1/12 Heller Ligier JS11 Silverstone 1979

A difficult base model, ill fitting, badly moulded and just plain incorrect in many parts and places. However, as usual, this gives great scope for the dedicated, or some might say foolhardy, modeller. The result is very gratifying even if It is not totally correct - there are some areas of the subject that there just isn't reference to and even common sense doesn't produce a completely satisfactory depiction; I've tried my best. Lesson learned - a complete and thorough dry fit is necessary, I nearly always find that something isn't square, but only at the very end!

• Body colour - Tamiya TS 10 French Blue, over 26 Pure White - no clearcote

• other components generally Halfords automotive spray cans - satin Black and weathered/toned with MIG dark wash

• Chrome and other metal colours - Alklad

• Seat cover is tissue worked with PVA glue, belt is inkjet printed on photoquality paper from my own artwork with resin cast hardware by Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland (Norm Veber, doesn't appear to produce any F1 items these days). The back (maybe a little whimsical) but one reference photo appears to show yellow carbon/kevlar

• The Heller decals were useless not only because they were yellowed with age (and not even UV exposure treatment helped) but mainly they are incorrect - wrong typeface/sizes/poor definition. Bestbalsakits are by far the best for both quality and being comprehensive and the ONLY absolutely correct set. I also used BBK instrument/gauges decal sheet

• I replaced every single rivet with PlusModel (Czech Republic) resin items

• The air intake funnels and plug details, mesh etc of the DFV engine is Model Factory Hiro

• Switches on the dashboard are by Decalcas

• Surprisingly, the supplied Heller kit tyres - solid plastic, not vinyl - initially disappointing (their profiles are completely wrong), redeemed themselves with the 'hardness' of the plastic proving the perfect medium for detailing slightly worn formula one tyre texture

• The Heller rear, inboard, brake calipers were...       'disappointing'. I replaced them with a pair of Italeri 1/12 Alfa Romeo 179 units (Italeri could not have been more helpful, for a cost, obviously)

• The representation of the 'glass' (windscreen) in this model (and every vehicle model, especially at smaller scales) is woeful. Simple enough to re-cut it in thin acetate and, in this case, give it a very light coat of Tamiya TS71 Smoke

• There are many small items that I have 'scratched' together - the roll over hoops are 2.5mm solder for instance

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

p?i=32276bc11f285ba62e9be5cee38e85a6

spacer.png

p?i=cbb07009b1dd0e1e206d15d71d983580

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, modelbautony said:

A difficult base model, ill fitting, badly moulded and just plain incorrect in many parts and places.

I think that goes for every Heller kit ever made TBH, or it has in every one I've ever made or attempted

You seem to have made a silk purse out of a pigs ear though with this, well done, the little extras make all the difference, nice photography as well :) 

Ian 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

I think that goes for every Heller kit ever made TBH, or it has in every one I've ever made or attempted

You seem to have made a silk purse out of a pigs ear though with this, well done, the little extras make all the difference, nice photography as well :) 

Ian 

Many thanks Ian. Yes, I've steered clear of Heller most of my modelling life but they do produce some interesting French subjects that no one else does. I have a few more recent subjects which appear (on the sprue) to be better (moulded); we'll see.

• Like 1

Let's hope 😃

Like you say, they do have some interesting subjects. Last one I built was the Peugeot 205 EV2 rally car, it fitted a gap in my group B builds so I got one. Bodyshell looked good, but the fit of the doors etc was horrendous, this was probably the worse and most basic kit I've ever built, but as I said, it filled a gap without paying MFH or exclusive resin kit high prices

Ian 

• Like 1

Apologies to Malc2 for not having credited him in my original post for sending me a thoroughly comprehensive set of research images which complimented those I had already accumulated myself from the internet. 

Thanks Malc

On 03/09/2022 at 09:29, Malc2 said:

Just found this thread and have to say its great to see you have finished this, it looks absolutely fabulous.

Did yours suffer from the side pod floor being mis-shaped/warped?

M.

Thank you Malc, much appreciated.

In many respects it's easier to list the parts that weren't ill fitting or poorly shaped. I can't say the sidepods were warped but the instructions do not sufficiently illustrate the exact position for locating over or under the insubstantial positioning lugs and, as there is nothing to attach the upper surface of the sidepods there is some inevitable 'sagging'!

It was the (?) engine cover that was, in the end, more warped. Despite, after some gentle encouragement with steam/heat etc, cutting off the outer flat areas, re-working with some nice flat plasticard, it still is the most disappointing element of the finished car, hence there are no photos with it in position!

spacer.png

Edited by modelbautony
incorrect placing of reply
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Thanks, I suspect as you mention you had the hard moulded tyres your kit is a different (earlier?) release to mine as I have the (terrible!!) soft vinyl tyres in my kit.

My engine cover does not fit either!

M.

As much as I moan about poorly fitting model moulds it does make me feel somewhat more satisfied to achieve a reasonable end result. As I said in the pre-amble to this thread, although the tyres are completely the wrong profile the hard plastic really did enable me to give a fair representation of real life wear and pick up. 

Good luck with completing yours Malc, it only took me 3 or 4 years for mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely top-notch build!

I can imagine the effort that went into this, especially considering the scale (all those details) and how challenging the kit was.

Also, lovely to see a car from a golden age (IMHO) of F1 when the cars were beautiful.

👍👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kapam said:

Absolutely top-notch build!

I can imagine the effort that went into this, especially considering the scale (all those details) and how challenging the kit was.

Also, lovely to see a car from a golden age (IMHO) of F1 when the cars were beautiful.

👍👍

Thank you.

I quite agree. I was only thinking the other day whether the current Formula One cars will be regarded as design/engineering classics? My personal opinion is no. There was so much diversity too in design solutions in the 1960 - 80s.

• 1 month later...

Super job! I remember this car as an airfield marshal at Silverstone Circuit at the time. Thanks for reminding us of this superb F1 car.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PatW said:

Super job! I remember this car as an airfield marshal at Silverstone Circuit at the time. Thanks for reminding us of this superb F1 car.

Many thanks PatW. It's always encouraging to receive complimentary remarks from those who witnessed these historic items in their heyday - not that I'm suggesting you are historic, by any means. I could easily have been there myself as an early twentysomething but only got to Silverstone once, as a spectator, for the British GP, and I cannot recall the year. Mansell was at Williams (I think it would have been an FW11?). It's strange to think you would probably have been there and we may well have seen each other.

9 hours ago, modelbautony said:

Many thanks PatW. It's always encouraging to receive complimentary remarks from those who witnessed these historic items in their heyday - not that I'm suggesting you are historic, by any means. I could easily have been there myself as an early twentysomething but only got to Silverstone once, as a spectator, for the British GP, and I cannot recall the year. Mansell was at Williams (I think it would have been an FW11?). It's strange to think you would probably have been there and we may well have seen each other.

Historic? Possibly! I'm only 74 and have 25 years to go!

• Like 1