Compliment

Don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, but here we go.

Just want to compliment the members of this forum and the administrators with this website. I've been here around for probably a year now and have read a lot posts. What I have seen is the best and friendliest site for modelling existing.

I feel safe enough to post my build models (will do that in the next month or so) without being afraid somebody telling me off that something is not correct and that I should do better (where did I get the nerves to post this cr*p model is the underlying message I got). Nothing but respect, positive feedback and advice, banter and humour. I just love it.

Thank you, and carry on like this!

• Like 44
  • Thanks 5

Nice comment Fred. 👍

Looking forward to seeing some of your models so we can tell you something is not correct.. 😄

Best wishes,

Ian

• Haha 2

Fred, that's precisely the reason I joined this community.  They are always encouraging, any criticisms are always couched in the most helpful and positive terms, as a result of which I've not only had the nerve to display some of my comparatively modest efforts but learned a lot from the comments and advice received.  Dogsbody's right too - some of my efforts result in some VERY quiet periods...  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you very much, nice to see that a lot of people experience the same thing.

I need to find a site where I can store my pictures so I can place them here.. 

22 hours ago, dogsbody said:

We might mention any major mistakes, if we see them, but we will do it in the most polite way possible. Otherwise, we'll be quiet.

Chris

Thank you Chris, I'm sure that will be okay.

A nice comment is always welcome, speaking for the Mods here :yes: We don't want any sycophancy, just genuine good natured folks that have a clue how to carry on a conversation without making other people want to throttle you. :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mike said:

A nice comment is always welcome, speaking for the Mods here :yes: We don't want any sycophancy, just genuine good natured folks that have a clue how to carry on a conversation without making other people want to throttle you. :D

exactly what I need and what makes this hobby great.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Fred piket said:

Thank you very much, nice to see that a lot of people experience the same thing.

I can recommend Imgur.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Fred piket said:

Gidday Fred, another possibility is Flikr. You get 1000 photos stored for free. I'm currently using them and have no complaints. I've no doubt there are other photo hosting sites equally as user-friendly too, such as those mentioned above. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I have been on a few groups on Facebook and a few others but found them wanting, or I just didnt fit there; Facebook is not the best place really because there are new posts going in all the time and your post might fall down the rankings rather quickly, I also found them to be a bit too frank and even insulting IF they answer at all.

Britmodeller is the very best place for modellers to be, I can say that with 100% confidence! 

If you ask for frank answers and critique then it will be given, but most like to show their Work In Progress and how they do things, and then once the model is finished, post the results in the Ready For Inspection thread, you can link up your WIP and your RFI posts too, with tags and it can give a very informative 'story' about the building of that model.

I dont tend to criticise other peoples models; simply because I would NOT like to be told that my model is 'Rubbish', so I dont do that to others!:surprised: I just look at how it was built and admire the finish of the model, how real it looks etc, I even get ideas and inspiration of how certain things can be done while I work on a model of my own.:idea:

You will quickly feel at home here and the members are friendly, knowledgable and very helpful, I have asked a good few questions and been given excellent replies, very helpful!  Relax, enjoy yourself and welcome to Britmodeller!:welcome:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/08/2022 at 23:45, Mike said:

just genuine good natured folks that have a clue how to carry on a conversation without making other people want to throttle you. :D

Well, that’s something for me to aim for I guess… 🙄

• Haha 6

To be honest, allowing only posivite feedback and remaining silent instead of writing criticism is not so good. You can improve modelling skills a lot by analyzing negative feedback. I like about other forums, for example the Czech modelforum, that people write honest opinions.

Here, it is about being polite all the way, in both build comments and also product reviews. It is a bit misleading, but good for keeping good morale and motivation up all the way I suppose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

To be honest, allowing only posivite feedback and remaining silent instead of writing criticism is not so good. You can improve modelling skills a lot by analyzing negative feedback. I like about other forums, for example the Czech modelforum, that people write honest opinions.

It is possible to criticise a model build in a very polite way

One must always be careful though as so many people quickly take offence

I find a lot of people on the internet do not fully read through what others have written and they jump straight to being offended

On my leatherwork forum we have two sort of 'galleries'.

One is just to show off your latest work. No criticism is really allowed there

The second 'gallery' is where you can put your latest work and ask for critique, and that's where we let loose with both barrels of an 18" gun

You can put your work in either gallery or both, its up to you. But expect some honest hitting in the 'Critique my work'  gallery

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with imagebox, I just tried to copy image address & pasted to this reply but it just stayed as a link, so not sure how to imbed it so it showed automatically from IB. I will say though your images are very big for using on here, somewhere between 1000 & 1200 pixels seems to work out well & load quicker on slower connections, not everyone has lightning fast broadband, some still have to endure dial up or cellular data & big images give that a thrashing. Having said all that, your Lanc looks really nice, hope you can figure it soon, so its easier to enjoy. :)

pyOK7cPR_o.jpg

6jzvANVT_o.jpg

Steve.

@Fred piket Damn, it seems to work now, that was with right click on the image in IB, copy image address & paste here. Go for it. Here is the other one I tried.

• Like 2

You might get constructive comment's Fred but not the kind of criticism that would offend or put you off,we're all at different levels here from the "It's got

to be right" to the "if it looks right it is right" school of thought so enjoy!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

You might get constructive comment's Fred but not the kind of criticism that would offend or put you off,we're all at different levels here from the "It's got

to be right" to the "if it looks right it is right" school of thought so enjoy!

Hi Stevej60,

Constructive comments are always welcome. I hope somebody can help me with weathering and panellines and I hope somebody has got the courage to tell me how to do better..😄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fred piket said:

Constructive comments are always welcome. I hope somebody can help me with weathering and panellines and I hope somebody has got the courage to tell me how to do better.

You certainly will find help Fred but remember every Aircraft was once brand new some like to model them that way some like varying state's of weathering

whatever you are comfortable with.

Hi Fred @Fred piket. Picking up on your comments about BM member’s contributions and I would say that, without doubt, it hits the right balance. Britmodeller is populated by members of all skill levels, all ages, all interests. It is also perfectly gender balanced. It is a community of like-minded individuals that has a wonderfully global reach. It offers a showcase for those who wish to display their models - and who doesn’t! - as well as who want to contribute their skills to the ever growing gathering of experience and knowledge. What is doesn’t do is talk down to you as some other forums do. It collectively offers support, guidance, expertise and, importantly, friendship. We all like different methods, different styles, different subject matters, and that is all to be found here. My choice is BM for all these reasons. I hope it will be your choice too.

Martin

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

I use Postimage, I did use Flikr but suddenly one day it lost every single one of my images/pictures, and so every post I'd put pictures in had no pictures! I had to start all over again with every picture on Postimage and then edit them into my posts; luckily this happened in another group, and not here so I learned from it.

I use Flickr and really like it. I do have a subscription because I like to post a lot of pictures. It suits me, but comes at a cost. Thankfully no posting issues thus far. 

As to complimenting BM. I agree. A friendly global club scene catering for multiple subjects and skill levels.  I have more interest in seeing the joy in scale modelling from all skills, age, experience, subject, budget, available time commitment and specific interest level rather than a harsh build critique and passionate argument over such things as competition rules or gloss coats. I come here to relax. BM and its community delivers. If you want to take your skills to another level, there is plenty you can find here. A simple question gets a prompt and friendly answer and if the answer is not available, it soon gets directed to where you can possibly find it. WIP's and GB's are great for getting this advice on the go. Outside of BM, of course, there are other sites, social media pages, YT channels etc. etc you can also participate in depending on what floats your boat.

I also like the fact that the huge BM historical database is readily accessible using your favourite search engine and by throwing in the word Britmodeller. Also, there is no algorithm determining what I see.

Ray