Tiran 5Sh (kitbash)

I finally called this Tiran 5Sh done that I have a thread about in WIP.

A Tiran tank is a Soviet T tank that was captured by the Israelis and then 'Tiranized', this included swapping out machine guns, radios ect, Breaking up the tanks silhouette by adding large storage bins and in some variants swapping out the main gun for an L7/M68 gun (giving the Sh or Sharir designation). Using this battlefield salvage and refitting them was a lot cheaper for Israel than buying additional M60s or Centurions at the time.

A Tiran 4 was a T-54, Tiran 5 is a T-55 and a Tiran 6 was a T-62.

This kitbash contains T-54 and T-55 parts from the Ammo, PST, Revel. Trumpeter, Italeri and Ace kits, some scratch built bits and an aftermarket barrel, although I tried to keep the majority of it plastic after being a little disappointed by some of the resin Tiran conversion kits available.

PXL_20220809_220031433.jpg

PXL_20220809_220100676.jpg

PXL_20220809_220115841.jpg

PXL_20220809_220130451.jpg

PXL_20220809_220141858.jpg

PXL_20220809_220203896.jpg

PXL_20220809_220215061.jpg

PXL_20220809_220250943.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Calum

• Like 23

Terrific build. As has been said, the painting and weathering is first class. As is the clutter of stowage around the vehicle.

Ever tried drilling 1/72 mg muzzles?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Very nice that. Well painted and great detailing with the stowage adding that bit extra. Impressive work on such a small scale.👏.

Thanks Stef for the kind words

5 hours ago, StuartH said:

Fantastic work. Love the detailing and very well painted & weathered 👏

Thanks Stuart

4 hours ago, Yg Models said:

nice sand tone Tiran 5Sh (T-55)😊

Thanks Yg, the base colour was IDF sand grey 73 from Vallejo model air

22 minutes ago, echen said:

Terrific build. As has been said, the painting and weathering is first class. As is the clutter of stowage around the vehicle.

Ever tried drilling 1/72 mg muzzles?

Thanks Echen.

Drilling out 1/72 mg muzzles? :wonder: Any tips, I've actually been meaning to get some syringe needles which I understand can work well for this kinda thing. I use PCB drill bits a lot but wouldnt fancy them for that kind of thing (I also break a lot of PCB drill bits). There is I'm sure metal barrels available for Browning's in .30 and .50 cal.

I think that drilling 1/72 mg barrels is only feasible if they're a little over scale. The Revell Tiger I AA defence mg barrels that I have look good scale-wise but are barely the diameter of a pin. I find a tiny centre punch or a fine pointed modelling knife can make a starter hole the same as for larger calibre weapons. A really fine drill bit then does the rest so long as the mg barrel is gripped tightly as close to the muzzle as possible. (otherwise, at the very best you get an mg for shooting round corners!)

So far I've only attempted my T-80BV turret mounted HMG flash supressor.

• Like 1