Another Sundowner - F-5N 761547 in commemorative WW2 VF-11 Sundowners F6F scheme

Wings unlevel

That's a real shame that Xtradecal made such a simple mistake on the national markings Gerard, although I have to say that it is hardly a surprise as their research sometimes is on a par with Trumpeter and Hobby Boss, but the replacements you have used look much better even if they are of the later type.

Keep up the good work mate.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 17:34, Robert Stuart said:

Gallery this weekend?  OK.

Hope so, fingers crossed!

On 22/09/2022 at 17:47, modelling minion said:

That's a real shame that Xtradecal made such a simple mistake on the national markings

A bit odd given there’s no lack of reference images online, not like it was a an Fw 190 on the Eastern front…

On 22/09/2022 at 17:52, 81-er said:

I like the look of the new decals as well :)

Thanks James, I thought it was a pretty good recovery!

On 22/09/2022 at 21:49, stevehnz said:

I can see some of these decals heading this way soon.

Just go easy with the decal solution! :giggle:

14 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Very nice build and painting Gérard

Cheers Pat. I was especially happy with the white undersides, just a shame it will be largely unseen!

• Like 3

A bit of a stumble to the finish line - while applying a wash I managed to knock off a main gear leg, snapped off the LHS wingtip missile rail, and got glue on the LHS main gear undercarriage door, which of course ruined the tag number decal...! Plus the allure of my F-15 build diverted my attention away...

Repairs

But she's done:

Done

Not perfect, with a few trials and tribulations on the way through, but it's been a good skills development build. And with my focus on my F-15 build for the last 10 days or so giving me the distance of a little bit of time, in the end I'm pretty happy with it. As jackroadkill says, 

On 28/09/2022 at 05:33, jackroadkill said:

That's such a classy scheme.

(If a little hard to photograph, as my photos in the gallery show!)

This GB palaver is a lot of fun, and I've really enjoyed this GB in particular. Thanks to @Robert Stuart and @modelling minion for their top work as supportive hosts! And congrats to all who've taken part, there's some beautiful builds in the gallery and in progress, I always learn a lot by seeing what others do!

Cheers,

Gerard

• Like 7

Well despite the last minute trials and tribulations I really like your build Gerard.

You have done a great job on her from start to finish and have shown that this retro scheme really does look very good on the F-5, in fact it suits it just as well as a Hellcat or Corsair.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for having produced such an excellent model.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

On 04/10/2022 at 10:41, PattheCat said:

I say it again (with emphasis): niiice!

Thanks Pat! It is a great scheme, I'd love to do one of the commemorative Century of Naval Aviation Hornets in the same colours at some point.

Gerard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Thanks Pat! It is a great scheme, I'd love to do one of the commemorative Century of Naval Aviation Hornets in the same colours at some point.

Gerard

Personally, I'd like a kit of the T-7 to come out with the first markings honouring the Red Tails but indeed the Hornet also looks great in a WWII USN scheme.