RAF FLYING KIT 1950

wellzy

The most common suit for Meteor or Sabre pilots (I assume this is the era you're asking about) was a button-up belted overall, which was iirc (I had one briefly as an Air Cadet) a grey colour similar to ocean grey.  Later suits were a lighter grey, until they went green in the early 1970s.  There were a variety of designs, and colours could vary depending on how often they'd been washed or dry cleaned.  As ever, the old modelling mantra of "check your references" applies.

As for headgear, depending on exactly when, headgear could be either a leather helmet and goggles WWII-style, or a cloth inner helmet with earphones and oxygen mask c/w microphone, and an outer "bone dome".  These were a silver colour as standard, but units were known to repaint them.

Edited by MikeC

My father was a 50's Meteor pilot. Early days wore a silver/grey flying suit and cold weather jacket with leather flying helmet and goggles.  Late 50s still silver/'grey flying suit but silver bonedome with black surround and visor. Think the blue/grey came into use in the early 60's.

• Like 1