Another Sundowner - F-5N 761547 in commemorative WW2 VF-11 Sundowners F6F scheme

Wings unlevel

On 09/09/2022 at 07:25, jackroadkill said:

This one's coming on well - I'm looking forward to your next instalment.

Cheers Jack, not a whole lot to show for my next instalment despite a number of hours at the bench today:

Β 

Primed

Β 

But, I think I’m ready for paint. Today I attached the little blisters by the intakes and exhausts (a simple but painful job, but somehow I managed to avoid any of them disappearing from my clutches!); painted the undercarriage bays and landing gear door insides; reinstalled the control stick and seat; masked and attached the canopy; tidied up a few little areas (primarily around the intakes); and reprimed where necessary.

Β 

Now the fun can begin!

Β 

Β 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Paint next?

Paint underway! Paint … err … underside?

Β 

White belly

White undersides now painted. Multiple light thin coats at lowish pressure of SMS lacquer builtΒ up quite nicely I think. Now drying before masking and tackling the top sides during the week.
Β 

Looking forward to dressing it in its navy blues!

• Like 7

16 hours ago, 81-er said:

Looking forward to the blues

Cheers James!

Β 

First blue down, FS35164 courtesy of SMS β€˜intermediate blue’.
Β 

FS35164

Β 

Went down ok I think, but it won’t really take on its WW2 retro personality until the deep blue goes on. But it is slowly revealing itself…

Β 

Gerard

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

this scheme might relate back to the three colour Corsair and Hellcat schemes?

Hey Robert, yes it commemorates VF-11 squadron, the original ’Sundowners’ from WW2. On the left hand side by the cockpit it bares the name Lt Cdr Gene Fairfax, who was VF-11 CO in late 44 early 45 when they were flying Hellcats off the USS Hornet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think she's going to look great in this retro US Navy scheme

Thanks Craig, I think she looks alright.

Β 

Mr Color 365

Β 

Mr Color 365 sea blue for the dark blue (quality as always). Not 100% happy with my masking, and it’s quite hard to photograph, but I do like the incongruous sight of an F5N (sorry F-5N) dressed as an F6F.

Β 

Just the hot section and some tidy-ups left to go for painting.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

I think she looks alright.

I think she looks a lot better than alright!

This scheme really does look very good on the F-5, and I suspect would look good on other aircraft too.

I think you did a great job on the masking as it has turned out superbly.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think she looks a lot better than alright!

Β 

13 hours ago, 81-er said:

Very nice work there, I really like that :)

Β 

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This looks very good with that retro-scheme.

Thanks gents, appreciate the comments and support. Glad to be bringing a different take on the F-5 to the GB! πŸ‘

• Like 2

Hot end painted plus I’ve remasked and touched up some of the transitions between the two blues, which I’m much happier about, and have gloss coated.

Β 

Hot end

Not my finest paint job in the end - the medium blue does not seem to have sprayed as smoothly as I’d have liked in the end, which the dark blue and gloss over the top seem to have exacerbated - but I think I’ll live with it.

Β 

Decals, a wash and a matt coat and I think I’ll be much happier.

• Like 6

Thanks Craig, James, Robert, I do appreciate the encouragement. I was contemplating sanding it back and repainting, but that’s probably unnecessary, plus I feel the F-15 GB clock ticking!

Β 

With that decals are down…

Β 

Decals

Β 

Couple of issues with the decals. First, the national markings aren’t on a white background, which they should be. Second, and this one is all me, they don’t like too much Mr Mark Setter decal solution. I know the Mr Mark Setter/Softer pairing (at least the full strength versions available here in Aus) are likely designed for thicker Japanese Hasegawa/Tamiya decals, so I’m extra judicious using them on thinner decals such as these. But I needed to use a little Setter to help the decals adhere, and managed to overdo it on one of the national roundels…

Β 

Decals

Β 

😀

Β 

My solution - usused decals from an Academy F/A-18A USMC VMFA-232 Red Devils boxing which has high vis national markings pretty much exactly the same size…

Β 

Decals

They’re not accurate as they have the post 1947 red bar (and the blue should be deeper). But at least they have the white background. Next time round using Extradecals I’ll use (buy first!) Micro Sol and Set as the instructions say! (To be far I used Extradecals on my Matchbox Lightning earlier this year without issue with Mr Mark, but I can’t complain when I didn’t follow the instructions! Plus I’m really glad this decal set exists, I still love the scheme and colours.)

Β 

Hopefully it’ll be in the gallery come Sunday so I can go Maximum Effort on my F-15! (Sorry F-15 GB in joke!)

Β 

Gerard

Β 

• Like 9