ESCI F-5A, 341st Sq., Hellenic Air Force...Eλληνικὴ Βασιλικὴ Ἀεροπορία...

John Masters

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Think I've seen sidewinders in a range of colours

They must designate certain types of internal ordinance or guidance, as was mentioned earlier.  I'll investigate.

I regards to the anti-glare panel...some images show a definite black panel and one shows that the panel was there but was overpainted or perhaps worn...

52273404151_5abcf688b0_c_d.jpg

I've masked mine and will paint the panel.  I think I'll overpaint it to tone it down.

52308837074_4d61fedf3c_z_d.jpg

52308854085_d9275b675b_z_d.jpg

Today I hope to start the weathering aspect of this build.

--John

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

possibly with better weight saving IRL than schemes continuously repaired and repainted.

Thanks Robert...I think also possibly fuselage repairs with non-matching paint...

• Like 1

Hi John,

Did you read the decals' instruction sheet? Because the actual paint scheme was Aegean Blue and Silver underneath not grey.

The early F-5s had the original seat and later on during the 80s and 90s they exchanged it with the Martin-Baker Mk. Q7 (with a slightly modified headrest) the one that F-104s had and the Mk.10 (same as the one the M2000s have).

Cheers,

Bill

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

Did you read the decals' instruction sheet? Because the actual paint scheme was Aegean Blue and Silver underneath not grey.

I'm going from the F-5 at the military museum in Athens.  

Too late!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

The early F-5s had the original seat and later on during the 80s and 90s they exchanged it with the Martin-Baker Mk. Q7 (with a slightly modified headrest) the one that F-104s had and the Mk.10 (same as the one the M2000s have).

Too late!

It's just a model.

Here's a great image...real wear and tear on this one...see those big pieces of bare fuselage...

52271505655_6824136234_k_d.jpg

Note the ventral pylon and the underside seem to be the same shade of grey while the fuel pod is aluminum.  The nose gear door also...Just counting my own rivets! 😄

--John

• Like 4

I began the crazy "weathering."  I'm pretty sure this dark paint is patched up panels/fuselage damage with off-colour paint.  I think I will go back with some lighter grey/blue and tidy up some areas, but as it stands I am happy.  I used a combination of airbrush, hairy brush (pin wash) and splogding with an ear bud.  Really thin paint and low psi...

I ended up making this darker.

52313460650_0166b398b4_z_d.jpg

52312220142_843290d3f6_z_d.jpg

52313460715_556c4ebb1f_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

8 hours ago, John Masters said:

Here's a great image...real wear and tear on this one...see those big pieces of bare fuselage...

52271505655_6824136234_k_d.jpg

Note the ventral pylon and the underside seem to be the same shade of grey while the fuel pod is aluminum.  The nose gear door also...Just counting my own rivets! 😄

--John

If it helps any John, I agree with your interpretation. Definitely looks grey under blue to me and the tank looks to be the only thing that looks like aluminum. 

Really loving this weathering. When I realised the kit decals (horrible yellow slime lights) were wrong and got an aftermarket sheet I was tempted by the blue Greek option. Maybe for my next F-5 I’ll see if I can do as well as you have. And if I do I’ll bear in mind the grey underside. 

Chris

34 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

And if I do I’ll bear in mind the grey underside. 

Thank you.  Also bear in mind the different sources for the Greek F-5.  Not all had the same colouring, depending on when and from where they originated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

heavily weathered

I think down here we have the opposite weather to Scandinavia:: heat, blazing sun, arid, maritime climate.  Throw a jet engine in there and some combat with an already well-used machine...I imagine airframe repairs on a 1970s era airfield were common and patchwork.  Just a guess, obviously.

• Like 1