Type 22 Frigate in 1:600? HMS Broadsword Op Corporate Falklands War 1982

Johnson

Gidday @Johnson, my forte is Airfix WW2 vintage ships, although I'm currently converting a Devonshire kit to HMS Glamorgan. I don't know of any Type 22 frigate kits, Airfix does a type 21 as you probably know. Not much help, I know.

How are you at kit bashing and scratch building? If you can get hold of an Airfix Devonshire kit it might be possible, although HMS Broadsword was 4 feet narrower (2mm in 1/600) and 90 feet shorter. I imagine it would be a lot of work, for starters taking a great chunk out of the model's length. Although my knowledge is limited I don't know of any alternative in 1/600 scale. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Nothing in 1/600, IIRC White Ensign Models did a 1/700 kit of the Batch 1 ships, this was re-released by Atlantic Models for a while, but is no longer avaiable and Atlantic passed a lot of the 1/700 range over to Starling Models

Orange Hobby also did a Batch 3 but thats not really representative of the Falklands ships.

Atlantic Models do kits of Batch 1, 2 & 3 in 1/350, they are truly excellent kits.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Jeff @ArnoldAmbrose and Ant @AntPhillips. I didn't think there was one. I'm sure 1:350 is much better than 1:600 (a dying scale some say), but I'm quite attached to the smaller scale. I'm pretty sure my scratch building isn't good enough. Those Atlantic Models kits do look excellent however, I may have to widen my scope!

Cheers,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Many thanks Jeff @ArnoldAmbrose and Ant @AntPhillips. I didn't think there was one. I'm sure 1:350 is much better than 1:600 (a dying scale some say), but I'm quite attached to the smaller scale. I'm pretty sure my scratch building isn't good enough. Those Atlantic Models kits do look excellent however, I may have to widen my scope!

Cheers,

Hi @Johnson,

I also have a small fleet of 1/600 kits awaiting me finding the time for them, I even had one of the long OOP and extremely hard to find now, WEM 1/600 Type 42 kits (apparently sales were very poor so WEM never expanded the range 😟) but I bit the bullet and tried a 1/350 kit a few years ago (an Airfix Trafalgar SSN), I haven't looked back and have now accumulated a small flotilla of them, mostly Airfix, Trumpeter and Atlantic Models. I haven't given up on 1/600 just cleared out a few duplicates (and the WEM Exeter) as I appreciate the extra level of detail 1/350 allows. 

BTW Starling Models have just today announced a detail set of 3D printed parts to improve the Airfix County Class, pics are on their FB page, it looks impressive.

There are also some people on Shapeways that offer 3D printed  upgrade parts for the Airfix range, the one that springs to mind is Bogey's Bits.

Peter at Atlantic has hinted at doing some 1/600 kits if there's a demand but based on the WEM Type 42 sales (he should know as he designed the kit for WEM) I really think it's unlikely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Johnson said:

1:600 (a dying scale some say), but I'm quite attached to the smaller scale.

Gidday again, yeah the scale is quite limiting in range but I like it too. I've done over 40 now and have quite a few still in the stash for conversions. Although I've got some 1/700s and a few 1/350s in the stash I plan to stay with 1/600 as long as I can. Sorry I can't help you with HMS Broadsword though. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

You can buy a 3D printed 1/600 waterline model of HMS Broadsword off Shapeways Marketplace. Not cheap though, especially if you want it printed in the best material.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/2KRER4KWT/1-600-type-22-batch-1-hms-broadsword?optionId=61517353&li=marketplace

I don't think a scratch build would be too bad, especially if you were happy with a waterline model. I did a largely scratch built B3 in  1/1250 - The basic shapes are fairly simple. I bet you could get 3D prints of the Sea Wolf launchers and directors and the Exocet launch canisters, which would otherwise be the most difficult parts. Maybe re-purpose the photo-etch from the WEM Type 42 set?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Starling Models have just today announced a detail set of 3D printed parts to improve the Airfix County Class, pics are on their FB page, it looks impressive.

They certainly are Ant! The Wessex looks amazing.

5 hours ago, Midland1965 said:

HMS Broadsword off Shapeways Marketplace. Not cheap though

Bit beyond my price range. But the effort involved in production is probably costly too.

5 hours ago, Midland1965 said:

I don't think a scratch build would be too bad, especially if you were happy with a waterline model. I did a largely scratch built B3 in  1/1250 - The basic shapes are fairly simple. I bet you could get 3D prints of the Sea Wolf launchers and directors and the Exocet launch canisters, which would otherwise be the most difficult parts. Maybe re-purpose the photo-etch from the WEM Type 42 set?

I think that's good advice, thanks. But I need to get my hand in on some 1:600 stuff first so I've decided to leave Broadsword for now and do something slightly simpler (although maybe not...). HMS Fearless, a kit I made a long, long time ago. I've bought the AM set and hope I can update her for Op Corporate.