F-101B Voodoo 60th FIS - Revell 1/72

Dave_R

Hi All,

I've managed to obtain a pre-owned Revell Voodoo.  It's one of the original production run of this kit, so it's a nice and crisp molding and it's in silver plastic, a thing I haven't seen in decades.  The downside is that the decals appear to be getting brittle - we'll see.

AVvXsEhCXKnkeU8-TYiBOe0Ab9ahA0l0I5ekq4m0

AVvXsEhcd4ByWAcSAudqmggQljs_UgqpGeeXW4v5

AVvXsEiPxf7yKlX8XK7SAuAhLqUT2lO9lJgHpNXa

AVvXsEikSinFvsimZGG-Vorx79-LMnFwpOjzuSHX

Dave.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Dave_R said:

Hi All,

I've managed to obtain a pre-owned Revell Voodoo.  It's one of the original production run of this kit, so it's a nice and crisp molding and it's in silver plastic, a thing I haven't seen in decades.  The downside is that the decals appear to be getting brittle - we'll see.

AVvXsEhCXKnkeU8-TYiBOe0Ab9ahA0l0I5ekq4m0

AVvXsEhcd4ByWAcSAudqmggQljs_UgqpGeeXW4v5

AVvXsEiPxf7yKlX8XK7SAuAhLqUT2lO9lJgHpNXa

AVvXsEikSinFvsimZGG-Vorx79-LMnFwpOjzuSHX

Dave.

Hello Dave if you have any decal fixative or clear coat I recommend giving those a coat. I had the follow on boxing of this kit with just the upper set of markings (blue bird/lightning bolts). Mine shattered the minute they got wet. I was lucky as I also have the most recent boxing and switched to the Oregon ANG. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Dave if you have any decal fixative or clear coat I recommend giving those a coat. I had the follow on boxing of this kit with just the upper set of markings (blue bird/lightning bolts). Mine shattered the minute they got wet. I was lucky as I also have the most recent boxing and switched to the Oregon ANG. 

I think I'm going to try some experiments using the Canadian decals first.  The paper of the instruction sheet was very yellowed and dry, I've got a nasty feeling that the box was keep in someone's hot attic for 30 odd years. (yes, it does get hot in the south of England, 28C at the moment in London - sorry I don't do Fahrenheit - American weirdos 🙂).

Dave.  🇺🇦

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave_R said:

yes, it does get hot in the south of England, 28C at the moment in London - sorry I don't do Fahrenheit - American weirdos 🙂).

Correct sir we are weirdo’s though personally not fluent in metric I can understand it. If needed I can do some rough calculations in the on board computer when required. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Correct sir we are weirdo’s though personally not fluent in metric I can understand it. If needed I can do some rough calculations in the on board computer when required. 

Well to be honest the UK isn't fully metric.  I'm just about old enough to remember the pre-metric days and I do not miss them, Fahrenheit is just nuts though.

Dave. 🇺🇦

• Like 1

There are several photo’s of the 60th in NMF with the markings here. I toyed with it myself but it would require a few modifications to the kit. Forward lower intake is NACA style, no slime lights and in some cases the IR tracker on top of the nose isn't installed yet. Ive got one photo showing two birds with different anti glare one olive and one black. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I haven't had a lot of time to post updates, so here's a catch up of photos.

Cockpit.

AVvXsEhZrAYFuB7XvbynDb_kjGpCbmas6oH3Ceqw

AVvXsEgjJiwMdBYrH1WX4W7kkhEkG2PYCHoPOxnQ

Ready for primer.

AVvXsEgruU85ZG9V-iIaqNkVBgeBO5B4fO6kFDot

And primed, with little more filler and sanding.

AVvXsEhsZnGneeLzLAnF5zgQ3hGdu97vYnRljT-p

AVvXsEgVx42TtX_bZbqvp4vGlZYJiddNZw0Xft_B

It's generally quite an easy build apart from the rotary missile pallet thingy, although the silver plastic seems harder to glue using Tamiya glue than I would normally expect.

Dave.  🇺🇦

• Like 4