The Eldorod

This model is really great, but it represents a great controversy about the car it depicts and about the questionable ethics of some of Chip Foose's actions. Builders like him reach a peak, where their legendary status starts to get to their heads and then egos take over rational. Chip Foose seems to be no exception. Altho he is undeniably an extremely talented person who has definitely left a huge mark on the custom auto industry, he lays claim to some cars as his and collects  dividends, when actually they are not his to claim. This car is one of these cars, which was build by the late Boyd Coddington. At the time Chip Foose was an up and coming designer employed by Boyd who sketched this Caddy for Boyd under his direction. He learned pretty much everything he knows about custom car building from Boyd and the reality is that, if he didn't work for Boyd, he may have ended up designing family sedans for Chrysler or Toyota. So, after Boyd's passing, to repaint the car, give it a new set of wheels and call it all his own and then be the sole receiver of the Revell contract is kinda low in my book. 

Anywhoooooo.......

The model is built 100% box stock, save for some bare metal foil. The paint is PPG automotive Jaguar racing green metallic topped off with 2K clear. The chassis was painted with Pactra RC paint. Interior is a two tone SEM paint. 

pgClvN.jpg
POIJQo.jpg
EUFH6P.jpg
N1Y2Oe.jpg
3biFrb.jpg
3ev2es.jpg
1x1X4t.jpg
BgCNmv.jpg
YXKQYJ.jpg
ugaK6u.jpg

• Like 25

A gorgeous looking model of a fabulous looking car. The paint looks miles deep.

Years ago I used to watch the Boyd Coddington programmes and really enjoyed them. They produced some beautiful vehicles.

Except that is, for the squabbling and arguments that occurred from time to time. I really didn't care for that side.

I suspect they were engineered to make it more interesting.

The death of Boyd was a very sad loss. Former team members should have claimed part, but not all of the glory.

I also enjoyed the Chip Foose builds when those programmes were shown. Again, some really beautiful vehicles were built.

Not too much nonsense was shown, which was a good thing. I always wondered who financed the programmes though.

There have been similar programmes since which I've also enjoyed. Kindig, Fast & Loud etc. 

Producers should turn down the emotions and lets just build the beauty!

• Like 2

Beautiful execution Lucky on this custom (a ‘48 - ‘49 Caddie?). My favorite features are the color combination and all that impeccable detail work within the interior. Wish I could paint shiny that good! Well done Sir!

So disappointing to hear about Foose taking credit for Boyd’s work, really unnecessary, both very talented guys with more than enough creativity and accomplishments to go around. I also occasionally enjoy these “welding reality shows”and agree that they really don’t need all that phony drama to be entertaining.

I would love to see Revell/ AMTR2/ Moebius/ Galaxie/ anyone produce an accurate 1/25 kit of a ‘49 Caddie Series 62 fastback coupe.  Like Revell’s ‘50 Olds 88, I’d buy a bunch!

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Punct.

On 09/08/2022 at 23:44, nearsightedjohn said:

Beautiful execution Lucky on this custom (a ‘48 - ‘49 Caddie?). My favorite features are the color combination and all that impeccable detail work within the interior. Wish I could paint shiny that good! Well done Sir!

So disappointing to hear about Foose taking credit for Boyd’s work, really unnecessary, both very talented guys with more than enough creativity and accomplishments to go around. I also occasionally enjoy these “welding reality shows”and agree that they really don’t need all that phony drama to be entertaining.

I would love to see Revell/ AMTR2/ Moebius/ Galaxie/ anyone produce an accurate 1/25 kit of a ‘49 Caddie Series 62 fastback coupe.  Like Revell’s ‘50 Olds 88, I’d buy a bunch!

Yes indeed, lovely clean build and excellent paint.  🏆

I'm with you on preferring to see a stock one though... I have no use for modern suspension upgrades, 20" wheels or cup holders.  🤨

• Like 1

Beautifully built model, sumptuous paintwork and interior.  Apart from the wonderfully deep paint finish I also love the two-tone upholstery.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:03 AM, JeroenS said:

I have no idea who all these people are but I love your model 🙂 .... excellent paint job sir. 

I saw one of Chip Foose's shows on TV a few years back completely by accident. If I hadn't, I'd have no clue who or what a Chip Foose was either 😆

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Simply beautiful, look at that interior 😍 

I’m not into hot rods at all, but I clearly remember sitting in front of the TV watching Chip Foose back home in Denmark (likely 10 years after the same show had been on in the US). They did build some very nice cars 👍 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Simply beautiful, look at that interior 😍 

I’m not into hot rods at all, but I clearly remember sitting in front of the TV watching Chip Foose back home in Denmark (likely 10 years after the same show had been on in the US). They did build some very nice cars 👍 

I was watching an update he did of an e-type Jaguar. Exquisite work and attention to detail and a really keen eye for how each component fits into the big picture. It's not just about how good each detail looks but how well it fits in with the whole car.

• Like 1