1/350 Atlantic Models HMS PUMA

Better late than never I suppose.  I actually finished this model back in April but never managed to get the studio set up to take the RFI photos.  Prompted by the fact that I finished HECLA yesterday and had to post the photos for that today before the Falklands 40 GB closed, I thought it was as good as time as any to take PUMA's RFI photos as well.

WIP can be found here:

52271634785_da689bb4fd_b.jpg

52271631835_1a233738e3_b.jpg

52271631855_807402d28c_b.jpg

52271631870_6c8d64518a_b.jpg

52271136121_2d5e206684_b.jpg

52271136126_c0c7279173_b.jpg

52271132976_760b157621_b.jpg

52270168447_fe405a5d82_b.jpg

52271131166_363bc7dd80_b.jpg

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

An absolutely superb result Ralph. An excellent and realistic way to portray a warship like this, and it evokes many Navy Days I attended in my youth, mostly in Portsmouth. Happy days indeed!

I have yet to get to see this in the flesh, having missed the Poole Vikings show earlier in the year, but hopefully I'll get to see it for real sometime in the future!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

On 14/08/2022 at 08:06, Bertie McBoatface said:

I like this very much. Modern warships can be rather 'grey' in every way but you've brought this one to vivid life in a very creative way. Excellent idea and execution. 

I'm curious to know what the signal flags say.

That's the whole point of dress ship in that the flags are chosen to be in an order that they very specifically do not say anything.  There is a mandated order which starts at the Jack Staff up to the foremast, then from the foremast to mainmast and finally Ensign Staff up to main mast.  IIRC, I published the link to the online Book of Reference (BR) in the build log.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

That's the whole point of dress ship in that the flags are chosen to be in an order that they very specifically do not say anything.  There is a mandated order which starts at the Jack Staff up to the foremast, then from the foremast to mainmast and finally Ensign Staff up to main mast.  IIRC, I published the link to the online Book of Reference (BR) in the build log.

Ah, so this is signal flags as bunting. Trust the Navy to have a sequence laid down - they think of everything. 😄

• Like 2

On 17/08/2022 at 09:19, Bertie McBoatface said:

Ah, so this is signal flags as bunting. Trust the Navy to have a sequence laid down - they think of everything. 😄

Well the tactical comms branch were known as "bunting tossers" (hopefully that won't get me a black mark for bad language!)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Well the tactical comms branch were known as "bunting tossers" (hopefully that won't get me a black mark for bad language!)

I was actually aware of that but I was too scared to do any of the jokes that came to my mind. 😇

• Haha 1

On 22/08/2022 at 09:35, phildagreek said:

Looks very smart, the Yeoman would be proud.  As an ex communicator I can tell you that the whole dress ship palava was a real pain in the proverbial.

Fortunately it was never something that I had to get hands on with.   I always had a good team of communicators and it just happened!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is a great diorama, with great imagination and well executed.

This is the sort of scene at public open days that got me hooked on the Royal Navy and warships in general in my younger days, and your diorama captures the scene perfectly.

This could inspire me to get an Atlantic kit of a Cold War subject and have a go at one.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...