Airfix 1:48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1(trop)

I built this a number of years ago...   And for some reason I never got around to posting either the build log, or the reveal shots....

From what I can recall, the build presented few problems and was a fairly cathartic build...

So - with no further preamble.... I present to you my take on the venerable Hawker Hurricane Mk.1(trop)
y4miv9wC9cQibj3IbKtL5hDQYZBTj5IgoNa0SgRK

y4mr3RYkgns7NBHmh3ZdydS_9ibazehDj7UnUBRH

y4m0zEsydBa2W8yB_67OTrAFVjumm-pgYIZGAvVq

y4mWjc1og4X8-PT6f_tw-DZrAC5aNzPWK5EUI6EL

y4mctEqLSLfjKjWGmmYCOjJNC3x_EnIYJNtV2dZB

y4mdko04AXVEWYf0MfCH_j67qZmXtQD3k9Rj91AB

y4mAMCAXu3Nkt4ihsJosleFr5wnd9Is0t1sSAzfS

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Good work. Interesting paint job.

I believe that it was an attempt to bamboozle the enemy (Italians in this case) into thinking that it was a friendly aircraft... as they used a similar disruption pattern on their aircraft...  Assuming that I did read that somewhere and haven't dreamt it.... :D 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, neilspen said:

It is nice to see something different. There were some odd schemes. Great job.

Indeed there were... anything that would result in a reduced chance of a kite full of holes has to be worth a punt, eh?

Thanks for your comment :D :D :D

Edited by Russmeister 101
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2022 at 16:37, Russmeister 101 said:

I believe that it was an attempt to bamboozle the enemy (Italians in this case) into thinking that it was a friendly aircraft... as they used a similar disruption pattern on their aircraft...  Assuming that I did read that somewhere and haven't dreamt it....

This was the prevailing theory when there were only a few photos,   as that what it looked like.

More likely it was just camouflage for the prevailing environment, what has come up is the base colour was aluminium paint, and mottle possibly blue and purple,  I present link to a 9 page bunfight for those who wish to delve further

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922498-hurricane-spaghetti-scheme-i-said-it-was-blue/

With no real conclusion

buried in the above is this

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/raf-desert-station-1

note the still at 0.42 to 0.52,  and 1.48 and 2.23,  some very clearly show the aluminium paint.   

and the real P2638

Sgt_Dean_of_No_274_Squadron_RAF_examines

note how the sand has completely stripped the paint of the prop tips, but only on the rear face, the front would appear as normal... this is how prop blades wear BTW.

I have not idea what the colours of the leading edges are either on this.

Hope of interest

neat and tidy build, 

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1