Tamiya Ligler JS11 1/20

I recently completed and posted the Tamiya McLaren M23 build and because it went so smoothly and was so much fun, I immediately followed it with this one - the Cosworth powered Ligier JS11 from '79.  Built pretty much OOB except for MFH seat harness, fuel lines and intake screens.  I airbrushed Zero base paint Ligier Blue and base white and clear coated over the base and decals with Mr Color UV Cut clear gloss lacquer.  I replaced the yellowed kit decals with a set from Indycals and used the Indycal Goodyear tire decals over the original issue kit tires with the embossed lettering which worked out better than I anticipated (although I still prefer the un-embossed tires).  I generally do not care for kit chromed parts but I used the front and rear wings, radiator deflector parts and the wheels as plated by Tamiya and I think they really pop against the blue and white. These old Tamiya F1 kits are a joy to assemble and still look great IMO, despite the old tooling.

One of the more colorful F1 cars from back in the day, hope you like it! Cheers, John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 27

I love this car!

Had this kit way back in the day.

I have been looking around for a long time to find one, but when they do turn up, the price is astronomical!

Cheers,

Alan.

Thank you gents! I agree with you Kiseca about all the open areas around the engine disrupting the ground effect benefits. The other thing on this model that surprised me was the lack of any additional connection rods between the rear suspension uprights and the body like most other monocoque F1 designs of the period. Is this model accurate in that the entire rear suspension and wheels/ tires are entirely connected/ supported by the transmission only? If true, this must be the most “monocoque” of any race car I’ve ever seen!

1 hour ago, kiseca said:

That's a lovely looking build. Surprised how effective those venturi tunnels are with all the open bodywork around the engine and exhaust, but the car seemed competitive enough.

It was the car to beat at the beginning of '79 winning 3 of the first 5 races.

20 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

I recently completed and posted the Tamiya McLaren M23 build and because it went so smoothly and was so much fun, I immediately followed it with this one - the Cosworth powered Ligier JS11 from '79.  Built pretty much OOB except for MFH seat harness, fuel lines and intake screens.  I airbrushed Zero base paint Ligier Blue and base white and clear coated over the base and decals with Mr Color UV Cut clear gloss lacquer.  I replaced the yellowed kit decals with a set from Indycals and used the Indycal Goodyear tire decals over the original issue kit tires with the embossed lettering which worked out better than I anticipated (although I still prefer the un-embossed tires).  I generally do not care for kit chromed parts but I used the front and rear wings, radiator deflector parts and the wheels as plated by Tamiya and I think they really pop against the blue and white. These old Tamiya F1 kits are a joy to assemble and still look great IMO, despite the old tooling.

One of the more colorful F1 cars from back in the day, hope you like it! Cheers, John

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Beautiful build of a beautiful blue racer.

4 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

The other thing on this model that surprised me was the lack of any additional connection rods between the rear suspension uprights and the body like most other monocoque F1 designs of the period. Is this model accurate in that the entire rear suspension and wheels/ tires are entirely connected/ supported by the transmission only? If true, this must be the most “monocoque” of any race car I’ve ever seen!

Yes, it is correct, Lotus 79 (1978) and Williams FW07 (1979) were the same in this respect and by the early 80's all F1 cars had adopted this style.

M.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...