1:72 Valom Northrop BT-1 Dive Bomber

On 06/09/2022 at 09:44, Terry1954 said:

..... and noticed that the wing chevrons on that particular aircraft seemed to be set aft compared to any others I've ever seen. Thus makes them seem to have been cut short at the wing walkway area. I notice the two aircraft ahead also have that as you can't see the chevron's in the shot, which should cut through the dive flaps towards the outer edge. I wondered if that was peculiar to this particular squadron?

I just had a quick read through this thread, and realised that Dana Bell answered your question! The chevrons were moved for the same reason that the yellow paint wraps around the leading edge - in the original configuration both the yellow paint and the front of the chevrons disrupted the airflow. I guess that's the same reason why the Formula One teams tape all the seams on the cars. Or something like that.

She be aluminated.

IMG_6555

This is Alclad White Aluminium as previously recommended. I'll let this dry/cure/become impervious to fingerprints, then I'll mask her up for the yellow. And of course the red on the tail. The walkways and chevrons will be decals I think. We'll see. There is also a blue fuselage stripe and also some blue on the front of the cowling. She should look quite dapper when all that is on. In any event I think it will look OK - not a great kit to begin with and not a display of good modelling skills by yours truly. Too many life episodes were interfering with this one.

I've started building the Airfix Club Meteor F.8, which is actually from Xtrakit/MPM tooling. Of course, I should wait another month or so and get the new Airfix tooling, but since I already have this one - build it I shall. I have some aftermarket - Eduard etch, Master pitot, etc. - and that will tart her up a bit. I've done a lot of test fitting and it seems pretty good. I know that folks say the wings are too thick or something, but it doesn't look very bad to me. But then, what do I know? This is the first MPM kit that I've built which has locating pins. Not for everything, mainly the fuselage and wings and there are locating guides for most of the other parts. I'll start another WIP shortly.

(I also have the CyberHobby Meteor F.3 which is an absolutely gorgeous kit. Maybe I should build it side-by-side with the F.8.)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 16

It's looking very nice in aluminium, I'm looking forward to all the colours going on as well.

I definitely think you should build both of the Meteors, though if you're building one anyway, do you want to join in with the Meteor GB that kicks off in a fortnight?

James

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I just had a quick read through this thread, and realised that Dana Bell answered your question! The chevrons were moved for the same reason that the yellow paint wraps around the leading edge - in the original configuration both the yellow paint and the front of the chevrons disrupted the airflow. I guess that's the same reason why the Formula One teams tape all the seams on the cars. Or something like that.

That's fascinating, I just looked back and read dana's explanation. I must admit I had not considered that demarcation between paint layers could cause that level of airflow disruption 🤔

The white aluminium looks super slick Bill. Will you lay on an undercoat of some kind for the yellow wing tops?

Terry

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

Somehow it’s just so signature Navy Bird to have that lovely smooth finish.

Ain't that true? I think we should set a new standard and call it NBS (Navy Bird Smooth). :clap:

Ciao

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Fritag said:

Unless of course all the flaws or on the other side of the fuselage…:D

I showed you the other side after I painted her grey. I put all the mistakes on the underside! This takes a lot of planning.     :drunk:

16 hours ago, 81-er said:

I definitely think you should build both of the Meteors, though if you're building one anyway, do you want to join in with the Meteor GB that kicks off in a fortnight?

I'm leaning that way - the CyberHobby kit looks phenomenal. Thanks for the heads up on the Meteor GB, I didn't know about that one. I should pay more attention!     :doh:

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The white aluminium looks super slick Bill. Will you lay on an undercoat of some kind for the yellow wing tops?

What is it that some modellers swear by as a base for yellow - pink maybe? I have several bottles of Gunze H19 Pink. Not sure why, but I do.      :elephant:

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Ain't that true? I think we should set a new standard and call it NBS (Navy Bird Smooth). :clap:

Nothing But Sh*te might be more like it!      :tease:

Smooth is easy, you just have to remember that thinner is your friend. If you get the famous "orange peel" finish, you're spraying too thick. I aim for a viscosity the same as water, with several coats required to build up the colour. If you've ever sprayed the MRP airbrush-ready lacquers, that is what I try to do with every paint I use regardless of type or brand. Just be careful - don't open up your brush and try to blast it. Puddles are no fun.

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Argent rampant on azure field - an immaculate appearance as always Bill.

Now don't get all fancy schmancy on me. It's just a bit of silver on some blue paper.     :)

My poor attempts at humour aside, thanks for the nice compliments guys! I will be shooting the yellow tomorrow, so stay tuned. I was going to do that today, but wifey and I went to a travel presentation about the Rocky Mountaineer train journey. This goes through the Canadian Rockies with one of those glass roofed train cars, staying overnight at select lodges in the mountains. Looks like a really beautiful trip. Besides, my kids do not need to inherit any of my estate. I plan on spending it all - as my finance guy likes to say "I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack."

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Rocky Mountaineer train

Do it Bill, you won’t regret it.  My wife and I did it a few years back, fabulous trip, gorgeous scenery, great food and service and Canada is just so nice.  As a bonus we made friends with a couple from New Jersey on the train who we have kept in touch with (and were going to visit in 2020 until that virus came along and scuppered our travel plans). 

AW

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Andwil said:

Do it Bill, you won’t regret it.  My wife and I did it a few years back, fabulous trip, gorgeous scenery, great food and service and Canada is just so nice.

Yeah, the trip looks amazing. Which route did you take? Did you upgrade to the Gold Leaf package, and if so do you consider it worth the extra money? We have three vacations planned next year - Hawaii for our 50th anniversary (kids and grandkids coming too), Disney, and a Caribbean cruise. The Rocky Mountaineer will have to be in 2024. If I live that long!     :drunk:

16 hours ago, Learstang said:

She's looking right smart there Bill! It may not be a great kit, but it's obviously build-able, even (probably) by someone of my rather suspect talents.

Thanks. The kit is certainly able to be built - I've seen a lot worse. It seems like a typical short run kit, and due to the smooth almost glossy finish of the bare plastic I suspect it was moulded by Sword. So if you can handle MPM/Special Hobby/Xtrakit/Sword, etc. you'll have no problem with this one.

The wings are yellow. I'm letting the paint cure for a bit before I take off the masking. Stay tuned for the great reveal!     :)

I sprayed the Chrome Yellow right over the Alclad, I didn't put down any other base such as white, etc. I figured the White Aluminium was light enough and fairly neutral in colour so it wouldn't mess up the yellow. It came out fine.

The aircraft I'm modelling is from 1938, and the photos in the Ginter book for that time period often don't show the yellow wrapping around the leading edge. Some do, but most don't. I'm not sure when they started painting that way, so I wrapped the yellow around to try and match the later photos.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Yeah, the trip looks amazing. Which route did you take? Did you upgrade to the Gold Leaf package, and if so do you consider it worth the extra money?

We did the grand circle, Vancouver to Banff via Kamloops then coach to Lake Louise and Jasper and then the train back to Vancouver via Whistler.  We also added on the Alaska cruise.  We had the silver package for accommodation but upgraded to gold for the train.  Worth it for the panoramic windows on the train. I think we were better off in Banff staying in easy walking distance of the restaurants, sights and shops than the gold class folks staying up in the Fairmont out of town and needing to use shuttles to get around.

AW

• Like 2

Thanks @Andwil. The fellow that did the presentation made the same point about not staying at the Fairmont lodge unless you just wanted to sit around all day and look at the lake. He was also, perhaps surprisingly, pushing the Silver Leaf over the Gold, as he said you had more leg room in the seats (because you have a pull down tray for your meals versus a separate dining car.) He also said the Silver coach was taller, since it was not two-level. Choices, choices...

Your route must have taken three weeks, especially with the addition of the cruise. I'm jealous!

OK, I promised some yellow wings. The masking came out OK, I don't see too many spots that need to be touched up.

IMG_6558

IMG_6559

IMG_6557

The tape pulled up a teeny tiny bit of the Alcad on the starboard side (I Photoshopped it for the photo). Tomorrow I'll cover up that digital paint with real paint.

We'll let the yellow cure until I can't smell it anymore then we can mask for the walkways and the chevrons. The chevrons are the same True Blue as the fuselage stripe and the forward portion of the cowling. The tail will be Insignia Red, which is probably what I'll do next. I plan on Gunze H15 for the blue and H327 for the red.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 15

Bill, I suspect you're correct about a connection with Sword. I immediately noticed that the plastic was the typical Sword plastic - shiny, bluish-grey plastic. As I've no doubt mentioned at least once on this thread, I am a battle-hardened limited-run kit modeller, so there's not much out there that can scare me away. I've looked at mine and test-fitted the parts and I didn't see anything that made me want to put it away in a dark place and then go have a lie-down. I've definitely seen much, much worse. And the yellow wings look brilliant on her - can't wait to see the blue bits! The chap who was pushing the cheaper package on your trip must have been a Canadian; no self-respecting 'Amurcan' would do such a thing. Bloody Canadians - nice, and honest! Not to be allowed!

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. I've just noticed the perforated edge of the wing cutout for the flaps - did that come with the kit as a PE part? That looks good. I'd go look for my kit, but it's buried somewhere in my shambles of a workroom.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Your route must have taken three weeks, especially with the addition of the cruise. I'm jealous!

When you have to travel so far you have to make the most of it!  Adelaide to Vancouver via Auckland is a long trip, especially flying diagonally the entire length of the Pacific.

Yellow wings look very nice.

AW

• Like 1

Another result in par with NBS (Navy Bird Smooth, for new viewers :D )  :clap: :clap: 

Out of curiosity: did you gloss coat the Alclad White Aluminium before masking for yellow?

Ciao

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andwil said:

I think we were better off in Banff staying in easy walking distance of the restaurants, sights and shops than the gold class folks staying up in the Fairmont out of town and needing to use shuttles to get around.

AW

Agreed! We've always stayed downtown rather than the high-cost, more distant Fairmont. There are some great restaurants downtown.

Chris

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Learstang said:

I've just noticed the perforated edge of the wing cutout for the flaps - did that come with the kit as a PE part?

Yes - I mentioned earlier how the PE parts were present, but no mention was made in the instructions. Pay attention young man!     :fight:

18 hours ago, Andwil said:

When you have to travel so far you have to make the most of it!  Adelaide to Vancouver via Auckland is a long trip, especially flying diagonally the entire length of the Pacific.

You could always stop a couple times on the trip - Tahiti, Hawaii, etc. Then it wouldn't seem so long...     :)

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yellow wings look spot on. Which make and shade did you use?

Gunze H329 Insignia Yellow.

10 hours ago, 81-er said:

The yellow wings do indeed look very nice, Bill :) For some unknown reason I'm getting an urge to go on holiday...

Yeah, that happens to me every time I see the approach of winter over the horizon...

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Out of curiosity: did you gloss coat the Alclad White Aluminium before masking for yellow?

Nope.

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Agreed! We've always stayed downtown rather than the high-cost, more distant Fairmont. There are some great restaurants downtown.

Whenever I see a secluded lodge in the mountains like that, all I can think of is The Shining. And I'm too old for a big wheel.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Bill, wow, what an amazing thread—hopefully @Dana Bell can get the interior colors book together—moving on, I will say that this build is making me look at TBDs as builders now—you have/are doing an amazing job w/this kit and it shows in the silver and gloss finish—not easy!  Well done and following the final rounds with interest—best, Erwin 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Another result in par with NBS (Navy Bird Smooth, for new viewers :D )  :clap: :clap: 

Ditto.

We did the Rocky Mountaineer too; back in 2013.  Just Jasper-Kamloop-Vancouver as I remember, which was 2 days on the train. I can’t remember what the difference between silver and gold was; but we did the GoldLeaf and didn’t regret it.  There’s something rather pleasing about having your meals in a dedicated dining car.  I don’t remember feeling there was a lack of headroom upstairs.  But then I’m 177cm tall (c.5’ 9 1/2”) so headroom would have to be pretty poor before it troubled me!

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

And some red...

IMG_6563

IMG_6561

Tricky little masking job with the curves around the tailplanes. Most likely I won't get to the blue today as I have a wedding to go to. This will have to be your yellow wing fix for today.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18