Primer decisions

Marklo

At the moment I use Grey Ultimate primer which is as I understand it repackaged Stynylrez. Both of which are  now either very expensive or hard to get or both. So a question to the forum. What’s the best primer ( other than those two) to use?

Halfords white or grey depending on the colour scheme.  This info may not be much use on the lower left hand side of the Irish Sea though!

I've occasionally tried other automotive primers but to date they haven’t had as good nozzles as Halfords cans so tend to hose it on somewhat.

I was given several jars of Vallejo polyurethane primer and I could see why they were free as it sprayed horribly and gummed up the airbrush something chronic.  And barely bonded with the models.  To be fair it brushes out nicely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Halfords white or grey depending on the colour scheme.

Like most British multiples we have several halfords here, there are several in the bigger towns. 

My preference would be for an aqueous acrylic and not a rattle can ( which is why I like the Ultimate primer)

For all primers, it is important to have a clean surface and a drying time at an average temperature. (Don't leave it out in the sun to dry.) And use several thin layers. You can get a better result with a cheaper primer too.

Sometimes I use a paint can (Citadel) but I recommend using the airbrush primers (Vallejo Surface Primer or Green Stuff World). Depending on the colour, you can use other brands and it is important to set the pressure and dilution.

I made some test with the black primers (gloss and matt) I use and the colour choice. The shade of the paint will be different on different colours of primer. For me, it was interesting to see the difference between a glossy varnish on a matt primer vs. a glossy primer. This might be interesting for others?

• Thanks 1

On 09/08/2022 at 13:37, dromia said:

Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned 50/50 with Mr Leveling thinner.

A second one for Mr Hobby primers. A few colours and grades available and work very well at these mixing rates.👍

They also do aqueous versions but I haven't used them to give an honest appraisal.

• Like 1

Well I decide to try grey Green Stuff World primer and as a backup also ordered some Stynylrez in olive green, the only useable shade I could get at a reasonable price.

Hopefully one or both will do the trick. Considering I’ve gotten about three years out of my bottle of Ultimate primer that should keep me going for a while. 

Thanks for all the input. Well appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 10:07 PM, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Third vote for Mr Surfacer 1500 & Mr Levelling Thinners. I usually go about 60/40 Thinners:Paint personally

Another vote for Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 and Mr Color Levelling Thinner. Ratio around the 60 thinners : 40 paint (Iwata HP-CS 0.3 needle 15-18 psi).  I keep some premix I just keep adding to in an old MRP bottle. As an aside, I did use the MRP undercoat when I could not get the Gunze product. It was OK. I found the Gunze to be finer and had better self-levelling properties with my technique. 

MCLT and Surfacer

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’m assuming it’s not aqueas? I’m exclusively using acrylics.

Not tried that as yet, but believe it can be thinned with MLT like their Mr Hobby paints so doubt I'd use it as no point for me.

If you use it don't try thinning it with water, as the Mr Hobby paint although they say acrylic water won't work with them 

10 hours ago, Casey said:

How about Vallejo primer availability in your area?

Nothing is available in my area :) I get a very limited range of kits and products from the local toy shop and Art and hobby. I either have over an hours drive up to Dublin or more likely buy stuff off the web.

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

This had became my main source of things since the plague hit...

Actually since ( dare I say it) Brexit a lot of stuff on the web has gotten more expensive than bricks and mortar stores so if I can get things locally or on my semi annual pilgrimages to Dublin and the few real model shops left in the country  I do :) 

Edited by Marklo

7-EC36-DED-2-BC3-42-A0-9-D41-CCACC093-DF

I had bought the green stuff world primer based mostly on price I might add.

BCC2-B805-9-E8-A-4241-8480-C1-FCE498845-

Here’s my first outing with it, I probably mixed it Dow a bit thin but once I got it spraying it went on well and the finish line so good.