Do you have any reference photos on the airbrakes? The Airfix 1:48 kit has the openings rectangular, as are the corresponding portions of the air brake well:

DSCF1338

DSCF1340

I have this photo, but it's not the best.

airbrakes resamp

For what it's worth, the PE air brakes from Airwaves also have rectangular openings. To correctly model the air brakes open, you'll need the well too.

I really like what you've done with the reheat nozzles and the rear fuselage - we Javelin fans are indebted to you for taking the time to do this. Thank you!!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I'm just a sexagenarian (fnaar, fnaar!). I would also be interested in any little bits and bobs to make the 1/72nd scale Airfix Javelin more accurate.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Oh dear, I do hope I spelt 'fnaar' correctly.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been doing a little refining of parts, including squaring off the airbrake slots - I’ve no idea why I thought they had rounded ends!  In addition I have created the exhaust turbine to fit my jet pipes and intake compressor to fit the Airfix intake tubes although I plan to print a set so no join.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Everything is printing at the moment so thumb twiddling for 2 hrs 30!

• Like 6

I did find a reference ohoto confirming the airbrakes as having rectangular openings.  Mine have been modified, sorry about the quality of the second photo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi TeeELL,  Could I add my name to the list of those interested in some Javelin rear ends.  I still have a number of Airfix and Heller Javelins,  but knowing now the mess Airfix made of the retool puts me off the FAW9.  I am impressed by your design skills,  it is something I am keen to learn about,  but not sure where to start.  My career etc,  was on the less technical side of things. 

Regards,  Martin

13 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hi TeeELL,  Could I add my name to the list of those interested in some Javelin rear ends.  I still have a number of Airfix and Heller Javelins,  but knowing now the mess Airfix made of the retool puts me off the FAW9.  I am impressed by your design skills,  it is something I am keen to learn about,  but not sure where to start.  My career etc,  was on the less technical side of things. 

Regards,  Martin

Mr T, there is one way to learn, get some basics done by buying some courses from Udemy, then use youtube and try something you want that, in a nut shell, is what I did.  Less than 4 months ago I would never have imagined I would have been creating these things!  As for ‘less technical’, all I ever did was drive military aircraft around!

• Thanks 1

Everyone,

I don’t want to break any forum rules.  I will make the parts I am creating available to forum members.  Please PM me rather than through this thread.  

• Like 1

Hi TeeELL,

I’m a dedicated fan of post war jets with a particular ‘love’ of the Javelin. One of my first jobs was to calibrate the production Concorde’s pressure errors using XH987. Hours spent reading aneroid barometer readings from 35mm film over a hot light-box…..

In my younger years I built Frog and Heller Javelin kits (only in 1/72 of course) and now have both and a few Airfix kits in my stash, so I too would like to register my interest in the work you’re doing and any possibility of using your expertise (and tenacity) to get the back end and the airbrakes to look more accurate. I’m enjoying following your thread!

Regards, 

Simon

Hi everyone,

thanks for the interest, especially those of you interested in acquiring copies!  I am in the process of determining whether it would be appropriate for ‘Admin’ to kick me into the 3D section, so it is possible you might find me there.

An update,  after 2.5 hrs the printing was complete and I have to say that, for the most part I am very pleased with the results.

The corrected re-heat nozzles for the High Planes correction set have turned out well (even better when I realised I had fitted them upside down!) and the jetpipes fitted the new rear end I had printed - as if they were designed too Lol.

in the following images the High Planes fuselage plug is on the left and note that the re-heats are held on with double sided tape.  They would also need a bit more cleaning up before use - but I am very pleased with the ‘toe-in’ and downward cant.  Compare them with the items I printed.

spacer.pngspacer.png 

The Compressor face and intake bullet have worked well with the compressor blades (the correct number - or darn close) visible.  The intake bullet could probably do with being slightly thicker and longer - ‘ooh err matron’!  At the other end the turbine blades can also be made out (too difficult to count so there are ‘lots’) spacer.png

I have judged the size and shape of the large central ‘bit’ from a photo of the cutaway engine in one of the museums.

• Like 6

I don’t know why one sentence in the previous post decided to expand to fill the space!

forgot to mention that the airbrakes have worked in principle but I didn’t extrude the fuselage rectangles quite enough to come through the ‘holes’.  I need to work on that.

Whoa everyone.  I am encouraged by the responses I am getting over these parts I am producing.  Can I please ask you to just ‘bookmark me’ or whatever, just for now.  Everything is in ‘prototype’ stage and I am still working out the processes and best way to support the models for printing etc.

For instance:  I’ve produced the jet-pipe/reheat but now the turbine face.  I could print it in place, but painting would be a nightmare so it needs to be a separate entity.  In addition, I am going to be ‘off the grid’ this weekend for nearly 3 weeks so I don’t want to commit to supplying anything before then.

(Selwyn, you will be the exception to that).

Bottom line, hang back until I offer certain components and then PM me  - hope that is OK?  
anticipate the High Planes corrected nozzles to be ‘early releases’.

• Like 4

I might well take examples of these parts to Telford so folk can see them in the flesh.  If I do they may well be on the Swindon IPMS stand.  Details nearer the time.

I am supposed to be ‘doing stuff’ that has nothing whatsoever with modelling or 3D - but a break is a break.  Having seen that the airbrakes are not quite right I have changed the ‘fuselage bit’ and tried to be a right clever clogs.  I have designed it with the actuators and fitted the rails onto the airbrake.  Once again, the proof will be in the printing, which I will try out in just a moment!

Pictures are worth 1000 words:

the ‘double sided’ fuselage part:

spacer.png

spacer.png

the modified airbrake

spacer.png

spacer.png

The fuselage component slot should allow the modified airbrake to fit flush - we shall see Lol!

• Like 3

This is how the prints have come out:

spacer.png

I have to determine which is the most favourable printing orientation and, of course, see if they fit together as planned.  I might need to thicken up the airbrakes themselves as they are a bit wobbly in some print orientations!

• Like 3

Nearly!!  The A/B open works but I have a tiny bit of interference on the ‘closed’ fit.  The items ‘modelled’ are just fresh from the printing supports I will decide which orientation best suits open and best suits closed.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I have done some major revisions on the airbrakes and wing inserts. The spacing on the two outer 4 slots needed adjusting, in addition I have beefed up the airbrake components itself.  Prototypes printing.

The revised prints are undergoing the hardening process and will be ready for checking shortly.

in the meantime ………. I have an abiding memory of dissecting the Airfix Javelin nose wheel leg in order to fit an after market replacement wheel.  I thought I could do something better?  
I have started with the more difficult bit, at least I think it is?

spacer.png
spacer.png

There was quite a lot of trial and error in this, in particular the mud guard support and the mud guard.  I plan to try and find some stainless steel tubing (hypodermic needle perhaps?) 1mm in diameter to serve as the oleo but also to strengthen the unit.

• Like 5

The airbrakes are probing a bit more challenging than anticipated!  The A/B extended option is OK but a bit too delicate but the A/B closed is not working just now.  I think I will have to go to the original plan of creating that in one piece.  

• Like 1