I am also checking the dimensions of the Airbrakes as the earlier photo I published indicates that my forward extension lugs are slightly too narrow compared to the kit.

Having looked closely at my options for revising the airbrakes and attempting to correct some dimensions to match the Airfix kit, I concluded that it would be a whole lot easier to start again.  Fortunately, with additional practice, I am able to create the new parts much quicker than before.  I now have most of the revised components ready for printing.

• Like 3

As far as I am able to tell the new rear fuselage is a good fit (I cannot say ‘very good fit’ because only a coat of primer etc will prove me right or wrong).  I can now add the base for the fin, the 2 ‘drains’ and the angled recesses for the jet pipes.

i have separated and drilled out (No58 drill bit) the nose wheel leg - care and patience very much required!  The hypodermic needle reinforcement looks very effective - I will apply some paint and photograph the end result a bit later.

The seamless intake tubes have worked and the bullet/compressor face is a good press fit.

The fully revised ‘airbrakes out’ look OK and have been printed satisfactorily, I need to sit them over the kit mouldings for final confirmatiin.  Slightly disappointed that I had to compromise the spacing of the fingers/holes but they look good.

I will pop some paint on the various parts to show the detail.

• Like 3

Here are the promised photos, no replacement rear fuselage though as the printing time is longer than I have available this afternoon!

These are examples of the jet-pipes/re-heat nozzles:

one the left are the replacements mounted on a High Planes Models rear fuselage, on the right are ‘my’ nozzles mounted in an early version of the rear fuselage.

spacer.png

These are the re-designed ‘open’ airbrakes.  The base better matches the outlines in the kit and has been designed to be a little more robust:

spacer.png

The other parts, including an example of the ‘reinforced’ nose-wheel leg (the bright finish of the needle is effective as the ‘oleo’).  The compressor both mounted and unmounted and the turbine exhaust (non-reheated version).

spacer.png

It is difficult to make out the turbine blades but they can be seen (kinda pointless when the thing is going to live 30mm down a black tube!).  In addition, I have designed a ‘re-heat’ version based on the unit in the 1/48 kit but I will modify it, if necessary, once I’ve seen the real thing.

• Like 5

If things continue to work out my prototypes will become ‘production’ parts and I will be able to offer then to Javelin aficionados.  Certainly the HPM/Frog nozzles are ready.  So standby for final confirmation!  I do need to do a bit of additional research before offering other components.  I am hoping to have parts available at Telford but as I am not there as a ‘retailer’ we will have to work something out!!??

• Like 5

A question or perhaps a bit of a ‘straw pole’:

If I offer the ‘reinforced’ nose wheel leg should I supply the No58 drill bit and a 19g hypodermic needle with the printed part?

• Like 3

Off to The Jet Age Museum tomorrow with camera, tape measure and note book.  I want some detailed pics of the undercarriage legs, doors and bays, the flaps and inners etc.  Fingers crossed, I can persuade the staff to let me over the rope?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeELL said:

A question or perhaps a bit of a ‘straw pole’:

If I offer the ‘reinforced’ nose wheel leg should I supply the No58 drill bit and a 19g hypodermic needle with the printed part?

Yes, by all means. Hypo needles are not available here in the U.S. without a physician’s prescription.

And for those of us who can’t make it to Telford, I presume we will be able to obtain these items from you by mail?

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Yes, by all means. Hypo needles are not available here in the U.S. without a physician’s prescription.

And for those of us who can’t make it to Telford, I presume we will be able to obtain these items from you by mail?

Yes of course.  I am happy to send overseas.  If you want the reinforced nose wheel and cannot obtain suitable rod or tube I can include a needle for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can imagine that in some jurisdictions, sending hypo needle through the post may be frowned upon. A 19g needle is approx 1.06mm (.042") & pretty close to paper clip diameter. my ones anyway. I'd be keen on a set of these parts too, out here in the farthest reaches of King Charles's realm. :) 

Steve.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I can imagine that in some jurisdictions, sending hypo needle through the post may be frowned upon. A 19g needle is approx 1.06mm (.042") & pretty close to paper clip diameter. my ones anyway. I'd be keen on a set of these parts too, out here in the farthest reaches of King Charles's realm. :) 

Steve.

I suppose some Albion tubing could be substituted, and that’s available in the U.S. But I’ve never received anything from overseas that was opened for postal inspection.

• Like 1

The ‘hypodermic needle’ is actually a blunt applicator with no sharp end.  I can easily cut the the tube if required!  It is possible that a sewing needle etc might be available at 1mm diameter?  Also remember that I have all resin nose-wheel legs.  I will clarify exactly what is available, hopefully, by the end of the month.

Off to measure and photograph the Javelin flaps and bays, main undercarriage legs, engine compressor faces and turbine ‘wee-heat’ components in about 2 hours.  So what I hope to have available is:

corrected rear fuselage

pair of jet-pipe tubes with re-heat nozzles

pair of turbine rear faces

pair of seamless intake tubes

pair of compressor faces

4 x Airbrake extended

4 x Airbrake flush

1 x all resin nose leg

1 x reinforced nose leg

pair of resin main legs + jacks *

pair of reinforced main undercarriage legs + jacks *

Main undercarriage doors + jacks *

pair of flaps lowered. *

pair of flap bays *

* not yet started

replacement re-heat nozzles for High Planes Models rear fuselage (also useable on Frog model)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Spent this afternoon in the company of ‘the plastic surgeon’ at The Jet Age Museum.  Photos taken and measurements done so I am now able to correct a few parts already done and start work on the main gear etc.  Funny thing though, halfway home I thought of a whole bunch of things I coulda/shoulda measured/photographed!

• Like 5

So far I have corrected the Sapphire 7R turbine end, corrected the Compressor end and I am re-working the nose leg.  My present nose leg doesn’t sit at the correct, slightly forward, angle so I am going to re-work the actuating linkage to ensure all the final angles are correct - I’ve added the operating jack as well (definitely loosing the plot!).

• Like 5

Today I visited the Midlands Air Museum, Coventry.  I was allowed to get ‘up close and personal’ with their FAW5, so I now have more photos and some more measurements!  I was able to look, quite closely, at the airbrakes and how they operate together, but in 1/72 I think my compromise will suffice!  As with the FAW9 at ‘Jet Age’, the main gear doors were closed (serving as storage for paint etc!), so I couldn’t get any real detail unfortunately.  That said, I purchased a signed copy of ‘Flying Flatiron Gloster Javelin’ by Alex Crawford which is proving quite useful.

I’ve even spotted a couple of photos that feature the OC 44Sqn (nav plotter on my first Vulcan crew’, when he was a young nav on the Jav.

• Like 2

I'm fairly certain it's already been mentioned on this thread, but I appreciate all the work you are doing as it will probably lead to a new-mould 1/72nd scale Airfix Javelin FAW9. If it doesn't, I will certainly be interested in the upgrade bits you're working on. Either way, thank you!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Whilst my priority is to resolve the issues with the Airfix FAW9, I am gleaning enough information to consider creating a replacement rear for the FAW7, amongst other options.  Spent the last 2 hours correcting the nose gear using dimensions from todays adventure, still a bit to go yet but I have modified the retraction linkage to ensure the leg sits at the ‘slightly forward’ angle and I have added a plate at the front to sit against the front bulkhead and give additional surface area for adhesives.  I will post the final image in due course.

• Like 6

I have undertaken a complete revision of the nose wheel leg and have both the ‘standard’ and ‘reinforced’ versions ready for a test print.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Having been able to view both upper and lower airbrakes I have added the small slot that is featured on the upper airbrakes:

spacer.png

Having measured the ‘real thing’ and then the ‘after market’ nose wheel, I spent an interesting hour or so designing my own:  (if this works it will save me buying more ‘undersized’ after market wheels)!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next task is to create the flaps!

• Like 7

I have to say that the flaps are a real pita!  I am not going to try and reproduce the challenging shapes of the reinforcement, I have opted for ‘slots’ which in 1/72 will pass muster.  I have done 3/4 of one flap so far!  I just hope I can ‘mirror’ what I have created.

• Like 1

I have loaded my Mars2 Pro with the print file and now have about 2 hours to wait until I find out what has and what hasn’t printed!  I am mindful that the overall depth of the flaps might be too shallow.

The print has finished, the parts have been washed and zapped with UV.  In general, I am very happy with the end results.  I do need to beef up the flaps as they are probably a bit ‘too scale’ and are fragile.  All the other parts look fine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1