and someone suggested a site which would check the print files .  I cannot, for the life of me, find that post!   Help!!!

I seem to be doing ‘test prints’ on an almost daily basis!  Today I am hoping to finalise the main U/C legs and associated actuating mechanisms, U/C main door actuating system (very much a compromise as it is worked around the Heller/Airfix wheel well details - there are 2 sacrificial parts to hold things in place until affixed to the appropriate parts) and finish the modifications to the flaps.

As it is Friday I may not have time to photograph the end results, I’ve my Covid booster this afternoon as well!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TeeELL said:

I think it was on here, but I posted (somewhere) a print failure and someone suggested a site which would check the print files .  I cannot, for the life of me, find that post!   Help!!!

This?

https://www.3dcreationlab.co.uk/news/fix-stl-files-for-3d-printer.php

I seem to be doing ‘test prints’ on an almost daily basis!  Today I am hoping to finalise the main U/C legs and associated actuating mechanisms, U/C main door actuating system (very much a compromise as it is worked around the Heller/Airfix wheel well details - there are 2 sacrificial parts to hold things in place until affixed to the appropriate parts) and finish the modifications to the flaps.

As it is Friday I may not have time to photograph the end results, I’ve my Covid booster this afternoon as well!

The test print has completed and I have, what looks like, good prints.  I need to check them out.  The main U/C door operating mechanism has non-prototypical supports because the kit has moulds in the wrong place.  A bit of a large compromise (‘tis underneath though)!   I hope this is the final ‘test print’ I hope.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

H Space Ranger, I don’t think that is the site, I did visit it briefly and I recall it said it would take no more than 4 minutes to resolve an issue.

• Like 1

I will paint some examples of the parts to bring out the detail so you can judge for yourselves whether it was worth the time I have spent creating the items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Space Ranger, still not the one, but I will give it a go.  The only item that can cause issues is the replacement rear fuselage and the very last thin I want find is, after a 2hr 45min print session, that every print has a ‘fill’ down the hole(s) for the jet pipes!

• Like 1