Supermarine Spitfire Vb, W3760 Floatplane

I'd like to present my 1/72 Scale RAF Spitfire Vc floatplane W3760.

This started out as a PM Models kit, but ended up as 90% Airfix Spitfire Vc and just the floats and prop from the PM Model kit.  The PM kit is reminiscent of a 1960s Airfix kit... the new Airfix Vc is a joy. Added frustration was caused by the PM transfers, fortunately the only usable parts were the serial numbers. 

From above.....

spacer.png

From the front.....

spacer.png

Underneath...

spacer.png

And 3/4 view.

spacer.png

Overall, not a bad model of a very rare Spitfire version, there were 4 Vbs converted, they varied in many details as they evolved. Some were armed and trialed in Egypt on the Great Bitter Lake, so probably did not have yellow undersides. They also had a larger, straight front edged fin. 

There is a chapter in The Spitfire Story by Alfred Price with a good overview and photos. 

The full story of the build is here:

Including an IWM photo of the aircraft I tried to represent. 

Edited by 224 Peter
Typo and addition
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

That's a rather splendid representation of a very rare subject.  I've not seen a V.c with a 4 bladed prop... did they upgrade the engine to provide more power to overcome the drag of the water?

Either way - it looks aces!  Well done that man!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Russmeister 101 said:

That's a rather splendid representation of a very rare subject.  I've not seen a V.c with a 4 bladed prop... did they upgrade the engine to provide more power to overcome the drag of the water?

Either way - it looks aces!  Well done that man!

W3760 was fitted with a Merlin 45. So the 4 blade prop may well have been fitted to allow a smaller diameter prop, keeping the blade tips away from any spray. 

• Like 1