ESCI F-5A, 341st Sq., Hellenic Air Force...Eλληνικὴ Βασιλικὴ Ἀεροπορία...

John Masters

52268847397_13ef01b43a_c_d.jpg

As promised...sort of...I won't be building my friend's uncle's aircraft which is all blue/grey and flown during Cyprus in the 70s.  I'll build this one instead...It will most likely have the same SEA camo it wore when it was purchased by the Americans after 1965.  The colour index for the profile doesn't seem right.  It calls for USN Grey in areas as well as white as part of the camo, mixed in with Olive Drab and Tan.  I'l have to find a better profile.

52270299990_f527d6c019_c_d.jpg

Nice looking sprue...

52269809351_024c304b7d_c_d.jpg

Great looking decals...

52270079474_6f8bcfa322_k_d.jpg

Let's hope they don't disintegrate!  It's an old kit...

Also, a nice link for the 341st...

https://www.haf.gr/en/structure/htaf/111-combat-wing/341-squadron/

I'll jump in presently.

--John

• Like 17

Welcome to the GB John, especially as you are bringing us a Greek F-5A!

I agree with you about the painting instructions, that doesn't sound right at all. Greek F-5's wore a great variety of schemes in their service life with everything from ex Jordanian aircraft in their original (very worn) desert colours to the Aegean blue scheme so you have plenty to choose from mate.

🇺🇦

I'm looking forward to seeing what this one turns out like.  So many choices for F-5s in terms of schemes, from the sublime to the ridiculous, and all of them interesting and intriguing.

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Not sure what you'll come up with – beyond a Greek F-5, but I have hopes for your build.

Thanks Robert.  I would like to find out the origin of this particular aircraft, then I can figure out the scheme.  If it is one of the Jordanian F-5 then I'll look and see.  I found an image of the exact aircraft on display at an airbase here and it is grey and looks...hmmm...like an airbase static display.  

52270033277_faf1b79dcd_c_d.jpg

5 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what this one turns out like.

Thanks Jack.  Me too!

• Like 2

Just now, modelling minion said:

Very diplomatic Martin, ever considered a job with the UN?😁

🇺🇦

Diplomatic? Moi??? ;) I'm not known for it around here, mate ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Excellent, John! Anything Greek suits me :)

Thanks!  

I should also say that anything Turkish also gets me interested ;)

Well, at least the cards are stacked evenly...😆

41 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I'll pull up a pew for this :popcorn:

The pressure is on then!  I have a feeling this was an American F-5.  The Jordanian F-5 were not purchased by Greece until '75...And I am suddenly leaning towards the SE Mediterranean Blue/Grey...

• Like 1

I knew I had this decal sheet.  This means I can pretty much build any Hellenic F-5A I choose.

52273893915_5fe5a22d28_c_d.jpg

And after looking at some of these images that I found online at the Airliners website and other sources not my own, I am inclined to lean in the Grey/Blue Aegean look.

Man...these things show their wear and tear.  

52273425733_08298f643b_c_d.jpg

52273664999_d295ea611e_c_d.jpg

52273404151_5abcf688b0_c_d.jpg

This could be a fun paint job.  Definitely lots of pre-shading and thin, thin, coats of paint.  Maybe even darker blues and greys in some areas.

And I started in last night...

52273893930_6cc02935d0_c_d.jpg

52273665379_b93f196109_c_d.jpg

Medium Grey primer will do well for the cockpit interior with some areas being black.  

--John

• Like 11

The Icarus decals are great. I have them for the F-84G, F-84F and T-33. You can pick out something great from that! :). 

Had the Thunderjet decals as well.  I passed on what I didn't use to another modeller here.  A fine Athenian Company is Icarus...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

This could be a fun paint job.  Definitely lots of pre-shading and thin, thin, coats of paint.  Maybe even darker blues and greys in some areas.

Fortune favours the brave! Great subject choice, this will look terrific!

That looks to be a really nice sheet John, I wonder if they do it in 1/48?

I like your choice of the Aegean scheme, especially a very worn and weathered one.

I notice from the pictures of your start on the build that you have fitted the chaff/flare dispensers on the side of the rear fuselage and I don't think they were fitted to aircraft in the Aegean scheme, although I may be wrong or they may have been fitted towards the end of their career.

🇺🇦

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I notice from the pictures of your start on the build that you have fitted the chaff/flare dispensers on the side of the rear fuselage and I don't think they were fitted to aircraft in the Aegean scheme, although I may be wrong or they may have been fitted towards the end of their career.

Dammit. To remove them now would damage the fuselage too much and I would basically bin the kit.  I wish people wouldn't tell me this stuff after the fact.  

I build on.  It's just a model.  Just a hobby.  

• Like 2

I may have to change the title of the thread once I decide on decals and so forth.  The cockpit assembly is going along and I have also assembled some smaller pieces.  I hope to have the main fuselage, etc...all buttoned up by this evening.  I also removed the flare dispensers that I had attached.  

52282011993_1c58cc3271_c_d.jpg

The cockpit pieces look good.  I used the suppled decals and discovered they are very fragile, probably due to age.  I'll end up using the Icarus sheet for the remainder to avoid any mishap.

52282484495_9b705232be_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11