Anigrand North American F-108A Rapier, long-range heavy interceptor.

Excellent endeavor as always Herr General. I wish there was a version of this in1/48. I know someone will say Collect-Aire, but the last time I saw one available, I got a nosebleed form the height of the price. I suppose  if I want to finish out my Century series collection I'll have to build one from scratch, or print as it were.  Your build will go along way in making that a  reality.

• Thanks 1

Very nice General. My, it is a big beastie. Seems to have been a bit of fad for seriously big fighters in the fifties. Vacuum tube technology and big engines presumably bring part of the reason. I remember reading an article on the XF103 in an early edition of the quarterly Air Enthusiast magazine in the late seventies/early eighties. That was big as well. 

• Thanks 1

Wow! Now that's a very cool aircraft... had it made into service. Reminds me a little of a bent wing CF-105 Arrow. Very impressive build and interesting back story. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by binbrook87
  • Thanks 1

A lovely rendition of a unique heavy metal interceptor 🏆

I shall try and commit your mods to the memory band. I have had this kit in the stash since it was released and must get around to building it one day.

:cheers:

• Thanks 1

Many thanks chaps, as always your kind comments are very much appreciated. Thank goodness for Anigrand releasing these wonderful designs otherwise they'd be pretty well lost to history. For those brave enough and with deep pockets there's always the 1/48th Collect-Aire beast (if you can find one). With the rate of releases of weird and wonderful aircraft from companies like Avis and MikroMir/AMP who knows, we may well see a mainstream version of the Rapier at some point.

Shame this didn't make it to production, would have been quite a sight displaying at one of the sadly missed Mildenhall Air Days....!! 

Cheers Keith, I agree, it would have made quite a sight and sound at the shows back then....it's climb rate after take off would have been mightily impressive.

I have had this kit in the stash since it was released and must get around to building it one day.

Thanks Ray, you really should have a go at it...not as daunting as it may first appear.

Finally reset my password mate so I can login and comment! You can see the Vigilante resemblance.

About time, we need to see more of your magic.......yep, its obvious a lot of the data went on into the A-5 program.

• Like 1

There have been some fantastic looking lesser known and experimental aircraft over the years.  I'm no expert by any means, but I thought I had a reasonable knowledge of USAF birds from the end of WWII to present day...   

Just goes to show, every day is a school day!  Thanks for the history lesson and introducing me to a really cool looking aircraft.   As others have stated, can definitely see shades of Vigilante in there, and a hint of the wing plan of the venerable F-15 too.

Bravo that man!! 👏

• Thanks 1

As ever, a stunning piece of work General! It has a no-nonsense look about it, but I really like the aesthetic of the F-108.
Whenever I see the cancelled aircraft from the late 50's and early 60's, I see a tanalising glimpse of the road not taken. Aircaft such as the XB-70, F-108, CF-105 and TSR.2 were on the bleeding edge of what could be done with aero design and technology. The powers that be often were looking in the short-term (3-5 years) instead of taking a longer view of the direction of aviation.
It makes me wonder just what would be flying today if politicians' actually allowed those projects to come to fruition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again guys, glad you share my fascination of these exotic what if/might have been/should have beens,

There have been some fantastic looking lesser known and experimental aircraft over the years. 

That's a fact Russ, many countries had under development some weird and wonderful designs some of the more prominent coming from the US, USSR, France and of course old Blighty

It makes me wonder just what would be flying today if politicians' actually allowed those projects to come to fruition.

Completely agree tinners, if politics hadn't factored into these things we could have seen some truly incredible advancements in aviation (admittedly at a high financial cost). Unfortunately that wasn't to be the case. If you want to see some incredible artwork of these concepts, by Joseph Gatial, head over to the Secret Projects site and look for 'shadow on the wall'....fascinating stuff.

Very interesting design and a great job on the model.   Agree it would have been quite a sight to see one of these flying.   Perhaps in formation with an SR-71 and a B-70.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH the XB-70 is the highlight of the visit IMO.

• Thanks 1

I'm very impressed! It's interesting your build includes external fuel tanks. Adds something to the airplane, though for the life of me I can't quite explain what. 5th FIS. One of my favorite ADC squadrons.

• Thanks 1

BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH the XB-70 is the highlight of the visit IMO.

It's on my bucket list, seeing the Valkyrie on film is one thing but to see it in the flesh must be something else. I built a fictitious operational SAC B-70 many years ago (below) so putting the two together in the display cabinet will be 'interesting' (as will finding the space!)

1-P1060093.jpg

It's interesting your build includes external fuel tanks. Adds something to the airplane, though for the life of me I can't quite explain what.

Ha, agreed, They bulk it out a bit, without them, in profile, the Rapier looks a bit 'skinny', rather like a paper dart, (same goes for the Vigilante).

Looked hard; couldn’t find any imperfections.  But didn’t expect to tbh

Thanks Steve, you're too kind...oh, they're there...smoke and mirrors:winkgrin:

Thanks fellas, appreciated.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 4

What a monster. But a fabulous one. Beautiful build as always. I should have had a butchers at your display cabinet when I had the chance!

BTW, I hope things are back to normal now at home? No names, no pack drill eh? schtum! Say Nothing, perhaps he won't notice.

• Haha 1