1/350 HMS HECLA - 3D printed

This build started here in maritime until someone pointed out that there was a Falklands 40 GB and there were very few maritime subjects being built.  So I'd only just started it and was allowed to transfer to the GB.   

WIP can be found here:

There are some photos in the GB gallery here: 

And here are some more:

52270227339_0e7e346dd4_b.jpg

52270227384_9191961011_b.jpg

52268995127_6a328b5f67_b.jpg

52269958311_c5c91d9167_b.jpg

52270227329_17d63dd265_b.jpg

52270448370_552809936f_b.jpg

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting in the GB gallery and here, but I have a feeling there aren't as many maritime modellers looking at the GB thread as there are here.  I dont think any of the images are duplicated.  If I have broken the rules if a Mod could let me know I'll take them down from here.

• Like 23

That is a lovely looking vessel Chewy. Well

You're right about few maritime modellers venture into the GB world but it does happen. Generally, I think it's because ships take longer than a GB allow, so it doesn't happen.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stuart.  I think you're right about the length of time.  The last GB I participated in was the Pacific War GB and IIRC it took me 15 months to complete BULOLO instead of the 3 months prescribed!

• Haha 2

I think it's routine procedure to post in RFI as well as GB gallery. I always do, anyway. 😄

I like this model. It's an interesting non-grey subject and well displayed. I like your work for those reasons as well as for the build/paint standards you show us. Yes, very good stuff!

• Thanks 1

Another great build @Chewbacca I am very impressed with the skill of the 3d printing I am hoping to get a printer soon for my retirement present to myself funny but Mrs b thinks she will be getting something out of it.  🤔

maybe I could print her a new hoover attachment.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 1

Gidday @Chewbacca, I'm a volunteer bushfire fighter, and during the summer the 6'oclock news usually shows the firefighters and the flames. They rarely show the support agencies, such as those that feed us, transport us, pump our tyres back up, look after us if we get hurt etc.   And our families at home that worry about us.

What's the relevance here you ask? Just this. You've chosen to display a support agency that probably doesn't get the recognition that you/it deserves and you've done it superbly. I'm sure the casualties you evacuated and cared for greatly appreciated you.

She's very well done, both as a subject and a model.  Top marks. 👍   Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw this for the first time at last nights club meeting. I too had missed it in the GB.

To say this is one of the most impressive maritime scratch builds (I consider 3D tech in that category) is an understatement. It is a beatiful and superbly finished model. A feast for the eyes!

A most impressive bit of modelling Ralph, and one which you can be truely proud of. And getting some of the back story first hand last night, was indeed a treat.

Well done!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  It was interesting talking to other club members on Wednesday (one of whom is a professional CAD engineer) how I might improve the hull lines to get the proper double curvatures particularly around the bow.  Fortunately with HECLA its not too pronounced but  I think my next 3D printed effort (not next model I stress!) will be FURIOUS set in 1942 and she will definitely need me to sort out the shape of the bow.

Still haven't decided what to start next from the stash.  SWMBO has invited me to do some DIY first...

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Beautiful ship. Me neither. I don´t think three months deadline is enough for boat modelling with aftermarket parts and designing seascapes.

I´ve been to a few GBs and the turnout was very low compared to other subjects. 🙄

• Thanks 1