[Hasegawa 1/48] F-47D-30 (?) Fuerza Aerea Colombiana

First finished from a twin Jugs build started a few weeks ago, here's my interpretation of a Colombian F-47D-30(?) based on Hasegawa's bubbletop kit in 1/48.

jugx2_10.jpg

SitRep

F-47D-30 Fuerza Aerea Colombiana
Madrid AB
1950's

The end of the Second World War and the beginning of the Cold War saw the establishment by the United States of America of a succession of plans intended to provide modern military equipment under conditions for most of the allied nations,  among them certain republics of South America. The Lend Lease program, which lasted somewhat after 1945, was succeeded by the American Republic Project (ARP) from 1946, then the best known Mutual Defense Assistance Program (MDAP) and its many variations or sub-programs. In terms of combat aircraft, the USAAF / USAF kept the P-51 Mustang, so the P-47D Thunderbolt was selected, and several dozen airframes belonging to blocks 30 to 40 were thus be used in several Latin American Air Force. The Fuerza Aerea Colombiana took possession of eight P-47Ds in July 1947, while the country had been more or less immersed in a state of civil war since 1946 (If this ended in 1947, it was in fact only the first period of unrest in a long series which continues until today, making today the FAC one of the most experienced air forces in terms of anti-guerrilla warfare). Twelve other machines were authorized for sale in 1948, and delivered in two batches during 1949. All Thunderbolts are assigned to a Caza Bombardero Squadron, based in Madrid AB. Thirteen machines were still operational in 1952, and considering the direct participation of a Colombian contingent in the fighting in Korea, a new sale of fourteen machines was decided. Eleven of them arrived en bloc in May 1953, "diverted" from a ferry flight to Chile at the express request of the USAF Chief of Mission in Bogota, while the last three were delivered in September 1954. But the hour of retirement sounded, and the eighteen remaining machines were permanently banned from flying in December 1955, replaced by T-33s and Sabres.

Place aux photos.

jugx2_17.jpg

jugx2_19.jpg

jugx2_18.jpg

jugx2_20.jpg

jugx2_21.jpg

jugx2_22.jpg

• Like 14

Very fine building,

Fortunately I live a few kilometers away from a P-47D, from the Brazilian Air Force (FAB) that fought in Italy, in the Second World War, preserved in the "Expeditionary Museum".

SouthViper from Brazil 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SouthViper said:

Very fine building,

Fortunately I live a few kilometers away from a P-47D, from the Brazilian Air Force (FAB) that fought in Italy, in the Second World War, preserved in the "Expeditionary Museum".

SouthViper from Brazil 

Thanks guys,

I've other P-47D boxes, and I've plans for differents South American Air Forces. FAB is among them.

• Like 2