Egyptian Badgers in Nile camouflage

Bjorn

I just started the old Trumpeter Tu-16 Badger, building it in Egyptian colours. However, it seems difficult to find the right colours for the Nile camouflage. I have seen builds with sand/dark green/gray as well as sand/brown/light green (for instance in the Airfix Model World build of the 1/144 Badger). The few photos I have found could be interpreted in both ways, although my guess is that the first alternative seems a little more likely. But is there anyone that could give me more information on this?

And if it is  dark green, ist more something like NATO green or more like Olive Drab? I know Egyptian aircraft were painted in very different ways, even with car paint, so I am not looking for the exact colour match. But I guess there must have been at least some kind of standard?

This one looks sand/grey/dark green, almost olive drab:

full?d=1521487161

This one looks even more olive drab-ish:

EV-V1cnXsAAGf0-?format=png&name=small

Here it looks more like sand/brown/light green:

1656253_576079229148582_191332414_n.jpg?

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

I do not think that Egypt at the times of Nasser used western colours.Could it be that they used the colours of their military vehicles?

Saluti

Giampiero

Most likely. But I am not looking for an exact colour match, I don't think that it is possible. I just want to know if the camouflage was sand/green/grey or sand/brown/light green. If someone could answer that, that would be enough for me.

The darker colour was a dark olive drab, then was a medium grey green and of course the base was a yellow sand

According to Tom Cooper's Arab MiGs series of books, the "Nile Valley" camouflage used colours based on the British BS.381c standard, in particular the olive drab was 298, the grey-green was 283 and the sand was 388.

Wether these were the exact colours or not, the sure are in the right ballpark compared to pictures of newly painted aircraft... what effect the North African sun had over time on the finish is a different story

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The darker colour was a dark olive drab, then was a medium grey green and of course the base was a yellow sand

According to Tom Cooper's Arab MiGs series of books, the "Nile Valley" camouflage used colours based on the British BS.381c standard, in particular the olive drab was 298, the grey-green was 283 and the sand was 388.

Wether these were the exact colours or not, the sure are in the right ballpark compared to pictures of newly painted aircraft... what effect the North African sun had over time on the finish is a different story

Exactly that kind of answer that I was looking for! Or actually, even better! Thanks! 

As Giorgio already stated   the typical 3-tone Nile Valley camo is sand with lighter green-grey  and dark brown/ drab.

That is also what your photos seem to show.

Of gourmet there were MiG-17, MiG-21 and Su-7/17/20 with different shades and variations. Not on the few Badgers it seems, apart from fading and lighting :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

looks like the bomb bay doors open to me.

Indeed!  With the windows and bomb bay doors open, plus the blown-sand crazing of the nose glazing, I'd say this is a grounded aircraft.  It's actually in worse condition than the guys' car.  BTW, why is the car's boot (trunk) flapping open?  Did they sneak a modeler onto the flight line?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Did they sneak a modeler onto the flight line?

Hopefully, he/she’s on the wing somewhere, trying to match the ‘plane’s colours with a bunch of FS, RAL and BS colour fans…

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Peugeot build quality. the desert sun is merciless. Paint can fade within months. Sand abrasion doesn't help.

Just look at those shut lines! Smaller gaps in the Pyramids.

Desert sun, that's where I went wrong, sun and sand, no wonder I faded.

• Haha 2

The posturing of those individuals also looks suspect. The fellow on the right looks like is hiding a gun under his jacket, while the guy next to him is concealing his face like a CIA agent trying to stay incognito. Perhaps he was the one riding in the trunk.🤣

• Haha 2