Much disappointment!

BillF67

Today, visited Portsmouth Historic Docks for the first time. 

No upper masts on HMS Victory! Really spoiled that bit. Tour was OK/Good. 1st disappointment.

Mary Rose was very good but…..

I was totally blown away by HMS Warrior. In my opinion (and Mrs Bill wasn’t far behind) the star of the show, not least because it was so unexpected.

As soon as I got home, the good lady knocks me back by agreeing that the stash can grow by 1 ship. WHERE IS THE PLASTIC HMS WARRIOR? 2nd disappointment - it would appear that there isn’t one. Stash remains ungrown. (I have neither the skill or the money to acquire and/or build a wooden one).

Why isn’t there a reasonably priced plastic offering of this superb, groundbreaking vessel?

End of rant.

• Like 1

HMS Victory has some very serious structural problems as the hull sags between the trestles and the big steel masts that were fitted some decades ago started skewing the hull. She's been partially dismantled for several years now while careful long-term repair work is done to safeguard her future. This needs to be done with the hull unloaded as far as is practical.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillF67 said:

Many thanks, dnl42. I didn’t think to check Scalemates😖🥴. I now have a quest!

Jadar Hobby in Poland is one source for Armo kits. I haven't tried ordering from them since Brexit, but previously, I found them very reliable and willing to answer enquries in English.

In my very limited experience experience I have found Armo ship kits to be a range of interesting subjects, but the kits themselves are a little rough around the edges, clearly cast from a handmade master. Certainly not comparable to Combrig kit quality, even the oldest models in their range. Don't know how well you know the small-scale resin ship model market- I'd say they're similar in quality to Modelkrak kits.

To be honest, with a bit of effort, it wouldn't be all that difficult to scratchbuild Warrior in 1/700 scale- especially as a waterline model. She has a long parallel midsection and unlike the earlier wooden walls, not much tumblehome either. Fiddly bits such as ships boats could be easily robbed from plastic kits.

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m totally new to ships and not that experienced a modeller so scratch building is a no no. I found Jadar and the Warrior is not in stock. I will check back at intervals to see if she pops up.

Very many thanks for your replies - as always, this site provides just what is needed!

39 minutes ago, BillF67 said:

I’m totally new to ships and not that experienced a modeller so scratch building is a no no. I found Jadar and the Warrior is not in stock. I will check back at intervals to see if she pops up.

Very many thanks for your replies - as always, this site provides just what is needed!

Its in stock here, if you like:
https://www.super-hobby.com/products/HMS-Warrior-Royal-Navy-Armoured-Frigate.html?partner_id=9

They don't charge VAT for customers outside the EU, so you will only be charged VAT once on import. (if you are unlucky)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Billings make a kit of the Warrior.     It is big and in wood.I

Went onto Warrior a few years back. Very impressive.

The Victory was missing a lot of its upper rigging at the time.

Don't be afraid of wood kits- with laser cut, resin and metal parts the principles are just the same as plastic, and its easy to make planks, spars etc - just cut and sand.  Generally its much easier to repair mistakes than plastic - if you mess up a part then just make another one.

Of course the cost is another matter, but that Billings Warrior will keep you going for a year or two. Maybe start on something small first as practice.

OK I admit it - I now want that Warrior. But I'll get 1:1 scale kitchen done first.

On 10/08/2022 at 23:59, BillF67 said:

I’m totally new to ships and not that experienced a modeller so scratch building is a no no. 

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Scratchbuilding is far more accessible than most people realise. The best time to start is always ‘now’. Your first efforts might be visibly inferior to a kit but as you build expertise that gap will close. 

I’ve just looked at some plans of HMS Warrior and think she would be a good subject for a first build as long as you don’t want ‘perfection’ and don’t get too bogged down with the rigging.

• Like 3

Totally fair and correct, Bandsaw Steve. 

I have recently sort of thought about a scratch build but have shied away. I will use your words of encouragement and do something (although I will set my sights a bit lower than Warrior, I think.

VMT for the kick up the proverbial!

Bill

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BillF67 said:

I have recently sort of thought about a scratch build but have shied away. I will use your words of encouragement and do something (although I will set my sights a bit lower than Warrior, I think.

I've been in a similar state of mind about full scratchbuilding but having recently followed some excellent and educational scratchbuild WIPs here, I'm gathering courage. I'm still finding excuses though, like "First I'll have to build all of my stash of kits." 😁

I think I need to find a subject that's not too complicated, but which I find inspiring enough to maintain my interest through the inevitable stumbles.

12 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've been in a similar state of mind about full scratchbuilding but having recently followed some excellent and educational scratchbuild WIPs here, I'm gathering courage. I'm still finding excuses though, like "First I'll have to build all of my stash of kits." 😁

I think I need to find a subject that's not too complicated, but which I find inspiring enough to maintain my interest through the inevitable stumbles.

Having seen what you’ve been doing on Beagle and Lady Isabella, I don’t think you would struggle at all, old bean - or is that me hearty these days?

P.S. International Talk Like a Pirate day soon - 16 September 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BillF67 said:

Having seen what you’ve been doing on Beagle and Lady Isabella, I don’t think you would struggle at all, old bean - or is that me hearty these days?

P.S. International Talk Like a Pirate day soon - 16 September 

Yo ho ho!

22 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

They are the exact two criteria for a first (and probably any) scratchbuild. 👍

1 hour ago, BillF67 said:

Wow! Someone had taken note of something I said. I’m very impressed! When you get going make sure to post a WIP here as I will be most interested to watch progress. Besides, there are heaps of helpful folks here who can offer all kinds of advice. 👍

Warrior will be a complex subject if contemplating a large scale model of that ship as a first time model to scratchbuild, unless of course very confident in having the model making skills to pull it off!

Far better to develop your skills on less complicated models.

Rigging and unrealistic flags can make or break a model like the Warrior, so simplification and taking short cuts will detract from all the other work put in.

Edited by Noel Smith

On 8/14/2022 at 12:53 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Scratchbuilding is far more accessible than most people realise. The best time to start is always ‘now’. Your first efforts might be visibly inferior to a kit but as you build expertise that gap will close. 

I’ve just looked at some plans of HMS Warrior and think she would be a good subject for a first build as long as you don’t want ‘perfection’ and don’t get too bogged down with the rigging.

Agree, it's not as difficult as you think in 1/700 scale unless you're dealing with a very complicated hull form. And because there's so much aftermarket available for 1/700 plastic kits, a lot of the really fiddly stuff can just be bought off the shelf. I'm thinking things like ships boats, and even etched ratlines are available.

If you're interested, the book you want is John Bowen's "Miniature Merchant Ships". Primarily includes drawings for early-mid 20th century ships, but the info is valuable and volumes can be picked up for a couple of quid secondhand. Then of course there's the undisputed master, Robert Wilson, who I think has posted on here in the past. http://miniatureships.blogspot.com/2022/. Much to learn from watching his builds.

The ironic thing is modellers of my generation (early middle age) are increasingly turning away from old fashioned scratchbuilding techniques to the ever increasing use of CAD design and 3D printing. I feel very old fashioned carving bit of plasticard nowadays!

Either way, I'd encourage the original poster to have a go! Warrior in 1/700 is about 180mm in length. Making a mess of it is a matter of wasting a couple of sheets of cheap plasticard. That's going to be a lot cheaper than ruining a 600 quid Billings wooden model designed for experienced plank-on-bulkhead wooden model builders!

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:53 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:
On 8/10/2022 at 11:59 PM, BillF67 said:

I’m totally new to ships and not that experienced a modeller so scratch building is a no no. 

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Scratchbuilding is far more accessible than most people realise.

Gidday @BillF67, I have to agree with Steve here. My first efforts at scratch built parts were quite crude but I enjoyed doing them and still like the models I did. With time and practice I'm attempting more and more complicated items. And while many of the items I make can be bought as AM I enjoy making them, even if they don't look as good as bought stuff. But that's just me.

As others have recommended above, I'd suggest you start simple as a trial. Invent a ship if you like, your first whiff, to see how you go. Other than a bit of time and some basic materials you don't have a lot to lose, and much to gain.   HTH. Good luck, and regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

OK, been nagged into submission.

Probably not what you seafarers would do, but as a starter I’m going to try upgrading an Airfix 1/72 Control Tower by “making” windows, putting in the upstairs floor, partitioning both ground and upper floors (including putting in doors) and creating a bit of furniture.

I’ll even start it as a WIP in Dioramas once I’ve worked out how to do it. I’ll be looking at a previous build that did something like this for ideas and inspiration.

if I get on OK, then I’ll look for a simple boat.

Thanks for the push, folks.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2022 at 7:56 AM, BillF67 said:

VMT for the kick up the proverbial!

Bill

Look at the work of Bob Wilson - Merchant Ship miniatures that are gorgeous, he's done a few e-books on how - in detail. His Blog is here  He's also got a Facebook page. His techniques are mostly quite basic and approachable. Bob says he doesn't do kits because he hasn't the patience....

• Like 2