Canadair CT114 Tutor

Courageous

With my entry in the F-5 STGB done and the two F.4 Sabres being titivated before priming, thought I'd smack this Hobbycraft kit of the CT 114 into the GB before starting another Sabre.

20220808-190202.jpg

20220808-190340.jpg

As far as I'm aware, this is the only injection kit of a Tutor and 30+ years old. The plastic doesn't look too bad although the interior is a little sparse considering the size of the canopy that is a little thick but not overly so. Will let you know about the decals.

Stuart

• Like 6

And off we go...

20220809-094529.jpg

Step 1 is the cockpit, very basic.

20220809-112957.jpg

Belts made from tape were added and a small addition added to the central forward console. No interior paint details, so the 'net is your source.

20220809-114805.jpg

Cockpit bits added tub and tub glued into fuselage half.

20220809-115349.jpg

The fuselage halves are joined, tub is 'as snug...'. So good so far. When all is dry, I'll look into making a coaming for that area behind the i/p, not sure why Hobbycraft left a gaping hole :shrug:.

Stuart

• Like 9

A little bit done...

20220810-113311.jpg

I formed a coaming using 5 thou plasticard and painted it black. I test fitted the glazing, I think the I/P is too high as the pilots are going to see very little, also the seats sit a little high and prevent the canopy sitting properly. The top of the seats were very carefully sanded until everything was good. As this another 'wheels-up' scenario, I had to fit the undercarriage doors that were a little eehh:S but fitted they did and gloop applied to reduce the gaps. Fuselage seams all need attention but hey, it's 30+ years old.

Stuart

• Like 7

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

One I've not seen built before so good to see it here, & in such capable hands.

Cheers Steve. It is funny how some model types are not seen built, especially when they are kit of a well known aircraft. As for the capable hands, time will tell.

Stuart

• Like 1

More paint

20220823-154741.jpg

Topside

20220823-154724.jpg

There is a big white decal for the underneath but didn't want to chance it. Masked the white areas and applied Revell's Fire Red 330. When pealing the masking off, there was a fair bit of paint bleed, paint was too thin. All was made good and it's looking rather nice. Paint instructions don't mention anything about the leading edges being painted silver but evident from 'net pics, so that's the next job before decals which I'm not looking forward to.

Stuart

• Like 5

As I predicted...

20220825-114543.jpg

The decaling isn't a pleasant experience. The blue stripe comes as two decals, the aft section wasn't a problem but the long one that runs from the roundel forward wasn't going to follow my red line. So the long stripe was chopped up and made conform that way, not perfect but good enough when viewed on the ceiling. The rest of the decals were nice and thin but had a tendency to wrap around itself...nightmare. The port side decals are all but done, just need to sort out the blue stripe at the nose but I'll do that as the last thing to do. Time to de-stress before tackling the starboard decals.

Stuart

• Like 5

Years ago, when the kit first came out, I saw a display where someone had built nine of them and posed them halfway through a loop. If I remember correctly the wires holding them were curved like the loop, and covered in cotton wool to represent the smoke. Looked amazing. Models were like ten feet above the table!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Years ago, when the kit first came out, I saw a display where someone had built nine of them and posed them halfway through a loop. If I remember correctly the wires holding them were curved like the loop, and covered in cotton wool to represent the smoke. Looked amazing. Models were like ten feet above the table!

I think that actually made it into the Finescale modeling magazine. I remember seeing it many years ago also ? 

• Like 1

Calling this done...

20220830-095704.jpg

The rest of the decals went on little easier after learning how to handle them in the first pass. The nose section with the blue stripe was a nightmare but with a mixture of decal and paint, we got there. Fitted the front light lens and and added a pitot to starboard wing as there was nothing in kit or instructions.

20220830-095821.jpg

The kit location of the fuel tanks was incorrect and had to be relocated further forward.

With this job done, it's time to get back to the Sabres.

Stuart

• Like 3