1/48th Scale BPB Gunboat MGB75

Just the follow-up thread from my recent build thread BPB Gunboat Build.

My photography is equal to my rigging skills, i.e. not great.  Still this time I've made a little effort to show the boat clearly without distractions.

This project started with the Haynes Manual I'd bought while researching the Vosper MTB.  This excellent book contains reproductions from two shipyard drawings.  These were enough to challenge me to build it, unusually, there are no commercial model plans available...

So, this is what I started with (the plan was scanned and scaled to 1:48th), it's pretty clear and good enough to work from.  The second sheet has the lines...  IWM also has some detail drawings scanned , a real help on the deck-house shape

DSCN2670

I won't repeat the build details here, they are fully covered in the build thread, still, for those who don't want to work through that, the boat is mainly made in wood and metal, as with my other projects.  The hull is diagonal planked in cherry and maple.  In the right light, the faint diagonal lines on the hull are just discernible.  Custom brass etchings were used for the gun mounts and other details, the props were cast bronze to my drawings and some components were 3D resin printed at home.  The rope coil is rope made on my little ropewalk from 6-strands of fine off-white cotton.  It's an emergency tow-rope anchored to the water-line tow point  

The model is hand painted using Vallejo paints and washes.  The blue (B15) and pale grey (507C) are my own mix, The white is Vallejo Off-white.  After a lot of studying photographs, I decided the hull was grey while the deck-house is white.  The cowl vents are blue.  As ever, who really knows, but these colours do align with the photographs. The modelled was weathered using (mostly) Vallejo washes and metallic chipping, I like my models to look lived in (painting is a journey, I have a long way to travel but I think I'm getting better albeit slowly).  The ensign was hand-painted on linen using fabric paint

The only commercial items I bought were the grab-rail stanchions, fine-scale O gauge railway items.

The model is mounted on a French-polished stop-chamfered oak base and turned brass pillars.  The forward pillar has a steel pin that runs in a brass tube set into the keel to keep it balanced and allow it to seem to float.  The details plate was supplied by Engraving Studios who do an excellent service for ~£14 all in.  The case is made but I've not had the opportunity to collect it yet.

DSCN2663

DSCN2661

DSCN2662

DSCN2664

The boat poles were added since the build thread, they are brass and lime wood.  A couple of buckets have also been added, for cooling gun barrels. The figure climbing into the "dustbin" is added for scale, he is from Shapeways

DSCN2665

DSCN2666

Finally, this thread wouldn't be complete without the companion model I build last year, the Vosper MTB, for comparison.  I think they make a great pair side by side, both are ~ 70ft, they often operated together

DSCN2668

Thanks again to all those who commented and helped during the build and of course for the many likes.

I'll be back soon with more progress on the Räumboote drawings and build

Cheers

Steve

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

• Steve D changed the title to 1/48th Scale BPB Gunboat MGB75

Fantastic Steve, this & the other one, I'm as envious as hell you having those in your collection. With luck I can come up with something similar in 1/72 down the track. Btw, is your title  ment to be 1/4 scale or 1/48th scale, I found it confusing.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Btw, is your title  ment to be 1/4 scale or 1/48th scale,

Stupid typo, now corrected.  1/4 scale would be 18ft long, just think of the detail you could get into that model....:rofl:

Cheers

Steve

• Haha 1

Well it is always a pleasure to see your builds Steve and another great result I think you have captured the very hard worked look of these boats to perfection,  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2022 at 03:18, ArnoldAmbrose said:

they're great models and beautifully presented

Thanks Jeff, this was always intended to be a pair, same length, different purpose.  Makes an interesting comparison of form I think

On 12/08/2022 at 08:30, stevehnz said:

I'm as envious as hell you having those in your collection

Thanks Steve, if you want to make your own, I'd be very happy to assist 👍

On 12/08/2022 at 08:39, Rich75 said:

words won't do it justice really,

outstanding job! 

I'll happily take that, thanks Rich

On 12/08/2022 at 10:49, Bertie McBoatface said:

being straighter and more symmetrical than I can do with a kit!

Thanks Bertie, if you're read my threads, you will know I make a big point about straightness, bananas are for eating...

On 14/08/2022 at 03:51, Bandsaw Steve said:

Superb!

Thanks Steve. the finish on kits is always better as the substrate is perfect to begin with.  With scratch-built wood and metal the challenge is always about getting the level of finish fine and even.  There is no point in a small fine detail area, no matter how good, being let down by another area that is rough or where the same level of detail is lacking.  This is what I enjoy about this type of modelling

On 14/08/2022 at 20:12, Courageous said:

Awesome work Steve.

Cheers Stuart, considering your work, that means a lot 

On 14/08/2022 at 20:50, beefy66 said:

I think you have captured the very hard worked look of these boats to perfection,

Thanks Beefy, it's always tough taking a (nearly)perfect model and and making it dirty.  I know I have a lot to learn in this area.  However, these boats were not clean and new looking, they were battered, stained, rusty and dirty.  I believe trying to simulate that adds realism and so I carry on

20 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Fantastic turn-out

This from the master of finish...

Thanks again for the great comments, I'm glad what I do is of interest. 

While I labour on with the R-boote, I've picked up the two drawings easily findable for the 60ft RAF fast pinnace of WW2.  This has peeked my interest, in particular I love the derrick for recovering crashed aircraft parts, what a great combined model that would make......  If anyone has any further information on these vessels, please forward

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Thanks Steve, if you want to make your own, I'd be very happy to assist 👍

Thank you for the offer, but just watching what you do has been a huge eye opener as to the possibilities. It is unlikely I'll have the time or resources, both physical & mental to replicate your efforts but I do have several 1/72 kits which are far more likely to have some money spent on some 3d bits & etch for them than would have been my intent when I first bought them. Having seen how you put the Denny SGB hull together really opened my eyes to possibilities that don't seem too pie in the sky & the way you built this last MGB hull up, I reckon could be applied to a Dog boat come the day, but before that happens, my recently taken retirement is going to have a lot of house & section oriented stuff to get out of the way before I can clear the decks sufficiently to embark on this kind of build, health & sanity permitting. ;) :)

Steve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

my recently taken retirement

Ah retirement, the main problem I have is where to put all the boats. :doh:

Still, the offer stands if you ever find the time. Btw a Dog boat is on my list, probably next year

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

oh to see a Dog!

The 1/48th scale dog is coming, my collection would not be complete without this iconic type.  My next project is a diorama that I will be starting in February, plans underway but don't tell anyone, its a secret...

I expect the dog boat to follow that, so check back mid-year.  I've not seen that book, will get myself a copy, always nice to feature an actual vessel rather than just a type

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

I expect the dog boat to follow that, so check back mid-year.  I've not seen that book, will get myself a copy, always nice to feature an actual vessel rather than just a type

Cheers

Steve

Gunboat 658 is a classic - IIRC correctly Reynolds was only 19 when he joined her, he was CO in two years.

• Thanks 1