Xtrakit Hawker Hunter T.66 Final year IAF

Greetings folks,

This is one of the hardest kits I have worked around and the cockpit tube was just a nightmare. The fit is extremely poor and needs a ton of sanding and adjustment. It took me a whole day to fix and fit the cockpit. Can't complain tho there are not many Hawker Trainer out there, the other I know is the matchbox one. The details are nice that I have to say but extremely hard to work around. The resin parts don't fit well so sanding and sanding I have to say. The paint scheme I have chosen is from The Forgotten Hunters of Kalaikunda from BR S576 and T.7 is know as T.66 in IAF service? and fixed on the striking candy stripes back. Took some time to mask it, the color I added a bit of grey on red and yellow paint to get that worn-out effect. After the painting is done, I post shade it, I am beginning to like this post shade more than pre-shade, then a bit of wash with my local paint mix of brown+white and black. Finally managed to complete the model before our independence day, up the rebels hehe. Thank you for watching and hope you like it, Cheers 
PS. It is a Banner bird but don't have the decals now, will add later once I get it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by tomthounaojam
  • Like 41

• tomthounaojam changed the title to Xtrakit Hawker Hunter T.66 Final year IAF

It's really a pity that there is no good kit of the two-seater Hunter. It is such an elegant plane. But you have done very good job on this one. It looks great in the colorful and weathered paint scheme.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Tim!

You’ve certainly whipped her in to shape :). I have a plan - like I do for many - to build one of these. One day! ;)

Keep up the good work!

Martin

Thanks Martin, looking forward to your built, You Indian subject are quite remarkable and delightful to see.
Cheers

17 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Fine looking Hunter, love the weathering and spectacular colour scheme, great work !

Wulfman

Thanks Mate, indeed color is quite striking and couldn't ingore

15 hours ago, woody37 said:

I'd say you definitely won the fight, great finish and great scheme :)

It was a tough fight but won the day I guess, Thank Mate

15 hours ago, Doc72 said:

It's really a pity that there is no good kit of the two-seater Hunter. It is such an elegant plane. But you have done very good job on this one. It looks great in the colorful and weathered paint scheme.

I agree, this xtrakit is quite hard to built however, once it is done she come out nice. Thank you, cheers

14 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Great build, thats a very nice looking Hunter:like:. The stripy rear end certainly draws the eye!

Pete

Thanks Pete, appreciate the kind words, cheers

11 hours ago, Russmeister 101 said:

Natural sunlight is really showing off your attention to detail on the fading and weathering of the paintwork.  Top shelf stuff!!!

Bravo that man!! 👏

Yeah, natural light do sure give the right lighting to highlighting the details, Thank you, cheers!!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 7:55 AM, Billy54 said:

Very striking scheme. Despite all the problems you got an excellent result.

Thanks mate, I fought and won the battle hehe, cheers

On 8/12/2022 at 7:59 AM, stevehnz said:

Hi Tom, didn't miss this one, how could I with a tail like that, blue heck but its bright.  :) 

A lovely job on what I'm lead to believe isn't the best of kits, so well done you. :)

Steve.

Thank you Steve, always appreciate the encouraging words you have said all these times, cheers 

18 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very cool job, looks really good

Thanks Mate
As I wait for the decals couldn't wait myself from paint the nose banner.
banner.jpg
I realized the sq marking is triangle and not diamond shape for this particular one so it was doable and painted it.

• Like 3

Despite the problems, which were abundant, you did a magnificent job and, because it's a two-seater Hunter, I salute you ... twice!

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, Vultures1 said:

Really nice work and well worth the struggle with the kit. The faded camo scheme and stripes are really striking - well done!

Thanks Mate, appreciate the kind words, cheers

9 hours ago, bryanm said:

Great result from what sounds like a less than brilliant kit and a very interesting colour scheme.  It makes the old Matchbox Hunter T7 sound very good!

It is not perfect however this the best I could, glad to know you like it, cheers

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Despite the problems, which were abundant, you did a magnificent job and, because it's a two-seater Hunter, I salute you ... twice!

Thank you Sat69 appreciate the kind words, mate, cheers

• Like 1