Hawker Hunter F.6/ FGA.9 Differences

Gondor44

I am wanting to turn the Airfix Hunter F.6 into an FGA.9 but do not know what the differences are between the versions other than the Break Parachute and the outer wing pylons. Any assistance whould be helpfull.

Gondor

• Like 1

The main other one was change to the shape of the aileron to allow it to avoid the 230 gallon tanks - basically a curved section was taken out the moveable part (also applied to the F6A) - I think there was also an intake vent on the nose of the FGA9,

I always thought the FGA 9 sat a little 'heavier' (nose up) than the F6

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The cut out to clear the 230 gallon tanks is from the outboard trailing edge of the flaps, not from the ailerons

Agreed, you beat me to it Steve. There were other non-visible mods iirc, but a good Hunter reference should detail these.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you say that you visited the Air Force Museum, I taken it that was in Singapore? 

The Singapore Hunters Hunter were designated as either Mk FGA.74 (ex-RAF Mk 6s rebuilt to FGA 9 standard) FR.74A (ex-RAF rebuilt FR 10s) or a batch of FGA.74B (8 ex-RAF F.4 airframes and 3 ex-RAF FGA 9s rebuilt to a common standard). Their were also two-seater T.75 and T.75A.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

The 230Gallon tank cut out was something I already knew about but that's it :unsure:

Anything else?

Gondor

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there are the ERU (Explosive Releae Unit) fairings above the outboard pylons.  Aerial fit tended to vary a lot and was not Mark-specific so, all rogether now, "check your references!"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there are the ERU (Explosive Releae Unit) fairings above the outboard pylons.  Aerial fit tended to vary a lot and was not Mark-specific so, all rogether now, "check your references!"

That is a good quote, but what would be a good reference?

Gondor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The Lnewrights  softback on the Hunter has plenty of images of both F. 6A and FGA. 9 and makes a good starting point.

I know of the series but I am haveing difficulty finding the book or any other from the series

Gondor

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

but what would be a good reference?

md31259847974.jpg

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=&an=bradley paul&tn=hawker hunter comprehensive guide&n=100121503&cm_sp=mbc-_-ats-_-used

@StephenMG  did the drawings, and maybe able to advise on a reference

this may give you some pointers, 

HTH

• Like 1

Here are a couple I've found useful.  The first includes a complete production listing, including conversions (eg which T7s were conversions and which were new-builds):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0859791238/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And there's plenty of inspiration and useful background in here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1909808032/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I have that book which is why I started this thread because the FGA.9 cockpit is XE901 so all the aditional switches in the cockpit are unique to that aircraft. Will have a look at the link later as it's early morning as I write this.

Gondor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After buying the book "Hawker Hunter, Biography of a thoroughbred by Francis K. Mason" I have the answer that I was looking for.

The changes included the fitting of a tail parachute, increaced cockpit ventilation and refrigeration, 230 gallon drop tank capability and increased pilot's oxygen supply and of course the fitting of the external hard points and ejection system on the outer wings.

So as most of the changes will not be seen I can happily build my 1/72 Mk.9's OOB and I don't have to worry about the cockpit of my Airfix 1/48 kit either :clap2:

Gondor

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 4:55 PM, Cklasse said:

I just visited the Air Force museum and took this picture of a Hunter. I don’t know what’s the type but I took some close up pictures for my future purchase and build of this plane. 
spacer.png

With regard to the aircraft above, I found a who load on the web and find the fit "interesting".

The inboard pylon is unique to Singapore as is the under fuselage bomb rack. Does anyone have further information on them while we are here?

Gondor