Choices ... what to build next - Dornier Do18E Flying Boat

Well this is embarrassing. Despite aeroplanes being my chief interest, I've been absent from these lofty halls ALL year, since the Stranraer was completed at Christmas. I know I tend to build less over the summer, but an enforced downtime (double hernia op) at the end of June, was squandered on an unfulfilling Heller 2CV build. Now I'm confined to barracks yet again with COVID after a work colleague returned from the US with a persistent cough ...  There really is no excuse for not starting another build now.

I've tried to narrow it down. Automotive is definitely out, for the time being. The old Airfix Hawker Fury (1/48), the big Airfix Walrus, a 1/48 Hurricane, all sit on the shelf still. The kits that tickled my fancy are here ...

52278794960_2315b8eace_c.jpg

What to build next? by Mike, on Flickr

You won't be surprised to hear I'm also reading a lot of Great War pilots accounts at the moment. Another distraction from the workbench. (Currently WInged Victory by Yeates)
Starting from the top, the Baby is from the early 90s I think. The injection plastic parts look basic, with little detail and lots of flash. There a a big sheet of PE though, a white metal engine too. I don't think I'm ready to jump into a kit that may need a little work to make it shine.

Next up the Special Hobby Tabloid and Schneider. The detail in the moldings of these kits is much better than the Baby. My plan is to build the Tabloid Scout as the prewar Schneider Race winner, and use the Schneider kit as a guide. I think, despite the lack of floats, the Tabloid is a closer airframe match.

Then the Albatros DIII ProfiPACK. Bought on my last trip to the LMS in Havant, seemed like a bargain for £18. A joy to unbox, detailed plastic, PE, masks, and a colourful choice of five different schemes.
The Dornier was picked up cheap while the Matchbox group build was still going on. I fancy making the airliner version, I also fancy an unchallenging build and this could be perfect ... The Dornier and He115 popped up as potential stable mates while the Stranraer was on the bench.

And finally the Tamiya Mossie. Wow, lots of 'plane in there! A bit daunting for me if I'm honest ...

So, just typing this gubbins out is helping. It's between the Albatros and Dornier I think. Now, if anyone can help with a dose of motivation I'd really appreciate it!

• Like 4

Sopwith Schneider or Tabloid

'ere did you know that Sopwith was taken to law over the name 'Tabloid'.

A pharmaceutical company said that 'Tabloid' sounded too much like 'tablet' and people would get confused ! 

I remember building the Dornier as a kid and it builds up into a nice model without a lot of work. My second choice would be the Albatross as the Schneider , the baby and the tabloid are probably my least favourite Sopwiths, ( I have a Pup, a Salamander, a Mouse, a TF1, a Snark and a Triplane in the collection and a Swallow and a Dolphin on the bench)  think the Snipe or the Dolphin are my favourites. Actually if you’re interested in Sopwiths, ‘Duelling above the trenches’ by Dan Sharp is a very good read.

The mosquito could be fun too.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

If you really feel like you've fallen off the wagon, my outside suggestion would be to build none of them! I'd go grab something small, cheap and quick, like your lovely 72nd scale Zero build. Something you really don't care about. Each to their own, but speaking for myself, the more attached I am to the subject matter, the more I end up stalling, overthinking choices, looking at references, and constantly going backwards to fix things that aren't 'just right'. Add to that, a lot of those choices will require a decent amount of care and work, where you might find joy in mindlessly glueing nicely fitting bits of plastic together for a little bit.

Of course I can well imagine the opposite effect where the model is so uninteresting that there's no drive to build it! But just one additional idea for you to consider.

55 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Bought on my last trip to the LMS in Havant

KB Models? That place is awesome!

• Like 3

Ngantek has a point sometimes a quick off topic mojo restorer can be the thing. Most recently I built the new tool Airfix Firefly and it did the trick they also have a very nice new tool Tiger I  just out that might hit the spot.

• Like 1

A very good point from Ngantek, a simple build could well inspire a more complex one, get you back into it.

I’m in a similar quandary, desperate to start a new build but currently busy with theatre rehearsals, in between holidays, so not getting much modelling time for a few weeks! Can’t decide between a 1/48 Canberra TT.18, Wessex HU5, Phantom FGR2 or another 50’s type to complement the Meteor.

From your selection shown, I’d be tempted to try the Sopwith Tabloid …

I would vote for the Dornier too. I’ve never built a Matchbox kit but the Dornier is an aircraft I would like to build in the future.

Harold

• Like 1

If the Baby is anything like its 1:72 brother, it will definitely need some work. See here to get an idea, but it can come out very nicely.

I'd go for the Albie myself!

Ian

6 hours ago, Ngantek said:

If you really feel like you've fallen off the wagon, my outside suggestion would be to build none of them! I'd go grab something small, cheap and quick, like your lovely 72nd scale Zero build. Something you really don't care about. Each to their own, but speaking for myself, the more attached I am to the subject matter, the more I end up stalling, overthinking choices, looking at references, and constantly going backwards to fix things that aren't 'just right'. Add to that, a lot of those choices will require a decent amount of care and work, where you might find joy in mindlessly glueing nicely fitting bits of plastic together for a little bit.

Of course I can well imagine the opposite effect where the model is so uninteresting that there's no drive to build it! But just one additional idea for you to consider.

KB Models? That place is awesome!

Good point @Ngantek  but I did that with the 2cv build and just wasn't feeling it. I've come to realise I don't like building for buildings sake anymore, I do like something I can get my teeth into. I'm not a prolific builder though, I'm quite happy to plug away for a few months on one build.

Basically the opposite of what I was like as a kid!

Yeah, I spent an hour in KB Models just before Christmas I think, with no shopping list, I just wanted to check the place out. I was blown away by the selection of kits! If felt wrong leaving empty handed too, hence the Albatros 🙂

7 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Well my choices would be between the Mosquito and the Dornier, and since everyone does Mosquitos my vote is for the Do G-1/V-2. Esp intrigued by a civilian build of it.

7 hours ago, billn53 said:

I second the Dornier . . . It’s in my stash and I’d love to see how it goes together, before tackling it myself. 

7 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

A vote for the Dornier from here, too. That would be a fascinating build.

1 hour ago, Sergeant said:

I would vote for the Dornier too. I’ve never built a Matchbox kit but the Dornier is an aircraft I would like to build in the future.

Harold

I think I've decided on the Do18 too. I had so much fun building the Stanraer, that old multi-coloured plastic is a massive nostalgia kick. I've already got a folder of images saved. I think it is a relatively straightforward build as well. (Although there is some rigging!)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Sopwith Schneider or Tabloid

'ere did you know that Sopwith was taken to law over the name 'Tabloid'.

A pharmaceutical company said that 'Tabloid' sounded too much like 'tablet' and people would get confused ! 

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

I remember building the Dornier as a kid and it builds up into a nice model without a lot of work. My second choice would be the Albatross as the Schneider , the baby and the tabloid are probably my least favourite Sopwiths, ( I have a Pup, a Salamander, a Mouse, a TF1, a Snark and a Triplane in the collection and a Swallow and a Dolphin on the bench)  think the Snipe or the Dolphin are my favourites. Actually if you’re interested in Sopwiths, ‘Duelling above the trenches’ by Dan Sharp is a very good read.

The mosquito could be fun too.

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

If the Baby is anything like its 1:72 brother, it will definitely need some work. See here to get an idea, but it can come out very nicely.

I'd go for the Albie myself!

Ian

It's strange, you'd think most enthusiasts would go for the Sopwith Camel, arguably one of the most famous 'planes of the Great War. I'm currently on my third or fourth book in quick succession about pilots exploits flying this machine, yet it leaves me rather cold as a modelling prospect, I can't explain why. My interest is really in the prewar Schneider racer.

Several years ago now, I started a blog with a work colleague, where we posted up long lost letters from a young RFC pilot. The aim was to share knowledge, but also to try and find any descendants. We ultimately did, and returned the letters to the family. (They had surfaced in the rafters of a roof needing work, and something made the roofer think they were interesting enough to keep, rather than skip with the rest of the junk)
Of course, he ended up a Camel pilot, briefly.

http://olivercharlespearson.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

The Tamiya Mosquito is a great build.

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Too late , was gonna say the Mossie, as would fit together very well and will look awesome when done. Good luck with your build.

Chris

My favourite 'plane as a kid, I remember reading Johnny Red in Battle Action comic and his blood red one!
I've got much less war like the older I've got though. I quite like the BOAC scheme ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

My favourite 'plane as a kid, I remember reading Johnny Red in Battle Action comic and his blood red one!
I've got much less war like the older I've got though. I quite like the BOAC scheme ...

Yes awesome plane, I know what you mean about feelings and getting older.  I still like a warbird, but don't do German aircraft myself, the Swastikas and Balkan crosses send a cold chill down my spine, and I don't have a single Axis aircraft in my display or stash, a bit odd I know seeing as i drive a VW.  Strange really,  I have no problem admitting I am strange though🤪😄

Chris

• Like 3

I'm in a similar situation, Mike; I started a 2CV (Revell) but have come up against an interest blackout, then began resurrecting a long-stalled big Hunter build which also been put aside again. Real Life is definitely getting in the way, but I've opened an old ESCI Aermacchi MB326 and slowly started cutting and chopping. It's probably my all-time favourite kit, has a personal nostalgic connection and is a simple canvas onto which I can add as much or as little detail as I like. I'm interested again, rather than bored. 

I'd definitely go with the Dornier for similar reasons, especially if you intend to build it in a civilian scheme. The research will be interesting and Matchbox kits are usually a great basic starting point. The others look like great subjects but I suspect that they are likely to bog you down with their complexities.

Jon

• Like 1

Just as a note, from looking at the WIPs for previous builds, it seems to me that the Dornier 18 is not as easy a build as the average Matchbox kit. Don’t know if that plays into the mojo aspect at all.

Whatever you choose, I’ll be happy to sit on the sidelines and cheer you on!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Some reading up this muggy evening. Still high twenties here on the South Coast at 22.00hrs. I think I'm going to avoid outdoors this weekend as it gets even hotter 🥵   Not that I can do much anyway right now as I'm still testing positive. 😷

Anyway, there are some amazing threads on this forum for this venerable old Matchbox kit. I'm now taking notes on some of the areas that need addressing. @TheBaron has set the bar impossibly high for me, but his build is a joy to follow. @Andrew.S build is stunning too, and more the look I am aiming for. At the moment, I'm steering towards as much OOB as I can get away with. We'll see how much the inaccuracies with the engine gondolas and propellers annoy me ...

I now need to research colour schemes. I love the yellow wings but no idea if D-AANE adopted this scheme. The scheme with the kit is silver undersides, very pale grey hull and slate grey wings.

Link dump

https://www.bare-metal.com/Matchbox-Dornier-Do-18D-2G-1.html

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal6/5301-5400/gal5369-Do-18V-Fernandez/00.shtm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I won't say that the Dornier is fun exactly Mike but it is a whole bunch of interesting and splendidly Gothic shapes to work upon: plus, imagine how all this hot weather will fill your room with the heady aromas of vintage Matchbox plastic... 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mike,

Looking forward to this one, although my vote would've been the Mossie too!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Beware of the Lufthansa decals in the Matchbox kit.  D-AANE "Zyklon" was the single Dornier Do 18F, with an enlarged 26.30m span wing.  The model represents a Do 18E with 23.70m span (32.9cm in 1/72).  If you want to build a Lufthansa Dornier you will have to make your own decals.

Mike 

• Like 1